Parenting & Family

Trying to pick between two car seats - help? (Growing out of infant seat).

[OP]
May 10, 2011
112 posts
43 upvotes
GRIMSBY

Trying to pick between two car seats - help? (Growing out of infant seat).

Looking at either a Diono Radian 3RXT or a Clek Fllo - anyone have any opinions?

Thinking about a car seat that can do 3 across and moderately priced (total amount is about $500 with tax).

My one brother has 3 Dionos and likes them and my other brother has the Fllo and likes it (even would have got the Foonf if the Fllo wasn't gifted to them).

To me, there's not a lot of difference between them. Does anyone have any insight on what they like or don't like about each of these seats. They would be going into a midsize SUV that seats 5.

Thanks in advance.
3 replies
Dec 11, 2013
477 posts
389 upvotes
Richmond
With these two models, the main differences are seating height (more for kid to see) and size (for travelling). Latch system for Fllo and 3RXT are similar.

We are slightly different because we use the Foonf and RXT in separate cars. We like the Foonf more because of higher seat and rigid latch but would rather take the Radian travelling. Kid can see out my windows with her Foonf but not out mom's windows in her RXT but she doesn't seem to care.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2228 posts
1754 upvotes
I have both and I feel the Clek is sturdier and offers more protection. As mention Clek also has a higher seating position which my kid likes.

Pro for the RXT is it's much much easier to remove the fabric for cleaning. Kids will make accidents and they'll eat and make a mess.
May 21, 2012
322 posts
263 upvotes
Burlington
Some thoughts:
  • The Clek has an anti-rebound bar rear facing that the Diono does not have.
  • The Diono has more padding than the Clek.
  • At one point, Diono had angle requirements, but no method to modify the angle other than the angle adjuster. This meant that the seat was incompatible rear facing in some vehicles. I think they have stopped this, but I'm not sure.
  • I don't like either seat forward facing with a seat belt install. Seat belt is required (rather than lower anchors/LATCH) at a certain child weight. The Diono is incompatible in many vehicles, and I find the Clek FF seatbelt install can be difficult.
  • Legroom is not a safety concern, but the Clek offers more leg room rear facing.
  • The Clek will probably take up more space when rear facing compared to the Diono with angle adjuster.
  • If the backseat has hinges (typical in SUVs), the Clek is more likely to work rear facing (although no seat will work in every vehicle).
  • Clek has amazing customer service and is a Canadian company.
Note that these seats will work 3 across in some vehicles, but 3 across is impossible in other vehicles (either due to available width, seat belt geometry, hinges, etc.).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)