Truck Lowest Payment search

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2021 7:44 pm
Jul 22, 2020
684 posts
108 upvotes

Truck Lowest Payment search

Hi,

A friend is considering getting a truck with a full cab or the largest 4 door cab (crew cab I'm guessing is biggest - am I right? ) , and the largest truck bed size possible.

They'd like power windows and power seats, heated would be nice too. They heard diesel is best for lots of driving and the power especially for towing a trailer or heavy loads etc... But they're flexible on the kind engine, and 4x4 would be nice too as long as it can be turned off and on when needed...
Theyre not sure what the difference is between 1/2 ton n 3/4 ton or numbers like 1500,2500,3500 etc on trucks?

They want the lowest possible bi-weekly or monthly payment, whether it's a lease or a finance (I'm guessing a finance is less worry cause if the truck gets damaged here and there, they throw stuff in and out and have to use it as a truck should be used VS. Just have a truck for the occasional haul).

They're located in the Toronto GTA and don't mind getting it here and if the deals are sweeter out west/east or another province, they'd be happy to go and get the deal there (if that's even possible to lease or finance out of province).
They're just looking for the best possible lowest monthly payment on this kind of truck.

Sorry for all the questions, as they and I don't know much about trucks really... I just thought I'd ask the good folks here what experience and information they might have especially those who have been thru the process or seen other's go thru it.

Thanks in advance everyone!
22 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
2045 posts
918 upvotes
Elgin, ON
A crew cab truck with an 8ft bed is over 21ft long, and typically only available in 3/4 ton (250, 2500) HD trucks. What will the truck be used for?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
rkjredflag wrote: A crew cab truck with an 8ft bed is over 21ft long, and typically only available in 3/4 ton (250, 2500) HD trucks. What will the truck be used for?
Grocery shopping 🤣
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1174 posts
1556 upvotes
Calgary
The bigger the better for one person commutes
Jul 22, 2020
684 posts
108 upvotes
rkjredflag wrote:
A crew cab truck with an 8ft bed is over 21ft long, and typically only available in 3/4 ton (250, 2500) HD trucks. What will the truck be used for?
They probably will drive a lot and haul things with and without a trailer, off-road trips, trips around the city, probably have 4-6 Ppl with them or at least have the ability to have that many people in the truck comfortably. Someone also suggested getting an SUV, but would that have less space overall VS a full bed truck with full crew cab?

They did say they want a vehicle that could do as much as possible filling multiple needs...
Jul 22, 2020
684 posts
108 upvotes
rkjredflag wrote: A crew cab truck with an 8ft bed is over 21ft long, and typically only available in 3/4 ton (250, 2500) HD trucks. What will the truck be used for?
Also how comfortable is a Truck VS cars? They and neither have I ridden in one in a long time, and I remember some vehicles are so rigid u feel the road, and when they'll go off road I'm sure that's super bumpy...
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11164 upvotes
GreenLean wrote: Also how comfortable is a Truck VS cars? They and neither have I ridden in one in a long time, and I remember some vehicles are so rigid u feel the road, and when they'll go off road I'm sure that's super bumpy...
A truck's ride is far superior to a car's ride. Nothing I hate more than having to cram myself DOWN into a seat, then trying to drive while sitting 6" off the road.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
This is in Calgary, but I'm 100% sure dealers in GTA will match this. 249 bi-weekly, nothing down 48 month lease. Crew Cab new F150. They missed out on a deal earlier in the year where this price was for a Lariat model (higher trim), but I doubt that's coming back.

https://www.woodridgeford.com/print-deals/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
GreenLean wrote: .. probably have 4-6 Ppl with them or at least have the ability to have that many people in the truck comfortably...
If they need to haul 6 ppl, 2 front bucket + rear bench only seats 5. Better to get a minivan with a good hitch towing capacity.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11547 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
Knows nothing about trucks plans to haul a trailer that may or may not require diesel. Wants lowest payment. Bigger is better

Mmmhmmm looks like another quality driver about to hit our roads.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
4373 posts
2499 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Sounds like the OPs friend wants a general vehicle that can occasionally do some truck stuff?

Super/quad cabs give you the option of a longer bed for the same size vehicle (super cab with 6’6 bed is equal to a crew cab with a 5’6 bed). They’re great if you are only rarely carrying more than two people in the back, but if you’re regularly carrying more than that then a crew cab may be the better option (although you could get away with Quad cab with proper doors, probably not Fords Supercab with suicide doors). You can get crew cabs with 6’6 beds too, but if you’re looking for an 8’ bed then you’ll need to start looking at 3/4 ton and above trucks (but realistically how often will they need an 8’ bed?).

Generally, consider diesel only if you’re driving a LOT. The up front and maintenance cost generally only make sense if you’re doing a lot of highway driving or towing (say 40-50k+ a year). Otherwise stick with a gas/hybrid engine. Unless you really need the towing/payload capacity look for something like the 2.7L Ecoboost in the F150, which is about the most economical gas engine in a truck, and one of the cheapest in Fords engine lineup.

And again, unless you’re planning on towing heavy (10,000lb+), or need a lot of payload (say you’re moving rocks around a lot) then you don’t really need to consider a anything but the “half ton” (150/1500) trucks. 2500/3500 trucks are generally for those that have a specific need (I.e 15,000lb 5th wheel, or regularly loading several thousand lb into the bed).

Most cheaper trucks will have a front bench seat unless you pay to upgrade (e.g Fords Sport package) so they will fit 6 legally if required, but again, probably only really sensible for occasional use.

Realistically, if they’re thinking about an SUV then a standard crew cab with 5’6 bed, gas engine and possibly some sort of tow package is likely all they need. The positive is that they are the most popular trucks, so the best for deals.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11164 upvotes
Just to reiterate what Andy34 is saying, they do NOT, I repeat DO NOT need anything bigger than a 1/2 ton, unless they very specifically need to do something a 1/2 ton won't be able too, and by the OP. They do not.

So you are looking at GMC for the most reliable, but lowest interior quality. Ford for the Eco Boost engines and likely the best tech right now, as they just released a refreshed 2021 model. RAM for the best looking inside and outside, but not likely as reliable as the GMC.

I also think that anyone who knows my history on RFD, knows I am not a fan of the import trucks, so i won't both getting to into that, just say, I don't like them.
Jul 22, 2020
684 posts
108 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: If they need to haul 6 ppl, 2 front bucket + rear bench only seats 5. Better to get a minivan with a good hitch towing capacity.
Even with a crew cab? I thought the front has 3 seats even though they're bucket seats, isn't there a fold down seat that makes it like one large seat all the way across?
Jul 22, 2020
684 posts
108 upvotes
Andy34 wrote: Sounds like the OPs friend wants a general vehicle that can occasionally do some truck stuff?

Super/quad cabs give you the option of a longer bed for the same size vehicle (super cab with 6’6 bed is equal to a crew cab with a 5’6 bed). They’re great if you are only rarely carrying more than two people in the back, but if you’re regularly carrying more than that then a crew cab may be the better option (although you could get away with Quad cab with proper doors, probably not Fords Supercab with suicide doors). You can get crew cabs with 6’6 beds too, but if you’re looking for an 8’ bed then you’ll need to start looking at 3/4 ton and above trucks (but realistically how often will they need an 8’ bed?).

Generally, consider diesel only if you’re driving a LOT. The up front and maintenance cost generally only make sense if you’re doing a lot of highway driving or towing (say 40-50k+ a year). Otherwise stick with a gas/hybrid engine. Unless you really need the towing/payload capacity look for something like the 2.7L Ecoboost in the F150, which is about the most economical gas engine in a truck, and one of the cheapest in Fords engine lineup.

And again, unless you’re planning on towing heavy (10,000lb+), or need a lot of payload (say you’re moving rocks around a lot) then you don’t really need to consider a anything but the “half ton” (150/1500) trucks. 2500/3500 trucks are generally for those that have a specific need (I.e 15,000lb 5th wheel, or regularly loading several thousand lb into the bed).

Most cheaper trucks will have a front bench seat unless you pay to upgrade (e.g Fords Sport package) so they will fit 6 legally if required, but again, probably only really sensible for occasional use.

Realistically, if they’re thinking about an SUV then a standard crew cab with 5’6 bed, gas engine and possibly some sort of tow package is likely all they need. The positive is that they are the most popular trucks, so the best for deals.
Do trucks come in hybrid? Or is that a new thing for the 2022 models and future trucks?

Also do they lease/finance 1-3 year older trucks? Or are they only doing this for newer current year model trucks, like 2021 right now? Is it even worth it to get the 1-3 year older trucks or even a SUV since I'm guessing they're older and prob with some kilometers already on them so they're more of a discount price (overall lower monthly payment since total cost would be less generally speaking)? Would these monthly payments be $100 or less if you get an older model truck or SUV compared to getting the current model 0 kilometer brand new truck or SUV?

Sorry for all the questions...

Tia!
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
$100/month?

On a new truck you're looking at closer to $1000/month if you want to finance for 5 years or so, used would be somewhat less, but 1-3 year old trucks are very expensive these days as supply is challenged at the moment.

Was $100/month a typo? Even if you finance for 7 years at 0% that's only $8,400... New trucks are $50,000 and above for crew cab 1/2 tons.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
4373 posts
2499 upvotes
Calgary, AB
There are a few hybrids, like the Powerboost from Ford and the eTorque from Ram, but if you’re really on a budget you’ll probably not be in the market for them.

No idea on leasing.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11547 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
GreenLean wrote: Do trucks come in hybrid? Or is that a new thing for the 2022 models and future trucks?

Also do they lease/finance 1-3 year older trucks? Or are they only doing this for newer current year model trucks, like 2021 right now? Is it even worth it to get the 1-3 year older trucks or even a SUV since I'm guessing they're older and prob with some kilometers already on them so they're more of a discount price (overall lower monthly payment since total cost would be less generally speaking)? Would these monthly payments be $100 or less if you get an older model truck or SUV compared to getting the current model 0 kilometer brand new truck or SUV?

Sorry for all the questions...

Tia!
Yes people will lease you almost any type of vehicle but there will likely be a higher interest rate.

As for your $100 a month budget. Do you own a lemonade stand? It might be time to mow more lawns this summer and if you clean up your room nice and tidey. I’ll send you $20 via paypal

Don’t forget to leave your homework out for inspection before beddy bye bye time.

Congrats on your friend getting his g2
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Nissan makes a 7-3/4' bed in a halfton, but they have no front bench option, meaning max of 5 people.

The other brands go up to 6-1/2' beds in halfons, the domestics have front bench options, so they can seat 6, in the lower trims.

Generally speaking, a halfton truck is denoted by a 150/1500 model number, and will be in the 2a class, 6001 to 8500lbs GVWR. A 3/4 ton truck will be labeled as a 250/2500, will be 2b weight class 8501-10000lbs. A 1-ton truck will be labeled as 350/3500, class 3, 10001-14000lbs. But there are exceptions, for example, a Ford F450 pickup is actually class 3, the real F450 cab+chassis is class 4.

If you want a $100/month payment, you're looking at 20 year old trucks.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Your friend should just go visit some dealerships, figure out what options they want and get some numbers. Compare the big 3 brands and go from there. RAM and Ford are typically the cheapest.