Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Source

TSCC - Demo Units - Brother MFC-290C Color Inkjet Multifunction Center $20 [DEAD]

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2011 1:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3889 posts
631 upvotes
Granby

[The Source] TSCC - Demo Units - Brother MFC-290C Color Inkjet Multifunction Center $20 [DEAD]

Edit #2 : Definitely dead now as the page is now lost in cyber space forever

GL to all those who purchased :)

-Online Only-

Looks To Be Dead (price in cart shows up as $70)
edit: now its really dead as its OOS online and instore.

LINK ("Sale" ends March 13, 2011. )

may have gotten it, but not willing to try my luck for a demo.

[IMG]http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/el ... OILK_C.jpg[/IMG]

* Unattended fax, copy or scan; up to 15-page auto document feeder
* Direct photo printing from media card slots, USB direct/PictBridge Interface
* 4-ink cartridge system ¿ replace only the cartridge that needs to be replaced.
* Fast print speeds up to 30ppm black and 25ppm color
* No PC Required for fax, copy or photo printing

Officedepot
- $50
Staples - $60 (OOS)
@ amazon.com (for reviews)
@ newegg.ca (for reviews)
34 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4140 upvotes
Toronto
Do Demo Units come with a full cartridge of black ink? Are refills cheap?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3889 posts
631 upvotes
Granby
i dont imagine they do much printing instore..soo i dont c why they wouldnt come with their oem cartridges.

as for refills a review says $8 but you maybe be able to find cheaper.
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4140 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered one, total after taxes comes out to be $28.66. I have still gallons of ink that I haven't been able to use since I upgraded to an expensive HP Laser printer.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6958 posts
4574 upvotes
thanks OP bought one for each of my 2 kids + one for me
looks like aftermarket carts are inexpensive and looks like carts are refillable too.
Brother OEM carts are around $12 ea.
Ontario ECO fees by percentage ($5.40 on a $19.99 purchase) are a bit of a rip off - but I realize that it's a flat fee.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2008
1083 posts
305 upvotes
thanks OP bought one for the fax :) only $22.02 total shipped to my store ... cheaper than all the 4 ink :)
Banned
Nov 4, 2010
2011 posts
204 upvotes
Montreal
This is a really old printer, right? Like 2007-2008, and the newest reviews I am seeing are from 2009. :facepalm:

I might still give it a shot, as ink is dirt cheap and highly available and it is a steal if my current Brother MFC (really cheap ink) gives up the ghost. ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3889 posts
631 upvotes
Granby
Date first available at Amazon.com: September 23, 2008

so yah..its getting up there :razz:
Banned
Nov 4, 2010
2011 posts
204 upvotes
Montreal
I gave it a shot, but remember to check the box for the ink cartridges (and make sure it is not already installed - i.e. dry) before taking possession of the unit.
Sep 30, 2008
788 posts
447 upvotes
Edmonton
I had the 'grandpa' of this version and it worked great. I bought two when they were on clearance at Best Buy for $29.96 and my mom is still using hers! You can't beat the price of replacement inks for these brothers - dirt cheap and they never die. Nice deal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3889 posts
631 upvotes
Granby
what surprises me now is that they seem to have quite a few as it still shows in stock :-0
Banned
Nov 4, 2010
2011 posts
204 upvotes
Montreal
daedalus2004 wrote: what surprises me now is that they seem to have quite a few as it still shows in stock :-0
Someone must have found a big crate of them in the warehouse. :lol:
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
11835 posts
2656 upvotes
Not only this is a 2009 DEMO, but it comes with starter ink-cartridges. I had a few Brother AIO in the past, none last more than 2 years (Printhead clogged), I used 3rd-party ink so that maybe one reason.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3889 posts
631 upvotes
Granby
82 wrote: Not only this is a 2009 DEMO, but it comes with starter ink-cartridges. I had a few Brother AIO in the past, none last more than 2 years (Printhead clogged), I used 3rd-party ink so that maybe one reason.

didnt know about the starter cartridges..is that 100% sure? anywaz you can return it back to TSCC right there after you check it out if you not happy.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2005
2190 posts
132 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I am still using the MFC240C, even older version than this and still am very happy with it. Crisp clear prints and dirt cheap refills. They don't have chips in the cartridges so it is easy to refill. My other newer HP printer died just after one year and this one is still going strong. I refilled using the same old black cartridge for so many times I lost count. Highly recommended.

The printer does automatic printhead cleaning, don't be discouraged as it does use quite a bit of ink, but since refill is so cheap I don't even care anymore.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12160 posts
3514 upvotes
They may throw in new inks, although the cost to them would be ridiculous, but when I bought a demo GPS, they threw in a new in package, USB car charger, and a 2 GB SD card, as the ones that would have come with the original unit were not found...
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12160 posts
3514 upvotes
daedalus2004 wrote: i dont imagine they do much printing instore..soo i dont c why they wouldnt come with their oem cartridges.

as for refills a review says $8 but you maybe be able to find cheaper.

I ordered from this guy before, and the ink works very well...
Brother ink on EbAY
All you have to do is run a cleaning cycle when you install the cartridge if they have sat too long... but at $2 a cartridge, an extra lost squirt of ink is nothing.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
11835 posts
2656 upvotes
It is on the manual. Anyway, since it is a demo, there is no guarantee it comes with the starter cartridges. If yes, this is a very good deal. If not, the deal is not even warm imo. The problem of these inkjets is it uses ink to prevent clog even if you don't print anything. The bright side is there is cheap 3rd party ink available. Even if it only lasts two years, who care? It's only $20.
daedalus2004 wrote: didnt know about the starter cartridges..is that 100% sure? anywaz you can return it back to TSCC right there after you check it out if you not happy.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4144 posts
2879 upvotes
Toronto
Just some tips for those who got the printer or is thinking of getting it.

I have this printer at home and at work(used as a fax machine but we changed it because of so much frustration).

Several things about this printer:

1) This printer cleans it self if you leave it plugged in every week or so. If you are not using it I would suggest that you unplug it(it's going to drain all your ink!!)
2) Do not trust the printer when it says that you need to replace the cartridge. There is usually still plenty of ink left. You need to wrap a dark tape around the sensor at the back of the cartridge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMUjt8yM0wg

3) For those who's just using this for scanning or faxing. This thing won't fax or scan when the ink is low! So beware and use the tape trick above. :)
4) This printer won't print if one cartridge runs out(i.e., yellow runs out and it won't let you print Black!). Again use the tape trick...LOL....
Dec 10, 2005
755 posts
Damn it just saw this deal and tried ordering, but sale over

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)