• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2019 10:34 am
22 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29175 posts
14924 upvotes
Toronto
hence, that's why nobody, even unhaggle and APA, the likes have no idea on what the "invoice" price is. The best strategy is to shop around for a bunch of dealers and see who can give you the best price otr.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
The invoice price never meant anything to the dealer. It was a pure marketing tool and sites like Unhaggle and APA take advantage of buyers. It almost seems like AMA and Unhaggle are helping the dealers LOL
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12252 posts
6803 upvotes
Brampton
They only touched on it lightly but New car sales are crap for margin. The real money is in selling used cars.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18860 posts
6905 upvotes
Toronto
No the real money is in the service and parts.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29175 posts
14924 upvotes
Toronto
... and dealer admin fee (cash cow for providing very little to no value to the purchasers of new & old cars).

for example, euro brands charge between $300 - $500 per car sold. If each dealer moved 100 cars a month, that's $30 - $50,000 in almost pure margin x 12 months ... $$$$
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5031 posts
4106 upvotes
booblehead wrote: ... and dealer admin fee (cash cow for providing very little to no value to the purchasers of new & old cars).

for example, euro brands charge between $300 - $500 per car sold. If each dealer moved 100 cars a month, that's $30 - $50,000 in almost pure margin x 12 months ... $$$$
And pdi as well, it's like 1k for a car lot jockey making min wage to wash it and prep . It's like a few hr tops for new car , it's even bigger amt and money maker
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14826 posts
3813 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Did you guys read the article?
Holdback: Most automobile makers have used holdback for decades. Simply put, after the dealer has paid invoice for the vehicle, a small percentage of that invoice price or the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, or MSRP — the percentage varies from manufacturer to manufacturer — is returned to the dealer when the vehicle is sold. Holdback or a portion of the holdback money is a potential profit source, but some dealers rely on it to pay expenses.
There is some truth in that if the car is sold at invoice, the dealer makes nothing on the sale. I have some friends whose friend who sells at Honda and Mercedes-Benz. Let me ask them about it and see if they can tell me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5031 posts
4106 upvotes
geokilla wrote: Did you guys read the article?

There is some truth in that if the car is sold at invoice, the dealer makes nothing on the sale. I have some friends whose friend who sells at Honda and Mercedes-Benz. Let me ask them about it and see if they can tell me.
Sales won't know anything about it

You need to talk to the folks in accounting at the dealer to know
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29175 posts
14924 upvotes
Toronto
yup. Talk to the dealership controller and general mgr. It's all in the monthly & yearly financial reporting
Jan 20, 2012
826 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
Volume discount, marketing fund, sales tier discount, back-end program, etc. All these discounts are between manufacture and dealers. They varies each month. In fact dealer may just make a few % of the standard invoice price on the book. But the true profit are coming from these programs for the dealer owner. Sales has no access to these programs info except for certain bonus after # of cars sold and margin from Admin fee, warranty sell, ect.
Mar 2, 2012
171 posts
200 upvotes
MILTON
booblehead wrote: hence, that's why nobody, even unhaggle and APA, the likes have no idea on what the "invoice" price is. The best strategy is to shop around for a bunch of dealers and see who can give you the best price otr.
That is exactly what I did and after going to 5 different dealerships the price difference from the most expensive to the cheapest offer was 7,000$. All 5 dealers gave me their best price.

One dealer called me back and once I told them that I already bought a truck he asked me: Why didn't you say how much you were willing to pay for it?

I wanted to pay the lowest price.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4065 posts
4256 upvotes
jikiji626 wrote: That is exactly what I did and after going to 5 different dealerships the price difference from the most expensive to the cheapest offer was 7,000$. All 5 dealers gave me their best price.

One dealer called me back and once I told them that I already bought a truck he asked me: Why didn't you say how much you were willing to pay for it?

I wanted to pay the lowest price.
Were any of those prices below dealer invoice price?

Been buying cars for, probably 20-30 years and have never managed to get a dealer to go under dealer invoice price as holdback is ALWAYS not negotiable. Hopefully someone on RFD has managed to do this though.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
geokilla wrote: Did you guys read the article?

Did you read the article? Missed this par?
"The dealer may even reveal a dealer document sent by the manufacturer that shows the invoice price, the price the dealer allegedly paid to purchase that car. Sounds good, except the invoice doesn’t necessarily reflect the actual price the dealer paid to purchase the car from the manufacturer."
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Mar 2, 2012
171 posts
200 upvotes
MILTON
angryaudifanatic wrote: Was any of those prices below dealer invoice price?
Yes. Also, I should have mentioned that I traded in the vehicle as well.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14826 posts
3813 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote: Did you read the article? Missed this par?
"The dealer may even reveal a dealer document sent by the manufacturer that shows the invoice price, the price the dealer allegedly paid to purchase that car. Sounds good, except the invoice doesn’t necessarily reflect the actual price the dealer paid to purchase the car from the manufacturer."
I read it and from what my frined's friend told me, it is. Sooooo.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54640 posts
19440 upvotes
Up selling may get worst like offering carbon built up cleaning on BEVs.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
geokilla wrote: I read it and from what my frined's friend told me, it is. Sooooo.
Sooooo, now there is a source. LOL
I hope that person owns the dealership and knows exactly how the business is done? Other than the dealership comptroller and owner know exactly what and how it is done.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3142 upvotes
Markham
angryaudifanatic wrote: Were any of those prices below dealer invoice price?

Been buying cars for, probably 20-30 years and have never managed to get a dealer to go under dealer invoice price as holdback is ALWAYS not negotiable. Hopefully someone on RFD has managed to do this though.
At the right time, at the right dealer and on the right model you can get domestics for 4-8% below invoice before incentives. It will need some serious negotiating but seen it happen more than a few times.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1735 posts
1623 upvotes
Toronto
Actually a fairly factual article.

What's hilarious is seeing people suggesting dealers confirm, my friend this, cousin works in sales that... You could have the President of the manufacturer in this thread and people would still say they're full of crap, lying etc Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!