Careers

TRSM Co-op students are now exempt from the 2 year minimum for work experience and GMAT score

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2020 12:57 am
[OP]
Jan 8, 2010
160 posts
88 upvotes

TRSM Co-op students are now exempt from the 2 year minimum for work experience and GMAT score

Email was sent out to all Ryerson BM students.

“Co-op graduates can now bridge to MBA

We have been working very closely with the Ted Rogers MBA program to create a unique pathway for Co-op graduates to register for the MBA program starting this Fall.

The good news - every student graduating from the Ted Rogers Co-op program will now be:

Exempt from submitting a GMAT score

Exempt from completing an additional 2 years of work experience (they will accept your completed work terms as the equivalent)

All other admission requirements will still apply. This pathway is an option for all Co-op students, whether you are graduating this year or in the next few years.”
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2008
1027 posts
384 upvotes
Markham
Brown Thug wrote: Email was sent out to all Ryerson BM students.

We have been working very closely with the Ted Rogers MBA program to create a unique pathway for Co-op graduates to register for the MBA program starting this Fall.

The good news - every student graduating from the Ted Rogers Co-op program will now be:

Exempt from completing an additional 2 years of work experience (they will accept your completed work terms as the equivalent)

All other admission requirements will still apply. This pathway is an option for all Co-op students, whether you are graduating this year or in the next few years.”
tuition cash grab
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1226 posts
654 upvotes
Waterloo
There's not really much value in fresh business undergrads going straight into an MBA program...
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1463 posts
1603 upvotes
Toronto
unowned wrote: tuition cash grab
Totally. Also waters down the degree but Ryerson isn't too concerned with that if they are planning on taking this approach for a few years.
Apr 17, 2015
494 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Brown Thug wrote: Email was sent out to all Ryerson BM students.

Do you mind posting the email sent from Ryerson?

I assume this is only open to brand new TRSM students; if this policy is open to older TRSM grads I would be all over this (I have been slacking on doing a GMAT).

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5026 posts
1201 upvotes
Yeah this isn’t great.

Not really in the same league as a real MBA.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
[OP]
Jan 8, 2010
160 posts
88 upvotes
sundin4prez wrote: Do you mind posting the email sent from Ryerson?

I assume this is only open to brand new TRSM students; if this policy is open to older TRSM grads I would be all over this (I have been slacking on doing a GMAT).

Thanks!
I saw it posted here - https://www.reddit.com/r/ryerson/commen ... he_2_year/. Reach out to the Ryerson students in the sub.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1226 posts
654 upvotes
Waterloo
Brown Thug wrote: I saw it posted here - https://www.reddit.com/r/ryerson/commen ... he_2_year/. Reach out to the Ryerson students in the sub.
Great discussion in that thread!

For you business school undergrads reading this now or in the future, here's some advice: don't do your MBA right out of undergrad. Just don't. Save yourself money, time, effort and heartache and only consider it after working for 4+ years.
Nov 22, 2017
613 posts
355 upvotes
unowned wrote: tuition cash grab
All MBA programs are tuition cash grabs.

I can see why Ryerson did this for their own students. Their GPA requirement should still be in place. Graduates will have a tough time finding a job due to the pandemic. 16 month of experience is nothing especially when it comes from co-op. The GMAT is not there to determine your capabilities, its a standardized test to ensure students coming from other schools are able to perform similarly regardless of their GPA (since students are coming from the same school, the confidence is there already from the administration). Not to mention Ryerson knows its not competing with Ivey, Rotman and Queens MBAs.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2008
1027 posts
384 upvotes
Markham
Extrahard wrote: All MBA programs are tuition cash grabs.

I can see why Ryerson did this for their own students. Their GPA requirement should still be in place. Graduates will have a tough time finding a job due to the pandemic. 16 month of experience is nothing especially when it comes from co-op. The GMAT is not there to determine your capabilities, its a standardized test to ensure students coming from other schools are able to perform similarly regardless of their GPA (since students are coming from the same school, the confidence is there already from the administration). Not to mention Ryerson knows its not competing with Ivey, Rotman and Queens MBAs.
Sure, but my point is that on paper, it appears to be a way to extract more money from their students. What additional value does the ryerson mba bring to a freshie? What is the demand like for a low tier MBA these days, nevermind one from ivey/rotman/queens? Furthermore, what is the demand for ANY MBA with trivial work experience. I wasn't implying that higher education institutions were altruistic, but normally, they're supposed to offer something of value in return for money.

Imagine a cohort half full with fresh grads, believing that they would network their way into a better job, only to find that all their networking peers have only a year of experience making coffee or handling faxes lol.

It would be interesting to see what the ryerson admission figures were like the past few years.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
2618 posts
639 upvotes
GTA
This makes no sense to me, if they are going into an MBA straight from undergrad then it should be a CoOP MBA like Mcmaster and Laurier. If I remember correctly though Ryerson doesn't have that many Co-op students so this might not impact things as much.