Automotive

Truck Encounter - Reverse Blinding Lights?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2016 8:14 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 21, 2010
863 posts
412 upvotes
Canada

Truck Encounter - Reverse Blinding Lights?

I was driving home late last night on the QEW Eastbound and this incident occurred just slightly before Trafalgar exit. The 18-some wheeler was in the middle lane, I was in the left lane passing. As I was making progress in passing him, at the front of his actual truck (not on the trailer), he flashed a very bright light for a few seconds that was on the side of his truck. I was a bit disoriented by it and as I finished my pass, I noticed the lights were specifically facing backwards.

Is there any reason why this dickbag decided to temporary blind me and is this a new thing? I've never had it happen before.

I'm going to be extracting my dashcam footage and see if I can't get the license number or some other contact number of the company he might have worked for.
10 replies
Nov 1, 2012
292 posts
252 upvotes
Markham
Could've just been a broken tail light on the tractor portion, and when they tapped on the brakes you got blasted with white light instead of red.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
3889 posts
1258 upvotes
Ontario
likebutta wrote: I was driving home late last night on the QEW Eastbound and this incident occurred just slightly before Trafalgar exit. The 18-some wheeler was in the middle lane, I was in the left lane passing. As I was making progress in passing him, at the front of his actual truck (not on the trailer), he flashed a very bright light for a few seconds that was on the side of his truck. I was a bit disoriented by it and as I finished my pass, I noticed the lights were specifically facing backwards.

Is there any reason why this dickbag decided to temporary blind me and is this a new thing? I've never had it happen before.

I'm going to be extracting my dashcam footage and see if I can't get the license number or some other contact number of the company he might have worked for.
If he turned them on while you were passing it was because you were being a douchebag driver. I drive trucks.

p.s. make sure you post video a few minutes before the truck so we can see how you were driving that led up to this....
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2042 posts
857 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I find most truckers are better than car drivers so you probbaly did something.

Also, could just be an accident because if he really wanted to annoy you then he would have flashed his highbeams once you passed him.

Post video yes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
963 upvotes
Yes trucks have them.

For backup lights lol when reversing to light up when they are parking.

They can flash them at you when you are driving behind/beside them if you have your high beams on ie.

Its like a round thing on the lower cab facing backward.
Originally Posted by uruha:
I saw a customer returning a book at Costco + telling the employee that the book was good.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18559 posts
2927 upvotes
Langley
Yes, they're lights on the cab pointing down the side of the trailer. They're meant for parking and they're manually activated. You probably did something to piss him off.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2010
863 posts
412 upvotes
Canada
Well, I went to extract the video footage from my front and back Lukas HD dashcams. The front stopped record videos since October 2015 and the back has record some videos randomly since October 2015 but they are all corrupted. So I won't be able to find out who the trucker worked for nor get a better view at the light used. So I have no evidence to do anything with. On the bright side, the incident has let me know of the camera issues as a result.

I would act all shocked that some people are posting here trying to automatically shift the blame for me and how it is my fault but it's a bit expected for some of the crowd here at RFD. Bottom line, regardless what some of you choose to believe or not, I was not tailgating the truck driver and I was in the left lane long before one could even hypothetically be up his ass in the middle lane. My headlights were not in high beam mode; I checked shortly after the incident occurred to see if that is why he may have done it. Maybe he was angry that I was going faster than he was in the left lane? That's the only possible scenario, other than doing it by accident.

Thanks to everyone who explained what the lights were possibly for.

For everyone who pointed fingers and made assumptions, bite me. :lol:
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13999 posts
8101 upvotes
Toronto
spotlight to help reversing or hitching the trailer?

I have had this happen to me before.
Jan 30, 2013
522 posts
89 upvotes
Vancouver
He might of been warning you of a possible road obstruction ahead maybe?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4340 posts
3627 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Not a new thing. Many big trucks have them for reversing/navigating in tight areas in the dark when dropping off or picking up loads after hours in poorly lit or unlit lots/warehouses/depots/etc.

Many truckers also use them to signal to vehicles around them - usually as a heads up that you're too close, you're in their blind spot, or you're beside them taking too long to pass. It's possible the trucker flashed them at you accidentally, but that's not likely since he'd have to actually operate the switch. Therefore, it's overwhelmingly likely that he did it on purpose. Doubtful he did on purpose randomly. Most likely that he did it because of either a real or a perceived issue on your part.