• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2019 10:05 am
[OP]
Nov 11, 2003
217 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto

Trying to convert some old bills to PDF

Want to convert some old bills to PDF and then dump them.

Which public library has a scanner with auto document feeder? If it could scan both sides will be perfect.

Buying a scanner is not a good idea as this is a one time job, all bills are e-bills now.

Thanks for sharing information!
15 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2071 posts
201 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
OP, do you have a somewhat new cell phone? iPhones have scanning built in (it can auto detect and save etc) through the notes app. You press the '+' symbol in the middle. Android has it too in a form of an app download I believe.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2003
217 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the idea, will go check local staples later.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2003
217 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Was thinking that too, but too many pages and too lazy to do it, so trying to get a scanner to save some energy.

Thanks anyway!
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2422 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
smartfish wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 9:53 am
Was thinking that too, but too many pages and too lazy to do it, so trying to get a scanner to save some energy.

Thanks anyway!
Sneak to the office copier and do it? Thats where I do mine....:X
[OP]
Nov 11, 2003
217 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:17 am
Sneak to the office copier and do it? Thats where I do mine....:X
Give HR a good excuse to fire me? Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1112 posts
554 upvotes
Barrie ON
smartfish wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 9:21 am
Want to convert some old bills to PDF and then dump them. ..........all bills are e-bills now.
If they are e-biils, then I assume they can be viewed on your PC. Simply print to PDF. This option is built into Windows.

Edit: Perhaps you mean that all "new" bills are already PDF, and you just want to convert your archived paper records.
Last edited by Rick007 on May 23rd, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2003
217 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Rick007 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:25 am
If they are e-biils, then I assume they can be viewed on your PC. Simply print to PDF. This option is built into Windows.
I want to convert some old paper bills and then get rid of them, all the e-bills are already in PDF format.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1536 posts
1071 upvotes
cyphon21 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 9:43 am
OP, do you have a somewhat new cell phone? iPhones have scanning built in (it can auto detect and save etc) through the notes app. You press the '+' symbol in the middle. Android has it too in a form of an app download I believe.
There are free apps to take/convert pictures to PDF on Android. Worked ok the only time I had to use.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1501 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
smartfish wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:21 am
Give HR a good excuse to fire me? Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Really? You would get in trouble by using the scanning option to generate PDF files?

How about looking for a monochrome laser all-in-one printer? Then sell it after you're done? Or gift it to somebody?

I bought a Brother all-in-one laser printer a while back during boxing day. It was around $100. You just place a stack of papers in the tray and scan to your computer as PDF files. I don't remember how it works if you want both sides of a sheet of paper in 1 PDF file.

EDIT: How old are those bills? Maybe you can just hold onto them for like 6 months to a year and then get rid of them.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24327 posts
4612 upvotes
Just buy a cheap inkjunk AIO printer for like $30-40 on sale and use it for the scanner only. Note: do not print with said inkjunk as ink will run out in 3 pages or will clog in 2 weeks, whichever comes first. Also some inkjunks will then refuse to even scan (!) when the ink is empty--stay away from these extra junky ones.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6317 posts
4812 upvotes
North York
honestly, i believe use your cellphone and take pictures of the bills would be the quickest way. Take a load, upload onto computer. Convert into pdf - which I don't think it's even needed at all if all you want is records, but you can do a batch, and it'd take a couple mins. I've been doing this for years.
Initially, I scanned them with my AIO printers, but geez, that took way more time than me taking a pic of the bill, 5 sec, another 10 sec to share the pic with my comp
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4467 posts
1730 upvotes
visa bills you get from Walmart are not going to feed well with adf. If that's what you plan to scan then don't bother - you'll have to use the flatbed scanner and manually flip.
Jun 6, 2018
45 posts
15 upvotes
Thrift shops like goodwill. Buy an all in one printer for a couple bucks.
Who cares if it don't print?