Hot Deals

[TSC Stores] Plumber's Soldering Kit - Lead Free Solder & Tinning Flux $16.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2021 7:08 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 27, 2012
150 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto

[TSC Stores] Plumber's Soldering Kit - Lead Free Solder & Tinning Flux $16.99

this kit comes with tinning flux which make soldering somewhat easy for beginners
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

― Stephen McCranie
17 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 18, 2005
11303 posts
2746 upvotes
Kingston
Funny story when my Dad was building his home (did his own plumbing meticulously). The inspector admired how neat his work was a relayed a story of another home he'd heard of (not my Dad's). The plumbing work was done by the homeowner and all looked good so it was approved. They turned on the water and it went EVERYWHERE. Every connection leaked. Turned out the homeowner had used a soldering gun intended for electrical work and just covered the edge of the connection with solder. That would have been expensive re-work!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 31, 2005
1037 posts
614 upvotes
Waterloo
Yadvinder007 wrote: this kit comes with tinning flux which make soldering somewhat easy for beginners
Flux makes it "somewhat easy" for beginners?

Who does it without flux?
Happy Zoomer customer! $36/800m/5gb.
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 27, 2012
150 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
there's different types of flux. this flux has some solder in it which melts when heat is applied and flows into small crevasse that you might miss.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

― Stephen McCranie
Jr. Member
Aug 25, 2011
126 posts
148 upvotes
BURLINGTON
Upvote for introducing me to tinning flux.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2784 posts
2055 upvotes
Toronto
Stranger wrote: Flux makes it "somewhat easy" for beginners?

Who does it without flux?
No one.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 2, 2001
4366 posts
1709 upvotes
GTA
Not a fan of lead free solder for electronics, I use it at work and hate it. Wonder how bad it is for plumbing.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2784 posts
2055 upvotes
Toronto
shabby wrote: Not a fan of lead free solder for electronics, I use it at work and hate it. Wonder how bad it is for plumbing.
It's harder to work with if you ask the older guys, it has a lower melting point and they say it leaves neater joints. Using a good flux and solder won't give you any issues, if you're a good plumber you clean up your joints leaving them neat as you go.

I learned with lead free and see no real advantage to leaded solder. It is also not legal to use lead in potable plumbing seeing as its toxic (even though many homes still have lead pipes and soldered joints.)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
5919 posts
315 upvotes
Quebec
seems overpriced? cheaper regular price at hardware stores when buying seperately?
Newbie
Jan 8, 2011
46 posts
83 upvotes
Montréal
shabby wrote: Not a fan of lead free solder for electronics, I use it at work and hate it. Wonder how bad it is for plumbing.
Pretty sure it's not legal to use leaded tin for plumbing.
It's not bad because you are using higher temperature than for electronics anyhow. Maybe more a pain for valves, but if you use Mapgas and heat preferentially the pipe side it's not bad.
Jr. Member
Oct 10, 2011
148 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
Genblue wrote: Same kit is $19.99 at Rona.

Reviews do not look that good.
Reviews? You mean the 1 review by 1 person talking about the weight? As long as you are okay with the weight then it doesn't look like a deal breaker.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1590 posts
466 upvotes
cb2200 wrote: Reviews? You mean the 1 review by 1 person talking about the weight? As long as you are okay with the weight then it doesn't look like a deal breaker.
You're free to do your own research and make your own decision.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2784 posts
2055 upvotes
Toronto
tijonx wrote: Pretty sure it's not legal to use leaded tin for plumbing.
It's not bad because you are using higher temperature than for electronics anyhow. Maybe more a pain for valves, but if you use Mapgas and heat preferentially the pipe side it's not bad.
Pro tip: You should be heating the joint (connection) not the pipe.
Member
User avatar
Sep 25, 2019
461 posts
713 upvotes
Good Solder @ Good Price

$22.86 @ LOWES
Image

Good Flux @ Good Price

$4.99 @ Canadian Tire
Image
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2006
3394 posts
1852 upvotes
Toronto
Yadvinder007 wrote: there's different types of flux. this flux has some solder in it which melts when heat is applied and flows into small crevasse that you might miss.
Pretty sure it doesn't have solder in it. I believe it has an acid that helps "clean" the fittings.

Top