Computers & Electronics

Trusted computer repair shop in the GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 12:35 pm
[OP]
Jul 25, 2019
265 posts
88 upvotes

Trusted computer repair shop in the GTA?

Annoyingly the USB C Ports on my 2017 Macbook Pro are worn out (or at least I think this is the issue). Even the slightest movement will cause a disruption. Does anyone have a computer shop in the GTA they can recommend that can replace these?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16115 posts
2685 upvotes
Toronto
You have a 15" or 13"?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
768 upvotes
centre of universe
beancounter6 wrote: Annoyingly the USB C Ports on my 2017 Macbook Pro are worn out (or at least I think this is the issue). Even the slightest movement will cause a disruption. Does anyone have a computer shop in the GTA they can recommend that can replace these?
which area you are looking for? East End? Scarborough?

Ifix Computers
1174 Kennedy Rd, Scarborough, ON M1P 2L1
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2142 posts
1027 upvotes
Saint John
Send it to Louis Rossmann? You'd have to ship him the computer, but he'd charge a fair rate (no fix, no fee). From the form on his site, it appears he takes computers from Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl2mFZ ... Lax4Yisf6w
https://www.rossmanngroup.com/

Hard to say whether your local repair shop will do board-level repairs or just replace (costly) components with new ones. You might even get to see your machine get fixed live on The Internet, especially if you take it to the Apple Store and the "Genius" quotes you $1000+ or tells you to buy a new Macbook Pro.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2598 posts
649 upvotes
I severely doubt you'll be able to find a "local shop". That will do board level soldering to replace a usb port. Apple also isn't known for being repair friendly. I doubt
they have official parts for sale. As monkey says, their usual solution is for you to buy a new one or replace the entire motherboard.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2032 posts
383 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Just take a look around on Kijiji. I know it seems sketch but a few years ago, I had a White macbook that I drop water on, full liquid damage.

Found someone on Kijiji (He has a shop and everything). $200 later and that Mac is still running strong.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16115 posts
2685 upvotes
Toronto
If it's only the external ports that are loose, you can buy a replacement I/O card and replace them yourself.
Sep 30, 2015
151 posts
28 upvotes
York, ON
Why not take it to Apple Store. They can surely fix it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17866 posts
4431 upvotes
Toronto
krist8 wrote: Why not take it to Apple Store. They can surely fix it.
Maybe go there first to get a quote but it would most likely be way too expensive.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3703 posts
1143 upvotes
GTA
krist8 wrote: Why not take it to Apple Store. They can surely fix it.
They'll just replace the whole board, you'll loose your data and get a fat bill for $1k+.
Jan 12, 2017
496 posts
182 upvotes
If you have some connectivity, then likely the fingers are gummed up, or too loose to make a solid connection. Suggest tuner cleaner (spray nozzle in a can) and give the port a good drench (power off of course) and using a very small q-tip or magnetic head cleaner give it a once over. Then using a magnifier, and some tweezers see if you can lift the connector parts, then another bath of cleaner. Tape the cord tight (no movement possible) to the port and plug the other end into a USB hub/break out box.

The life of these ports are limited 5-10K , in and outs a few times a day translates into a 1000 pulls a year x the number of years, given humidity and careless pressure, early failure is not unusual. The proper repair would likely involve surface mount flowing equipment, and disassembly & assembly of the computer to the point that most business that make money would simply toss the board for new, some hobbyist could undertake this job but you would be looking at a fair price regardless.

This isn't a cheap fix.