Off Topic

Trump's attack on Canadian privacy: Privacy safeguards relied upon by Canadians have just been stripped away

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2017 8:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8536 upvotes
GTHA

Trump's attack on Canadian privacy: Privacy safeguards relied upon by Canadians have just been stripped away

Got this email from OpenMedia.org
Trump just signed an executive order eliminating Privacy Act protections for foreigners.[1] This means as of right now, all your personal, sensitive information has no legal protections in the U.S.

Every day, the data of millions of Canadians enters the U.S. by Internet traffic being routed through the U.S., or by our own government routinely sharing personal information.

You don’t need to have done anything wrong for your most personal information to be revealed, and you will likely never know what has been shared.

There is only one way to solve this. We’re filing an urgent privacy complaint with the federal Privacy Commissioner of Canada asking for an immediate review on the effect of Trump’s order for Canadians — and to demand a reassessment of what information our government chooses to share with the U.S.

This new order has real life implications. Everything from your financial status, to your medical history, your sexual orientation, and even your religious and political beliefs are exposed.[2] Canadians have had their personal or professional lives ruined due to information disclosures, despite never having broken the law.[3]

Some have faced career limitations, while others have had to deal with travel restrictions. When health records are wrongfully shared with U.S. border agents, even an encounter with the mental health system 20 years ago can be grounds to deny entry.

Our government needs to step up and answer our questions. How will Canadians be protected from discrimination and warrantless spying? With your help, we’re going to get those answers, and demand action

There is no doubt that inappropriate information sharing can have a devastating impact on the lives of individual Canadians. Without strict safeguards in place, government bureaucrats will simply act recklessly and make life-impacting mistakes.

Now that President Trump has taken this extraordinary step to make it clear to U.S. agencies that they don't need to respect the privacy of non-citizens, we need immediate action from our own government.
[1] Executive Order: Enhancing Public Safety in the Interior of the United States
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... ior-united

[2] Trump’s Executive Order Eliminates Privacy Act Protections for Foreigners:
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2017/01/trum ... oreigners/

[3] 420,000 in police database never convicted: Analysis:
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... lysis.html
Last edited by tk1000 on Jan 28th, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7999 posts
1548 upvotes
Im lucky enough to not have to go there or fly through there, and even if i would, Im too vanilla for anyone to care, but I avoid the States like the plague. They're becoming the white version of Iran.
Mar 2, 2006
84 posts
3 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote: Im lucky enough to not have to go there or fly through there, and even if i would, Im too vanilla for anyone to care, but I avoid the States like the plague. They're becoming the white version of Iran.

You may not physically be in the states but your data will almost definitely be at some point. I've been trying to find out more information about what this means for Canadians, but with walls and Muslim bans, this issue seems to be getting lost in all the noise. Glad someone is on the case.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30553 posts
1508 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Buggy166 wrote: Im lucky enough to not have to go there or fly through there, and even if i would, Im too vanilla for anyone to care, but I avoid the States like the plague. They're becoming the white version of Iran.
No problem with Iran, but I really have issues with the US and Trump isn't helping that. As for info, make sure you provide as much BS about yourself as possible, keep them confused. I do this regularly. I'm kinda looking forward to the Russians and Chinese taking over the place.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17579 posts
1131 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
donolo wrote: You may not physically be in the states but your data will almost definitely be at some point. I've been trying to find out more information about what this means for Canadians, but with walls and Muslim bans, this issue seems to be getting lost in all the noise. Glad someone is on the case.
RFD's servers are in the 'States. Obviously, so is Google, Facebook, Hotmail, Apple, Twitter etc. So non-American users of those services should not expect any data protection/privacy
Last edited by konfusion666 on Jan 28th, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21952 posts
2565 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote: RFD's servers are in the 'States. Obviously, so is Google, Facebook, Hotmail, Apple, Twitter etc. So non-American users of those servers should not expect any data protection/privacy
+1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7999 posts
1548 upvotes
donolo wrote: You may not physically be in the states but your data will almost definitely be at some point. I've been trying to find out more information about what this means for Canadians, but with walls and Muslim bans, this issue seems to be getting lost in all the noise. Glad someone is on the case.
Although i understand the privacy of data angle, I've long accepted that my info is "shared" with the services i use and the countries they are from. Nothing new. I dont exactly have any world changing aspirations and i work internationally. There's probably 50 countries that have some sort of biometric data on me already, facebook has a lot of my pictures and so forth.

The only people taken by surprise by Trump, or shocked in any way, should be the guys who were stopped today, specifically the ones with legal visas or PR status. Other than that, none of this is news, especially data sharing of private Canadian information to the US services, border security, homeland or otherwise.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6539 posts
1121 upvotes
Scarborough
Canadians are always eager and happy to reveal their privacy to the Americans.
Nothing new. Didn't Harper sign those agreements during his tenure?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9961 posts
662 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote: Although i understand the privacy of data angle, I've long accepted that my info is "shared" with the services i use and the countries they are from. Nothing new. I dont exactly have any world changing aspirations and i work internationally. There's probably 50 countries that have some sort of biometric data on me already, facebook has a lot of my pictures and so forth.

The only people taken by surprise by Trump, or shocked in any way, should be the guys who were stopped today, specifically the ones with legal visas or PR status. Other than that, none of this is news, especially data sharing of private Canadian information to the US services, border security, homeland or otherwise.
This is beyond facebook though. Your internet habits, your phone, your laptop/tv camera, your credit card. Its open for data collection unless you took steps into protecting yourself.

Snowden revealed all this. He left awhile ago so their capabilities are likely much more advance now.

They are spying on all of us wether we like it or not. And we shouldnt just "accept" it. Our sovereignty is at risk. They could easily bully any of our lawmakers. There is really no Canada if we cannot protect our constitution.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
358 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote: This is beyond facebook though. Your internet habits, your phone, your laptop/tv camera, your credit card. Its open for data collection unless you took steps into protecting yourself.

Snowden revealed all this. He left awhile ago so their capabilities are likely much more advance now.

They are spying on all of us wether we like it or not. And we shouldnt just "accept" it. Our sovereignty is at risk. They could easily bully any of our lawmakers. There is really no Canada if we cannot protect our constitution.
Well, If it's in US it's not our sovereignty. Neither our constitution. All we can do is return the favour: any foreign data on Canada soil has no privacy.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1742 posts
856 upvotes
Moon
Incovenient truth: The USA already knows everything about you. This isn't anything new for Canadians at all. Canada is a member of the Five Eyes and we share everything with the US.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7999 posts
1548 upvotes
arm2000 wrote: Well, If it's in US it's not our sovereignty. Neither our constitution. All we can do is return the favour: any foreign data on Canada soil has no privacy.
Data doesnt have to be on your soil to be compromised, thats the fun part.

As for defending Canada's constitution, when's the last time Canada burned the White House down? Im pretty sure we're quite a way behind defending anything at this point.

Meanwhile, Russia's gearing up:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -base.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 54111.html

http://theweek.com/articles/614075/how- ... ing-arctic

http://www.businessinsider.com/russia-e ... ic-2015-12

Not that they're invading the North Pole, but Canada cant defend crap at this point in time. Our submarines are krusty rust buckets, helicopters are old and patched up, fighter jets are CF-18s that are multiple years past their death dates, and our armed forces are barely equipped properly for the 21st century.

I wont bother to post the blunders and fk ups of the intelligence services over the last 5-10 years with info leaks, lost folders of information and so forth.

The other week there was an article how the 2nd top general in command of all Canadian forces had to be removed. Not the top national guy, the 2nd under his command. For the entire country's forces.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... -post.html

That's a joke, and Canada's military force is a joke at this point in history. Governments have crapped themselves and havent invested properly into renewing military gear, and now everything is in shambles. Technically, its been in shambles for a while now.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10524 posts
1756 upvotes
Toronto
RoverOne wrote: I use self encryption on any thing that I don't want people viewing. One of the advantages of being a 2nd year programmer. :)
Self encryption?

You do realise what happens if you go to the USA and you get asked at the border to decrypt whatever it is that is encrypted... If you say no they'll just detain you and waste your time until you give in or they just wont let you in at all.

I encrypt 2 of my hard drives on my actual PC. Why? Financial data that I don't want someone to see if for some reason someone breaks into my apartment and decides to walk out with a fairly heavy full tower pc. The other one is a backup of that first drive with other stuff on it as well.
Dec 28, 2010
595 posts
261 upvotes
Applesmack wrote: Incovenient truth: The USA already knows everything about you. This isn't anything new for Canadians at all. Canada is a member of the Five Eyes and we share everything with the US.
+1

When you sign up for Facebook or Google you gave all your information away. We need a forum or the CBC to have someone tell us the truth and then we get angry and start whining about constitutional rights.
Do you want to meet the love of your life? Look in the mirror. | Byron Katie
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4959 posts
889 upvotes
Hardly surprising. There's a Word Privacy Index, and I bet $10 the US are still in the lower black section (they are colour coded) along with a bunch of 3rd world countries.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)