Food & Drink

True cost of a $7 restaurant taco

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2019 1:43 pm
Jan 9, 2019
7 posts
Okay, without a doubt, if these poor people are only making $1 a taco then I feel sorry for them and the restaurant business is super tough. Even if they make up for it a bit in drinks and stuff that is still really rough.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4325 posts
1788 upvotes
Mississauga
Drinks - especially alcoholic - is where the money is made in the restaurant business.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41073 posts
4857 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:10 am
MMMMM Tacofino. Totally worth $7 for a taco from them!

My problem is with places that don't pay their staff as well (Seriously, Mat leave top up at a restaurant?!?! Wow!) but still charge this much or more.

Tacofino is probably sitting on a street full of other other restaurants that charge about the same and have a revolving door for staff that get the bare minimum.
The restaurant owners too seem to be “minimum wage” when you consider the risk and investment they put in. How much does it cost to open a restaurant in toronto for example?
$10,000 per month rent?
Insurance?
Staff?
The few hundred thousand you gotta drop to get the place running?
I doubt their take home pay is huge. And even if it is huge... they’re working 7 days a week 15 hours a day.
Aug 6, 2018
230 posts
231 upvotes
Kind of skeptical of the 2.10 for labor since it probably took 15 seconds for the cook to prep that taco but 2.10 dollars would mean they spent 10 minutes making one taco? yeah right. A cook can probably prep 50 tacos in 10 minutes. Even if you were to include the cost of med/dental insurance it still seems way off (btw what restaurant provides benefits LOL)
Aug 6, 2018
230 posts
231 upvotes
2.00 for a taco (flour) with veggies and a tablespoon of pork is also highly suspicious i'd say it's closer to 1.00 than 2.00; it was a nice touch making the ingredients list look as lengthy as they could though.
Anytime you see a successful business owner whine about labour costs you just gotta raise an eyebrow.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2230 posts
950 upvotes
B.C.
oroku1983 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:30 pm
Kind of skeptical of the 2.10 for labor since it probably took 15 seconds for the cook to prep that taco but 2.10 dollars would mean they spent 10 minutes making one taco? yeah right. A cook can probably prep 50 tacos in 10 minutes. Even if you were to include the cost of med/dental insurance it still seems way off (btw what restaurant provides benefits LOL)
Restaurants in the city with the highest COL in the country provide benefits. Otherwise they'll be training a new staff every second day.
Aug 6, 2018
230 posts
231 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:00 pm
Restaurants in the city with the highest COL in the country provide benefits. Otherwise they'll be training a new staff every second day.
Not sure how a high cost of living means a restaurant is more likely to provide health benefits can you explain maybe i'm missing something since I live in a cheap city.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4325 posts
1788 upvotes
Mississauga
Providing health benefits = reduced staff turnover. It cost a lot to find, hire and train a new employee.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5168 posts
2144 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:10 pm
The restaurant owners too seem to be “minimum wage” when you consider the risk and investment they put in. How much does it cost to open a restaurant in toronto for example?
$10,000 per month rent?
Insurance?
Staff?
The few hundred thousand you gotta drop to get the place running?
I doubt their take home pay is huge. And even if it is huge... they’re working 7 days a week 15 hours a day.

Plus the $200k+ renovations that are done every few years to keep themselves from looking too run down compared to their competition. The restaurant business destroys a lot of families that go into this field.
Aug 6, 2018
230 posts
231 upvotes
if you're spending 200k for renos every few years you deserve to be run out of business. Nobody would argue that the restaurant business is a tough sector to break into (maybe even stupid) but a lot of these restaurants go bankrupt due to poor management, mediocre product, or rent not because of cost of labor. Wake up, this is yet another ploy to blame the worlds problems on people making minimum wage who can't even live a comfortable life due to an insanely high cost of living.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2230 posts
950 upvotes
B.C.
oroku1983 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:12 pm
Not sure how a high cost of living means a restaurant is more likely to provide health benefits can you explain maybe i'm missing something since I live in a cheap city.
Employers need to step up to retain staff. People aren't hanging around for minimum wage anymore when rent on a 1 bedroom apartment is $2000 a month in Vancouver.

Benefits and increased pay are part of it. A Tacofino employee with full health benefits and parental leave top up isn't going to jump ship to the restaurant across the street for an extra $0.50 an hour - but an employee without those benefits will.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4893 posts
811 upvotes
oroku1983 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:30 pm
A cook can probably prep 50 tacos in 10 minutes. Even if you were to include the cost of med/dental insurance it still seems way off (btw what restaurant provides benefits LOL)
Cook cannot prep 50 tacos in 10 minutes, are you kidding me? I have several friends who own several successful restaurants in Toronto, I've been in their kitchen. You're gonna assume in a 8 hr shift, a cook can prep 2400 tacos? Or in a 4 hr shift, 1200 tacos? The restaurant in question isn't taco bell, & even at taco bell, which makes everything super fast because their tacos are simple stuff, no one will ever prep 50 tacos in 10 minutes. The restaurant in question also actually does provide benefits, he's a well known chef. He can't get away with saying such a statement publicly without getting called out on it
I am a Koodo customer
Aug 6, 2018
230 posts
231 upvotes
HP_John wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:10 pm
Cook cannot prep 50 tacos in 10 minutes, are you kidding me? I have several friends who own several successful restaurants in Toronto, I've been in their kitchen. You're gonna assume in a 8 hr shift, a cook can prep 2400 tacos? Or in a 4 hr shift, 1200 tacos? The restaurant in question isn't taco bell, & even at taco bell, which makes everything super fast because their tacos are simple stuff, no one will ever prep 50 tacos in 10 minutes. The restaurant in question also actually does provide benefits, he's a well known chef. He can't get away with saying such a statement publicly without getting called out on it
if everything has been prepped (i doubt they start from scratch every order) it would be incredibly easy to get around that number especially if you're experienced and in the groove. Know how I know this? I've made a taco before just like everyone else and with my extremely rare knowledge I can tell you it takes about 20 seconds to make one at a fairly leisurely pace.
Aug 6, 2018
230 posts
231 upvotes

look at these machines doing the impossible according to HP_JOHN prepping tacos at a speed of about 1 per 5 seconds.

according to the original post these guys would be making 25 dollars a minute since it costs about 2 bucks worth of labor per taco no wonder these poor mexican restaurant owners are hurting so bad LOL.
Aug 6, 2018
230 posts
231 upvotes
anyone else thinking of getting into the taco business after this? if im making 2 bucks a taco I might actually be able to retire at some point would definitely suck to be an owner though i'd almost feel bad for robbing him blind.