• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2019 3:49 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC

TSN & Ray Ferrari @World Juniors

Sitting here enjoying a very intense Canada/Russia game, but damn, will Ray Ferraro just STFU. The guy just goes on and on every time there's a break or the action slows down. Does he get paid by the number of words that come out of his yap?
Thank god for the mute button.
Is anyone else being irritated by this guy?

By the way, am I the only one watching this tournament?
Last edited by poleman on Dec 31st, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
16 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
I don't mind him. I do wish TSN would show the shot counters underneath the score like Sportsnet does.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
i dont mind him as well...

most of the time, voices of commentators are just white noise to me
Aug 26, 2013
78 posts
41 upvotes
Oakville
Definitely watching this tournament... AND - Ray Ferraro = ALL GOOD in My Books... BIG SMILES... /G
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
poleman wrote: Sitting here enjoying a very intense Canada/Russia game, but damn, will Ray Ferraro just STFU. The guy just goes on and on every time there's a break or the action slows down. Does he get paid by the number of words that come out of his yap?
Thank god for the mute button.
Is anyone else being irritated by this guy?

By the way, am I the only one watching this tournament?
He can be annoying. Sometimes it sounds as if he's reading a children's book - he's way too descriptive and should just let the picture do all the talking.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
BIGSMILESg wrote: Definitely watching this tournament... AND - Ray Ferraro = ALL GOOD in My Books... BIG SMILES... /G
I usually enjoy his commentary, informative and knowledgeable. But he never shut up during this game. No such thing as dead air.
Often a play was heating up and he was still throwing out stats.

Anyways, I'll tolerate him do long as Canada picks up it's game. Nothing better than playing for your country.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1886 posts
161 upvotes
I have always hated his commentary. At every single break in the action he feels the need to blab away, offering limited (at best) value to the broadcast. He is the absolute worst. Can't stand him. He may be very knowledgeable about hockey in *some respects*, it is his delivery/voice that I equate to fingernails down a chalkboard.

I generally hate watching hockey on TSN in general, as the broadcasters are far superior on every other network.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
I like Ray as well, he's one of the best colour commentators. He's got a great eye for the game and I enjoy his attention to detail.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
iamskyhigh wrote: What a disappointment.
The outcome, yes a terrible disappointment but the game was great tho. Canada is no longer a top contender as the rest of the world benefits from copy pasta. Great to see other countries getting good. So many years of Canada/Sweden/Russia/USA...
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
koffey wrote: The outcome, yes a terrible disappointment but the game was great tho. Canada is no longer a top contender as the rest of the world benefits from copy pasta. Great to see other countries getting good. So many years of Canada/Sweden/Russia/USA...
That was a great game to watch. Too bad for the broken stick at the end.

I think declaring that Canada is no longer a top contender is way too premature. Canada won gold last year and silver the year before, and gold in four years ago. This year, we just didn't have the elite scoring talent that we had in previous years. Canada will continue to be one of the favourites to win a medal each year.

It's obvious though that the some countries have closed the talent gap, and that's a good thing for hockey.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
sharpshooter88 wrote: That was a great game to watch. Too bad for the broken stick at the end.

I think declaring that Canada is no longer a top contender is way too premature. Canada won gold last year and silver the year before, and gold in four years ago. This year, we just didn't have the elite scoring talent that we had in previous years. Canada will continue to be one of the favourites to win a medal each year.

It's obvious though that the some countries have closed the talent gap, and that's a good thing for hockey.
I don't mean that Canada will never contend, I think that the level of other countries is much higher and therefore the field is much closer than most know. I certainly don't believe Canada will continue to medal like they have in the past either.
The game has changed. Canada was never really an elite scoring team and that is the problem. Our strengths, in all levels/pro/olympic, have always been tight defensive and taking the body while a few of the great scores the team had put the puck in the net. That is still true today and the problem. Beating teams by a goal or two was Canada's way whereas teams like Russia or Sweden normally had highly offensive talent. I'm not saying that Canada did not have any high output players, but that was never really Canada's advantage. Looking back since the mid 90's, Canada was never really that dominate over USA/Russia/Sweden and with NHL, teams like Finland, Swiss, have their own country men in the NHL to watch, to be idols to younger people and they recruit Canadian coaches to improve their programs. If Canada didn't beat you into submission, and if the defence failed, there was an awesome Canadian goaltender back there to make the save.

Regardless it was still an exciting tournament and will be exciting to see who wins it.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
koffey wrote: I don't mean that Canada will never contend, I think that the level of other countries is much higher and therefore the field is much closer than most know. I certainly don't believe Canada will continue to medal like they have in the past either.
The game has changed. Canada was never really an elite scoring team and that is the problem. Our strengths, in all levels/pro/olympic, have always been tight defensive and taking the body while a few of the great scores the team had put the puck in the net. That is still true today and the problem. Beating teams by a goal or two was Canada's way whereas teams like Russia or Sweden normally had highly offensive talent. I'm not saying that Canada did not have any high output players, but that was never really Canada's advantage. Looking back since the mid 90's, Canada was never really that dominate over USA/Russia/Sweden and with NHL, teams like Finland, Swiss, have their own country men in the NHL to watch, to be idols to younger people and they recruit Canadian coaches to improve their programs. If Canada didn't beat you into submission, and if the defence failed, there was an awesome Canadian goaltender back there to make the save.

Regardless it was still an exciting tournament and will be exciting to see who wins it.
Good points, but I still think this was just an off year. No need for a summit to fix our development system. Before this year, we've won gold 2 of the last 4 years. And 3 of those 4 years, we had no trouble scoring. It was just this year's team that lacked the offensive punch.

Let's see how we do next year but I've got no concerns right now.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote: Good points, but I still think this was just an off year. No need for a summit to fix our development system. Before this year, we've won gold 2 of the last 4 years. And 3 of those 4 years, we had no trouble scoring. It was just this year's team that lacked the offensive punch.

Let's see how we do next year but I've got no concerns right now.
Off year? How about the other teams were just better than us. Gotta change that mindset - the other countries haven't only caught us they have surpassed us. Just look at the top 3 in the up coming NHL draft

1. Jack Hughes USA

2. Kaapo Kakko Finland

3. Vasily Podkolzin Russia
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
blexann wrote: Off year? How about the other teams were just better than us. Gotta change that mindset - the other countries haven't only caught us they have surpassed us. Just look at the top 3 in the up coming NHL draft

1. Jack Hughes USA

2. Kaapo Kakko Finland

3. Vasily Podkolzin Russia
Not in my opinion. Won medals in 3 of last 5 years, 2 of them medal. I hardly think we've been surpassed based on that. We just weren't that good this year in the talent pool but I would still peg them be in top 3 every year.

We can revisit this next year if we don't win a medal again.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote: Not in my opinion. Won medals in 3 of last 5 years, 2 of them medal. I hardly think we've been surpassed based on that. We just weren't that good this year in the talent pool but I would still peg them be in top 3 every year.

We can revisit this next year if we don't win a medal again.
USA and Russia won 4 medals in the last 5 years.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
blexann wrote: USA and Russia won 4 medals in the last 5 years.
Haha sure but if we want to split hairs, in that 5 year span Canada has two golds and a silver, while USA only has 1 gold and Russia has none. I put more emphasis on the golds, but really, how do we determine which team did better?

Honestly, we're digging too much into this. Other countries have definitely caught up and Canada is only one of the favourites to win the tournament each year, but that's a good thing for hockey overall. I don't anyone needs to watch boring games like 14-0 blowouts.
Baaaaaaaaa!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)