• Oct 27th, 2019 8:46 pm
[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
83 posts
12 upvotes
Thunder bay

Trouble with a new boss

Hi all.

Recently our supervisor at work left, and we received a new one.

The new supervisor is really coming down on us hard, (at least I think so and you guys feel free to chime in on what you think) for more production.

A few examples - coming up to you and saying “I want to watch how you work” and literally just standing there to watch you for a few minutes. Another would be a worker hurting his thumb, staying home because of the injury and then the supervisor using a derogatory word to describe him the next day at the stand up meeting. Another is him coming
up behind us working and just standing there quit making notes in his notebook while observing us.

The whole shift is planning to go to hr tomorrow to complain, but none of us really knows if this is a type of harassment?

What do you guys think?
13 replies
Mar 16, 2007
187 posts
45 upvotes
GTA
A few examples - coming up to you and saying “I want to watch how you work” and literally just standing there to watch you for a few minutes. Do not see any problem. He is new and wants to see what you are doing and have a better understanding of the job.

Another would be a worker hurting his thumb, staying home because of the injury and then the supervisor using a derogatory word to describe him the next day at the stand up meeting. Not acceptable.

Another is him coming up behind us working and just standing there quit making notes in his notebook while observing us. See the first comment. Again, it seems that he needs to better communicate with you guys. I work in manufacturing and whenever I am doing any study on the floor, I always let people know what I am about to do.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3295 posts
1218 upvotes
Rule number 1 for ALL people in the workforce: Manners maketh man.

Calling names or using disparaging language is clear evidence of a poor manager. Is this his first job as a people manager? He should be disciplined.

He is free to watch / observe / micromanage but even then, he has to be polite about it. Otherwise he is just a creep looking over your shoulder.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
83 posts
12 upvotes
Thunder bay
Hi guys.

Yes, this is his first job as a supervisor.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1150 upvotes
Of the 3 things you described, the 1st and 3rd don't sound too bad. The 2nd one is not acceptable.

Obviously you guys feel uncomfortable. Maybe just have a frank discussing with the guy first instead of going straight to HR? I believe most issues should be attempted to be resolved directly between the parties first.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
83 posts
12 upvotes
Thunder bay
Am I to take it that this constant behaviour is ok?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2154 posts
912 upvotes
Alberta
What I do when starting a new role is if one of my staff prepares a report and I am supposed to review. I sit down with them when they are doing it so I can get an understanding of what info is pulled for the report etc. how am i supposed to review something I don’t understand ? However I set a meeting to do this. I just don’t stand over them to see how they are working. That’s a bit much.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10688 posts
6941 upvotes
Edmonton
Being a d1ck or a creep or whatever isn't illegal. If it was, the jails would be even fuller, and the lineups at Tim Hortons would be much shorter.

If you don't like it, start looking for another job. If enough of you complain about him, you might be able to get him replaced (or get him to change his processes), but I'd be more concerned about looking out for myself.

C
[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
83 posts
12 upvotes
Thunder bay
Seems 2 things are clear

He’s a prick and I need to move on. Thanks for the input everyone
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6219 posts
1287 upvotes
Toronto
jinglebell79 wrote: Seems 2 things are clear

He’s a prick and I need to move on. Thanks for the input everyone
Ask all your co-worker to walk out at the same time, that way the HR or the higher authority will ask all of you why walk out? Then got your chance to explain the problem with the new supervisor.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1152 posts
988 upvotes
Toronto
Watching you work is normal in some industries.
In manufacturing, in particular, they would videotape people for the whole shift, then tell the person how to improve in their efficiency, motion and ergonomics.

Making notes in notebook is ok too.

Depends on the industry.

Ask for a safe space you can go to at break.
Jan 9, 2011
334 posts
154 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Specify what term(s) were felt to be derogatory. Different people have different perceptions.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1467 posts
105 upvotes
GTA (West)
He needs leadership coaching.

Sounds like.

Been in similar situations as the OP. I left the job after 6 months.

On the plus side - the new job was really good and a good decision looking back .. circa .. 2007.
Please thank me if you find this helpful