• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2018 12:24 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2008
1719 posts
361 upvotes
n-ster wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 12:25 pm
Isn't there a horrible seaweed problem in Mexico / the Caribbean right now?
Stayed at the akumal section of this hotel. It’s right next to the beach area which had a man made barrier that should keep the seaweed out.
Anyway call ahead and ask if so inclined that it’s a deal breaker. I miss Mexico Regional Indicator Symbol Letters Mx and for this price would go back in a heart beat
Dec 22, 2009
155 posts
96 upvotes
YYC
niuroufensi wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 2:12 pm
I am in Cancun right now, not too bad at all, you have a little bit every morning, and they clean it up.
Respect to the true rfd'er watching threads at the beach!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16543 posts
6444 upvotes
Oakville
I've been to this resort. Coba is far from the beach (gotta take a tram), but the Coba kids pool is awesome. Food is decent (I'd put it at a solid 4 star for Riviera Maya standards, no higher), evening entertainment is great too. If you're looking to reserve a la carte for big groups, forget about it). Our friends had their ceiling partially cave in (about a 3ft x3ft area) from a leaking a/c unit, but our room was fine.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Dec 22, 2009
155 posts
96 upvotes
YYC
I'm heading down for Halloween, my biggest fear is forgetting my Tums or the 1:2 drinks to water consumption ratio to avoid the memorable shi**t facing while getting my money worth in booze!
Dec 19, 2016
211 posts
178 upvotes
old sparks wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 2:30 pm
I've stayed at this hotel before. Good food, nice accommodations. About an hour bus ride from the Cancun airport...
Yeah, I went last year as well. Fun resort, but its definitely over an hour from the Airport by bus (1.5-2 but maybe it depends on how many stops they make for other resorts).
wearysky wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 6:35 pm
I've been to this resort. Coba is far from the beach (gotta take a tram), but the Coba kids pool is awesome. Food is decent (I'd put it at a solid 4 star for Riviera Maya standards, no higher), evening entertainment is great too. If you're looking to reserve a la carte for big groups, forget about it). Our friends had their ceiling partially cave in (about a 3ft x3ft area) from a leaking a/c unit, but our room was fine.
My room was good too, so maybe just bad luck for your friends. You're right about the evening entertainment, as the few shows I did see were all really good!

Seaweed was kind of a problem during my trip (April 2017) at this resort, but they worked nonstop cleaning it up, so you could at least go in the water in the contained areas.

I stayed 7 days for over this, so it's definitely a hot deal at 11 days. +1 vote from me Op, though I don't have enough vacation days left this year to take advantage Disappointed But Relieved Face
Aug 8, 2010
174 posts
89 upvotes
Quebec
At that kind of price, do yourself a favor and save the miserable bus ride in favor of a private transport. Canada transport is awesome.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2542 posts
740 upvotes
Kingston
I went here years ago. It’s a mega resort with lots to do. It’s also at the right end of the area for the best attractions such as free swimming with sea turtles at Akumal (the town, not the section of the hotel), the ruins at Tullum, the big water park (XelHa?) and the spider monkey reserve (need taxi and also need to reserve well ahead). Playa del Carmen is nearby too but there been a few cartel issues there relatively recently with ferry explosions and shootings. When the beaches were clear of seaweed they were nicest in this area too.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16543 posts
6444 upvotes
Oakville
jslabonte wrote:
Oct 14th, 2018 10:25 am
At that kind of price, do yourself a favor and save the miserable bus ride in favor of a private transport. Canada transport is awesome.
100% this. Totally worth doing a private transfer.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3240 posts
1018 upvotes
BC
loopy1984 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 3:33 pm
That’s actually not true, I go 3-4 times a year. Was just there in September (Punta Cana, same issues as riviera maya) beach was great. Was in Playa Mujeras in May, beach was spotless, then was in Tulum in January no seaweed...was in playa Del Carmen dec 3rd last year no issues.

If you want no sargassum you should go from October-May. Once the summer starts it can get really really bad, but places Like Jamaica, Bahamas, Pacific Ocean parts of Mexico aren’t affected.
I'm trying really hard to find accurate information on Sargassum for an early January trip. Is it a complete non issue for most places during this time? Looking at MR or PC.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2016
1326 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You will be fine
Feegus wrote:
Oct 14th, 2018 4:54 pm
I'm trying really hard to find accurate information on Sargassum for an early January trip. Is it a complete non issue for most places during this time? Looking at MR or PC.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4881 posts
464 upvotes
Victoria
jslabonte wrote:
Oct 14th, 2018 10:25 am
+2 it's called Canada Transfers. They used to take CAD at par but not anymore I guess
Not a political sig
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
5535 posts
491 upvotes
Ottawa
thanks OP for the tripcentral site, i'm in the market for our first AI and this site seems legit with no noise
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4979 posts
1218 upvotes
Toronto
900 is a steal for an 11 days all inclusive vaca with flight and shuttle and room and food
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1421 posts
560 upvotes
Laval
You can buy the upgrade (Royal Golden Nugget they call it)...it will include direct transport from airport to the hotel
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16543 posts
6444 upvotes
Oakville
mtlmonk wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 3:57 pm
You can buy the upgrade (Royal Golden Nugget they call it)...it will include direct transport from airport to the hotel
I would 10000% recommend a direct transfer for this resort. Even with a direct transfer, it's roughly an hour and a half drive. If you're stopping to unload at a bunch of other resorts on the way? You're looking at an easy 2 hours, if not more.