Food & Drink

True cost of a $7 restaurant taco

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2019 1:43 pm
Feb 22, 2017
15 posts
4 upvotes
I don’t post very often but I must say to all you ppl bitchin about the cost and sale price of the tack have never worked in a restaurant before or don’t understand the restaurant business very well. Stay in your lane.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10790 posts
975 upvotes
oroku1983 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:30 pm
Kind of skeptical of the 2.10 for labor since it probably took 15 seconds for the cook to prep that taco but 2.10 dollars would mean they spent 10 minutes making one taco? yeah right. A cook can probably prep 50 tacos in 10 minutes. Even if you were to include the cost of med/dental insurance it still seems way off (btw what restaurant provides benefits LOL)
It's possible the labour includes all the labour up to that point. Prepping meat, marinades, sauces, braising, cleaning, etc. It' a lot of work.

Or if it's just service, it is labour for the cook, the server, the prep cooks, the sous chefs and chefs, the dishwasher, manager, etc. There are so many people involved in putting food on your plate that people never think about.

What restaurant provides benefits? This one. It's rare but changing. Much needed change imo.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6809 posts
2060 upvotes
Markham
MistahChin wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:59 am
I don’t post very often but I must say to all you ppl bitchin about the cost and sale price of the tack have never worked in a restaurant before or don’t understand the restaurant business very well. Stay in your lane.
It would be obvious that most people in here have never worked on a restaurant before but it's perception that stuff is not priced correctly in their opinion and that's what matters.

Having said that some people who run restaurants also don't understand how to run a business which a restaurant is.

There are many ways to run a business and charging exorbitant prices for simple food is probably not as successful as selling simple for food for a fair or reasonable price. Some of the longest running businesses sell simple food for relatively cheap prices. How do they do it when some of these restaurants?

A $7 taco is not priced correctly imo.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2126 posts
851 upvotes
B.C.
slowtyper wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 11:22 am
It's possible the labour includes all the labour up to that point. Prepping meat, marinades, sauces, braising, cleaning, etc. It' a lot of work.

Or if it's just service, it is labour for the cook, the server, the prep cooks, the sous chefs and chefs, the dishwasher, manager, etc. There are so many people involved in putting food on your plate that people never think about.

What restaurant provides benefits? This one. It's rare but changing. Much needed change imo.
It's counter service only.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40532 posts
4313 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 11:43 am
It would be obvious that most people in here have never worked on a restaurant before but it's perception that stuff is not priced correctly in their opinion and that's what matters.

Having said that some people who run restaurants also don't understand how to run a business which a restaurant is.

There are many ways to run a business and charging exorbitant prices for simple food is probably not as successful as selling simple for food for a fair or reasonable price. Some of the longest running businesses sell simple food for relatively cheap prices. How do they do it when some of these restaurants?

A $7 taco is not priced correctly imo.
I think $7 is reasonable for hipster taco’s. They use nicer ingredients and prep. Typically more renovated places and higher rent areas.
I do agree about the simple foods.
Like my local take out square boys. Its been there for a million years. They still have an old pacman machine they keep for kicks. Its the same pacman from when my mom & dad would take me for burgers and ice cream as a little boy... lolz
Its all simple greek and fast food. Burger fries, slouvaki and gyro.
They have a lineup every lunch and dinner.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4578 posts
628 upvotes
oroku1983 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:33 pm

look at these machines doing the impossible according to HP_JOHN prepping tacos at a speed of about 1 per 5 seconds.

according to the original post these guys would be making 25 dollars a minute since it costs about 2 bucks worth of labor per taco no wonder these poor mexican restaurant owners are hurting so bad LOL.
Dude do you think anyone can keep that pace for a 8 hr shift? Seriously, I hope you open a restaurant & see for yourself, it's an incredibly difficult business to be in. There are millions of people who think they know exactly what needs to be done, so they go open a restaurant, only to close after a few yrs. Happens all the time.
I am a Koodo customer
Aug 6, 2018
209 posts
166 upvotes
slowtyper wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 11:22 am

It's a hole in the wall taco place not a 5 star michelin restaurant i doubt they have more than 2-3 employees working a shift. You're also overestimating the prep time with these tacos, the only seriously time consuming step is the marinating which we all know requires time but no labor once it's in the fridge sitting there.

Even if the cooks were all making 50 dollars an hour the math simply doesn't add up to 2.00 a taco. You could make the argument that their restaurant is dead which would explain the high price since they wouldn't be moving a lot of units per hour, but that has nothing to do with labor wages.
Aug 6, 2018
209 posts
166 upvotes
MistahChin wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:59 am
oh the guy who says everyone else doesn't know what they're talking about but provides no counter argument other than "stay in your lane" you really schooled us, boy is my face red.
Feb 22, 2017
15 posts
4 upvotes
A 30% food cost is pretty much the formula restaurants use when costing/pricing out menus. The margins in restaurants are very slim. Rent, utilities, utensils (from tongs to pans to food conatiners....), consumables (the packaging, the napkins, hot sauce packs...), labour includes everyone you see, from hostess to dishwasher.
Sure you can make 100 tacos in 10 minutes, but are you selling 100 tacos in 10 minutes? Unless that’s the only thing you sell you probably have other things to make.
Once again this is just the standard formula for how restaurants cost out their menus.
Feb 22, 2017
15 posts
4 upvotes
I forgot include equipment either like stoves,ovens, tables, chairs.....
Aug 6, 2018
209 posts
166 upvotes
MistahChin wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:05 pm
I forgot include equipment either like stoves,ovens, tables, chairs.....
labor costs are being disputed here and labor has nothing to do with what you just listed.

but you're right they're not selling 100 tacos in 10 minutes but I could name a lot of taco stands that are probably close to that during a lunch rush and i could bet they aren't charging an arm and a leg for a single taco.

p.s could we also talk about the myth that these tacos somehow cost 2.00 a piece? that's also a complete fabrication no disrespect but this is mexican peasant food we're talking about.
Last edited by oroku1983 on Jan 13th, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 22, 2017
15 posts
4 upvotes
Let me get something straight. I’m not defending the taco price. I’m just letting you guys. Now what goes into costing a menu item
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16408 posts
4125 upvotes
Toronto
I am curious how much profit they make off drinks and alcohol.