• Jan 17th, 2019 9:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17722 posts
1757 upvotes
Space for rent

Tropicana oj labelling misleading

Just saw today there is regular oj with and without pulp then there is ok with no added sugar. So when. They make those commercials about their products being not from concentrate and here's the decorative part, straight from Florida oranges they claim it's all natural and isn't altered in anyway that means no added sugar yet the most popular kind is the regular with or without pulp and people buy them believing it's just oranges without the mess.

What a crock!
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5080 posts
1768 upvotes
I haven't bought Tropicana in years after hearing what they did. The only thing I don't know is whether other OJ brands are guilty of the same practices as Tropicana.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5168 posts
2144 upvotes
Orange Juice consumption has been declining for a decade. I think after people realized that OJ is simply vitiminized soda then they stopped buying it. The industry got away with tricking the consumers for decades but most people know you do not drink OJ for health.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
833 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Here we go with another thread claiming orange juice is the new tobacco.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12583 posts
1952 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I went to Safeway and looked at the Tropicana. Saw regular, pulp, and calcium fortified. Which one has added sugar?

U should not drink oj because the fructose spikes ur insulin or something. So, eat an orange instead because it has fiber.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23891 posts
9462 upvotes
Tropicana has always been "100% OJ"

What that actually means is a different thread, but I've never seen sugar in any of this category of juice.

Even their "light" drink doesn't have sugar.

Water, not from concentrate orange juice, modified corn starch, citrus pulp, natural orange flavour, potassium citrate, malic acid, citric acid, corn maltodextrin, vitamin c (ascorbic acid), mixed tocopherols, reb a (natural pure stevia extract), magnesiu
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17722 posts
1757 upvotes
Space for rent
Becks wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:44 pm
I went to Safeway and looked at the Tropicana. Saw regular, pulp, and calcium fortified. Which one has added sugar?

U should not drink oj because the fructose spikes ur insulin or something. So, eat an orange instead because it has fiber.
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:21 pm
Tropicana has always been "100% OJ"

What that actually means is a different thread, but I've never seen sugar in any of this category of juice.

Even their "light" drink doesn't have sugar.

Water, not from concentrate orange juice, modified corn starch, citrus pulp, natural orange flavour, potassium citrate, malic acid, citric acid, corn maltodextrin, vitamin c (ascorbic acid), mixed tocopherols, reb a (natural pure stevia extract), magnesiu
I think it was my habit of taking liberties with what I read and misinterpreting what is actually being stated. As I said, I was looking at the various varieties they had and only one of them stood out with the labelling of 'no added sugar' therefore I assumed the other ones has added sugar otherwise why point it out on this particular line? Hope that clears it up for people but then again, they are not beneath deceptive advertising.

Case in point:

selling water downed OJ as the 'healthier' OJ under their Trop50 label.

http://www.sogoodblog.com/2012/02/17/pe ... consumers/
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11334 posts
6138 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Could be oranges from all over the world.....

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:07 am
Just saw today there is regular oj with and without pulp then there is ok with no added sugar. So when. They make those commercials about their products being not from concentrate and here's the decorative part, straight from Florida oranges they claim it's all natural and isn't altered in anyway that means no added sugar yet the most popular kind is the regular with or without pulp and people buy them believing it's just oranges without the mess.

What a crock!
Big deal!!!!!!!!

If you are so concerned, then buy your own oranges and squeeze your own OJ.

If squeezing your own OJ is too time consuming or too much work, then don't complain about the OJ you buy out there.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Apr 12, 2008
564 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:07 am
. . . straight from Florida oranges . . .
Don't know if it's true, but I've been told that Tropicana sold in Canada is made with Brazilian oranges.
Feb 5, 2007
441 posts
108 upvotes
Mississauga
This changed OJ for me
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17722 posts
1757 upvotes
Space for rent
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 9:09 pm
Big deal!!!!!!!!

If you are so concerned, then buy your own oranges and squeeze your own OJ.

If squeezing your own OJ is too time consuming or too much work, then don't complain about the OJ you buy out there.
You must own PepsiCo stock because I don't know why you're so upset that a company with misleading advertisement is being called out on.

A lot of people drink oj in the morning and Tropicana has made their fortune on the ethos that their product is no different from squeezing ornages yourself.

It was shocking enough to learn that they basically take out the nutrients and keep it in stasis until it was ready to use then pumped it back in with added flavour shots. So what else are they not telling us until they are called on it?
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3137 posts
503 upvotes
No,. @AV-Fishing is pointing out that you should make your own decision and change your own behaviour.

I read https://www.amazon.ca/Squeezed-What-Abo ... 0300164556 and stopped drinking orange juice.

As someone else mentioned, just eat a real orange. It has fibre in it and less sugar in one orange.
  • "If you look at the amount of fiber in juice compared to 1 cup of orange segments, it's 0.7 grams and 4.3 grams, respectively. " - Fibre also keeps you "full" longer than juice and it's good for you
  • "A portion of OJ (1/2 cup) contains 10.5 grams of sugar. It takes 1 1/2 oranges to make 1/2 cup of orange juice—so whether you eat the fruit or drink the juice, you'll get the same amount of sugar. " - But who eats 1.5-3 oranges at a time compared to people who drink 1/2-1 cup of orange juice at a time.
Source: https://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/di ... ange-juice

If you're so concerned, just eat an orange instead of drinking it. Problem solved.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23891 posts
9462 upvotes
poorwingman wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 7:47 am
But who eats 1.5-3 oranges at a time compared to people who drink 1/2-1 cup of orange juice at a time.
I eat about 8 at a time. But I also drink an entire 2L in one session too so I guess it balances out.