Expired Hot Deals

[Tripcentral] Grand Bahia Mexico 4+ 11 day for 900 per person from Montreal

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2018 12:24 pm
Oct 18, 2007
357 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
this is a great deal, if you can get even half of the days with sunny weather you'll enjoy.
Mar 1, 2017
245 posts
47 upvotes
Direct flights with excellent times. Price is excellent. Stayed at neighbouring property a little closer to the beach. Very nice. Better to talk to someone on the ground about the weather. It can be raining all day, or just in the morning or evening. I'd be surprised that you're looking at rain all the time. Have also heard that seaweed is getting better.

MT
Feb 18, 2010
773 posts
260 upvotes
Greely
I've stayed at this hotel before. Good food, nice accommodations. About an hour bus ride from the Cancun airport...
Jul 1, 2018
29 posts
247 upvotes
I returned from this complex a week ago. There are four resorts. Sian K’aan and Akumal being luxury resorts and Coba and Tulum being the standard ones.

Bracelets from the luxury resorts can access all of them, which is what I did. Food at the non luxury resorts was noticeably lower quality but decent. The beach and water were covered in sea weed. Literally no one was swimming, but the pools were huge and that’s where the real party is. They had a whole crew of people cleaning the seaweed up but it was a thankless gig because by afternoon it would be full of seaweed again. Straws don’t exist so bring your own as the sanitation and handling of the cups is a little questionable. The weather forecasts for Mexico are wildly inaccurate. I wouldn’t stress about the rain as it either doesn’t happen or it happens for 20 minutes and goes away.

I paid $809 for a week at the luxury Sian K’aan, the people I talked to paid between $1200-$1800 per person. Having said all of that, this is a fantastic value. Just adjust your expectations accordingly. With this deal you’d have access to Coba and Tulum, but not Sian K’aan or Akumal.

Edit: The vibe of the resort is more party than relaxation. You’ll find 80% British adult travelers and 20% Canadians.
Last edited by AgentV on Oct 13th, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2016
1322 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nope, usually October it goes away and I recently got back, was gorgeous.
n-ster wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 12:25 pm
Isn't there a horrible seaweed problem in Mexico / the Caribbean right now?
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2016
1322 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto, ON
May-Sept it’s bad, October it cleans up
andyyuen wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 1:20 pm
I was there late June,it's crazy. The seaweed strip is like two meters wide, half a meter high and it is along the whole beach
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3256 posts
1668 upvotes
niuroufensi wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 2:12 pm
I am in Cancun right now, not too bad at all, you have a little bit every morning, and they clean it up.
On vacation out of Country and still checking into RFD and posting replies. HARDCORE.
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7476 posts
3631 upvotes
ON
n-ster wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 12:25 pm
Isn't there a horrible seaweed problem in Mexico / the Caribbean right now?
They need more vegetarians in that part of the coast to take care of that seaweed problem...
Jun 22, 2015
93 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary, AB
loopy1984 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 2:53 pm
May-Sept it’s bad, October it cleans up
Since November 2017, they've been battling seaweed and its been unusually bad.... unswimmably bad for most of the 2018. I hear the storm Michael cleaned it up a bit this week but it may come back.. very sad.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2016
1322 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That’s actually not true, I go 3-4 times a year. Was just there in September (Punta Cana, same issues as riviera maya) beach was great. Was in Playa Mujeras in May, beach was spotless, then was in Tulum in January no seaweed...was in playa Del Carmen dec 3rd last year no issues.

If you want no sargassum you should go from October-May. Once the summer starts it can get really really bad, but places Like Jamaica, Bahamas, Pacific Ocean parts of Mexico aren’t affected.
osman3500 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 3:26 pm
Since November 2017, they've been battling seaweed and its been unusually bad.... unswimmably bad for most of the 2018. I hear the storm Michael cleaned it up a bit this week but it may come back.. very sad.
Jun 22, 2015
93 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary, AB
That advice worked historically but not this year. It's been pretty bad. I've been there twice in the past 12 months as well.

Not going to argue further but others can read the following and make up their own minds:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1 ... nsula.html
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1 ... nsula.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... 53484241c9
loopy1984 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 3:33 pm
That’s actually not true, I go 3-4 times a year. Was just there in September (Punta Cana, same issues as riviera maya) beach was great. Was in Playa Mujeras in May, beach was spotless, then was in Tulum in January no seaweed...was in playa Del Carmen dec 3rd last year no issues.

If you want no sargassum you should go from October-May. Once the summer starts it can get really really bad, but places Like Jamaica, Bahamas, Pacific Ocean parts of Mexico aren’t affected.