Automotive

Is it true that none of the Toyota models will have any discounts?

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2022 7:23 pm
Banned
Oct 28, 2015
2166 posts
1229 upvotes
Vaughan, ON

Is it true that none of the Toyota models will have any discounts?

asked 3 dealers about sequoia limited and highlander XLE, none of them willing to offer 1 cent off the MSRP, is it the reality?!

Vehicles would take 6 months to arrive as well......

Didn't originally plan to buy a new vehicle during this time, but a recent kijijiauto search showed that my current MY15 Kia Sorento can fetch a very high used price...... in the end I wouldn't pay a lot to switch to new Toyota.
197 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1962 posts
2910 upvotes
Toronto
Well if 3 in a row told you that, then that is the case. Some Toyotas will have small discount but those are ones where they have multiple vehicles on the lot right now (eg Corolla)

You will not be getting discounts on units that have a 6 month waiting time
Banned
Oct 28, 2015
2166 posts
1229 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
ichibansan wrote: Well if 3 in a row told you that, then that is the case. Some Toyotas will have small discount but those are ones where they have multiple vehicles on the lot right now (eg Corolla)

You will not be getting discounts on units that have a 6 month waiting time
ok, thanks!

Do you think it's a good time to upgrade a vehicle judging by that my old used Sorento can fetch a pretty decent price on used market? Having two vehicles now and both of them are running perfectly, wasn't planning to buy new at all until my nephew told me how crazy the used car market is......
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
There are a few hundred dealers across Canada, you should try at least 50 dealers to get a real answer. 3 dealers is a real small sample.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
Nothing is free. Sell low buy low. Sell high buy high. It’s not a winning game. I just passed by a VW car dealer with a huge visible parking lot. Usually there are hundreds of cars, some used and some new. I only counted 10 cars on the lot and even the cars there might be driven by the staff. It means everyone is out of cars to sell. Why even bother playing this same?
Banned
Oct 28, 2015
2166 posts
1229 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
spike1128 wrote: Nothing is free. Sell low buy low. Sell high buy high. It’s not a winning game. I just passed by a VW car dealer with a huge visible parking lot. Usually there are hundreds of cars, some used and some new. I only counted 10 cars on the lot and even the cars there might be driven by the staff. It means everyone is out of cars to sell. Why even bother playing this same?
Because I always wanted the Toyota highlander and only purchased the KIA because it ran a huge discount back in 2015, now I see the opportunity afforded me to switch and thus think it might be a good opportunity...
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
xuanzh wrote: MY15 Kia Sorento can fetch a very high used price...... in the end I wouldn't pay a lot to switch to new Toyota.
So you don't have to pay "alot" to get in to a brand new fully loaded Sequoia or Highlander after selling your 15 Kia Sorento. Huh really?
Oct 19, 2008
454 posts
692 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The market factors raising the resale value of your old car are the same ones meaning new cars are 6 months out and have almost no discount.
Banned
Oct 28, 2015
2166 posts
1229 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
kev604 wrote: So you don't have to pay "alot" to get in to a brand new fully loaded Sequoia or Highlander after selling your 15 Kia Sorento. Huh really?
Yeah.... basically the markup increase on my used KIA is well over $2000, which was the normal discount from Toyota on Highlanders pre-COVID level, since COVID, you pay MSRP, but at the same times my KIA resale value increased much more than $2000, thus I am actually switching vehicle at discount....

I call this "Smith Maneuver" for automobile! :)
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
xuanzh wrote: Yeah.... basically the markup increase on my used KIA is well over $2000, which was the normal discount from Toyota on Highlanders pre-COVID level, since COVID, you pay MSRP, but at the same times my KIA resale value increased much more than $2000, thus I am actually switching vehicle at discount....

I call this "Smith Maneuver" for automobile! :)
So what your saying is your car is worth more than before yet the MSRP for Sequoia and Highlander haven't changed.

If your looking for a V8 Sequoia what you save now you'll more than throw away in gas in a couple years anyways.
Banned
Oct 28, 2015
2166 posts
1229 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
kev604 wrote: So what your saying is your car is worth more than before yet the MSRP for Sequoia and Highlander haven't changed.

If your looking for a V8 Sequoia what you save now you'll more than throw away in gas in a couple years anyways.
I think I will go with the highlander, the decision is still yet to be made simply my current KIA runs perfectly.... under normal circumstance there is no need to upgrade a vehicle though...

Toyota Highlander XLE is what I am aiming
Aug 5, 2007
551 posts
498 upvotes
just wait until dealers are asking above msrp as market adjustment prices.
Banned
Oct 28, 2015
2166 posts
1229 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
fromage wrote: just wait until dealers are asking above msrp as market adjustment prices.
Are they allowed?!?!
Aug 5, 2007
551 posts
498 upvotes
xuanzh wrote: Are they allowed?!?!
of course they'll try. they'll just refuse to sell to you for msrp, as someone else will buy it with the market adjustment line.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13102 upvotes
xuanzh wrote: Are they allowed?!?!
There are ways to pad it. At this point, there is just no reason not to do it due to low sales volume.

Look, there's a shortage of cars, everyone is doing the same math as you because of record resale value. So either you play along or ask more dealers until you get your answer/price.

This shortage should ease by March but expect resale to drop along with it. Resale is high right now because dealerships have nothing to sell and are desperate for inventory. Once they starts to have new inventory, they won't rely on used stock as much.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1820 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto
When the price of new cars drop, your used car's value will drop as well. Good luck timing it otherwise.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9927 posts
7090 upvotes
Mississauga
Never thought I’d see “Kia” and “runs perfectly” in the same sentence before.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2633 upvotes
GTA West
xuanzh wrote: I think I will go with the highlander, the decision is still yet to be made simply my current KIA runs perfectly.... under normal circumstance there is no need to upgrade a vehicle though...

Toyota Highlander XLE is what I am aiming
I think your strategy is sound. Take advantage of the inflated value of your Kia if you have already decided on the Highlander as your next car.
Mar 20, 2017
759 posts
1856 upvotes
fromage wrote: of course they'll try. they'll just refuse to sell to you for msrp, as someone else will buy it with the market adjustment line.
Selling for above MSRP or adding a market adjustment is illegal in Canada. To get around this law, dealers add in what they call “mandatory” extras like VIN etching, or they install pre bundled accessories like aftermarket starters, 22” wheels…etc, all at inflated prices.

Sometimes they even drive the car a few hundred kms as a demo and then sell the used car at above new pricing.

So unlike the US, you never see the words “market adjustment” anywhere on the window sticker or bill of sale

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)