Trip to Italy

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2020 11:14 am
Tags:
Nov 1, 2016
14 posts
17 upvotes

Trip to Italy

Just saw the news about Italy declares state of emergency over coronavirus and will last 6 month. Booked the trip in June. Should I cancel the trip now?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1073 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
My check of the news feeds feed didn't show anything described as a national emergency. Just that they are suspending flights from China, as many other places are doing. I certainly wouldn't cancel based on current info.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
OP, we are also going to Italy (Central) - departing late June. I checked the government website - threats are still considered "normal" which is the lowest ranking.

We are not about to cancel our trip - and unless our Trip/Medical Insurance Provider deems that it will not cover us should we travel, we won't be cancelling. We booked our trip last Sept. We booked well within the window that would allow for trip cancellation insurance to cover us should we have to cancel based on our Trip Cancellation Provider. I also keep in touch with our small hotel proprietors and they would tell me if there was an issue (we have been many times).

I did read the article you referenced - normal procedures are being followed.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
lbshome wrote: Just saw the news about Italy declares state of emergency over coronavirus and will last 6 month. Booked the trip in June. Should I cancel the trip now?
Unfortunately nobody has a crystal ball to determine what the situation will be like in June.

I’m heading to Italy in a few days and going on a cruise with family members. I just received notification this morning that anyone with a Chinese passport and/or anyone who has travelled to mainland China or Hong Kong will be denied boarding.

Given there are already cases in Canada (and I doubt anyone is going to pick up and move) it’s safe to say that your chances are no better or worse by just staying home.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10243 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote: Unfortunately nobody has a crystal ball to determine what the situation will be like in June.

I’m heading to Italy in a few days and going on a cruise with family members. I just received notification this morning that anyone with a Chinese passport and/or anyone who has travelled to mainland China or Hong Kong will be denied boarding.

Given there are already cases in Canada (and I doubt anyone is going to pick up and move) it’s safe to say that your chances are no better or worse by just staying home.
I mean I get people who've been to china . But Chinese passport? People can have a Chinese passport but not been in China for years or longer . But interesting that they left out Macau?

Much like I have friends who hold UK passports but haven't been to UK in decades
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
Just spoke to my cousin last night who lives in Rome. She sent me pictures of a cafe (frequented by tourists) with the staff wearing head to toe hazmat suits. I have yet to see that in Toronto where we also have (2?) confirmed cases which is equivalent to the outbreak in Italy.

It’s also a very prime time for tourists visiting from China right now (winter) so they are walking targets. I hate to say this but there’s a lot of prejudice in Italy that has become very obvious over the last few years. There was a political party (popular with the young and older generation) that had views similar to the “make America great again” campaign (“Italia numero uno”) along with that there is such thing as “over-tourism” that has affected certain parts of Italy (locals moving out/can’t find housing due to the rise of AirBnB). The racism seems to be directed mostly at Asian tourists (by no fault of their own just by the way they look) and to migrants who have settled there from Africa & the Middle East. I’m not defending this views but I’ve witnessed (and couldn’t believe my ears) Italians mumbling some pretty awful phrases in foreign tongue to these groups of people. There is a very strong public demand to ban a large group of tourists from entering Italy (which is hard to do given it’s pretty easy to enter Italy bc of the EU).

Edit**** here is the article
https://roma.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020 ... 247246234/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)