• Feb 26th, 2018 10:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1865 posts
491 upvotes
toronto

trying to repair a mashed motherboard pin

ok so I recieved a mobo but I noticed one of the pins is a bit curled looks smashed in, not really a bend. I've never done something like this, I was unable to stretch the smash. was wondering could I put a little dab of solder ontop of the pin so it will be level to make contact with the pin point? x79 socket 2011
Images
  • IMAG0090.jpg
think first, buy later.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33812 posts
7453 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Try to level it off with a utility knife so it matches the other pins.

Don't use any solder.

It actually doesn't look too bad. I am sure it will work as is when you drop a CPU in
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1865 posts
491 upvotes
toronto
I tried my best, its just too short, i've bent it all the back in hopes of straightening no go, will try cpu tomorrow.
think first, buy later.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7132 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
If you were to use solder, I would try it with the board upside down so the solder does not flow towards the socket via gravity.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Jan 12, 2017
545 posts
196 upvotes
A little dab of conductive paint might raise it enough?
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6180 upvotes
I was able to successfully fix a motherboard pin in similar condition to that using tweezers carefully. It takes quite a bit of dexterity though.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1491 posts
1194 upvotes
St Catharines
SickBeast wrote: I was able to successfully fix a motherboard pin in similar condition to that using tweezers carefully. It takes quite a bit of dexterity though.
+1 on the tweezers, they're actually a pretty handy tool for fine work like this!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29155 posts
9701 upvotes
Definitely don't use solder, that's a recipe for disaster if you mess it up. Just try the CPU in there with the pin like that. As long as it's not shorting another pin, you should be able to safely boot the board like that. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and you have to fix the pin still. There are a lot of redundant (e.g. ground) pins in the socket so a lot of times, if it's just one pin that's not contacting you won't see any issues at all and the board will work fine. If you're unlucky enough for it to be an essential pin or one that affects stability then you will have to fix it I guess, but even then I'd recommend bending it back and not doing anything crazy like trying to "dab solder" on it.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20176 posts
4729 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
SickBeast wrote: I was able to successfully fix a motherboard pin in similar condition to that using tweezers carefully. It takes quite a bit of dexterity though.
Agreed, my tools for this situation are:
- Long nose pliers for doing the main straightening and pulling
- One of those plastic BIC mechanical pencils with no 'lead' in it. You can lower mouth of the 'lead' opening down on top of the pin and then use the pencil to straighten out the pin.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1838 posts
860 upvotes
Ontario
Use the eyelet of a needle held with a small pair of pliers, and a magnifying glass and a steady hand...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Oct 26, 2006
584 posts
63 upvotes
East GTA - Durham Re…
I did this once. I used tweezers. Needle like. I was lucky though, the pins that were bent were not important.