Careers

TTC Hiring for Summer Positions NOW - Deadline Feb. 28th!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2006 9:41 am
Tags:
None
Oct 14, 2003
135 posts
20 upvotes

TTC Hiring for Summer Positions NOW - Deadline Feb. 28th!

The Toronto Transit Commission employs an average of 250 students annually during the summer months from May 1, 2006 to September 2, 2006 (prior to the Labour Day weekend). Therefore, students are required to work the entire summer term.

The TTC offers a wide range of entry level and specialty positions (both labourer and clerical) in various locations throughout the City of Toronto. Most positions involve working in a unionized environment. Some positions may involve working outdoors, while others may require specific licences, skills or work experience. The following is just a few examples of the types of positions available (click on the job title to view position description):

Carhouse Helper (vehicle cleaner)
Operating Garageperson
Subway Janitor
Surface Janitor
Escalator Mechanic's Helper
Warehouse Person
Landscaping
Station Collector
There may also be some clerical positions related to Finance, Administration, Call Centre and Information Technology.

The TTC maintenance areas operate 24 hours per day 7 days a week. Therefore, students must be flexible and willing to work shift work, as 80% of the positions available involve working various shifts (nights, afternoons, etc.) and off days (including working weekends and holidays).

http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/jobopps_students.htm
The Earth was blue, but there was no God
25 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
2179 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Which guy is responsible for cleaning human flesh and blood after suicide deaths?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
4070 posts
711 upvotes
Toronto
shawn99 wrote:Which guy is responsible for cleaning human flesh and blood after suicide deaths?
that's the job we'll all be avoiding.
Feb 20, 2005
657 posts
2 upvotes
lol, i worked at the TTC finance department last summer, we do absolutely NOTHING~~~ except getting fat from Tim Hortons :cheesygri
Apr 25, 2004
306 posts
7 upvotes
crabby1997 wrote:lol, i worked at the TTC finance department last summer, we do absolutely NOTHING~~~ except getting fat from Tim Hortons :cheesygri
how much do they pay?
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
17278 posts
73 upvotes
rocky_xiii wrote:how much do they pay?
"Salaries range from $12.34 to $14.61 per hour" according to the FAQ.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
how old do you have to be to work? im only 15, do you need a SIN? some jerk stole my SIN card.
Money, Religion, Sex and Politics is what it is all about!
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
Sep 22, 2004
882 posts
19 upvotes
Ajax
Yeah probably necessary to have a SIN card for payroll purposes. And umm just call or write a letter to get another one issued.
Feb 20, 2005
657 posts
2 upvotes
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote:how old do you have to be to work? im only 15, do you need a SIN? some jerk stole my SIN card.
yes, you need a SIN card, and plus you are going to get ur police check and health check too. I am not sure about other departments but in Finance, the students they hired are all in university.

I did meet some ppl who said they were doing non-clerical work when they were still in highschool, but fore sure you have to be at least 16 to work.
Jul 1, 2005
976 posts
30 upvotes
I am on probation does that mean I can't work at the TTC?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
2179 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
crabby1997 wrote:lol, i worked at the TTC finance department last summer, we do absolutely NOTHING~~~ except getting fat from Tim Hortons :cheesygri
Not for me. How about a job that stimulates you mentally, where you gain experience that you can use later in life!
Aug 13, 2005
164 posts
those who worked as an accounting clerk, how much were u paid?
Feb 20, 2005
657 posts
2 upvotes
keunganator wrote:those who worked as an accounting clerk, how much were u paid?
it depends on how many years you work there, but salaries do range from 12.34 to $14.61 per hour
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
2134 posts
191 upvotes
Canada
Oreo_The_Cookie wrote:The Toronto Transit Commission employs an average of 250 students annually during the summer months from May 1, 2006 to September 2, 2006 (prior to the Labour Day weekend). Therefore, students are required to work the entire summer term.

The TTC offers a wide range of entry level and specialty positions (both labourer and clerical) in various locations throughout the City of Toronto. Most positions involve working in a unionized environment. Some positions may involve working outdoors, while others may require specific licences, skills or work experience. The following is just a few examples of the types of positions available (click on the job title to view position description):

Carhouse Helper (vehicle cleaner)
Operating Garageperson
Subway Janitor
Surface Janitor
Escalator Mechanic's Helper
Warehouse Person
Landscaping
Station Collector
There may also be some clerical positions related to Finance, Administration, Call Centre and Information Technology.

The TTC maintenance areas operate 24 hours per day 7 days a week. Therefore, students must be flexible and willing to work shift work, as 80% of the positions available involve working various shifts (nights, afternoons, etc.) and off days (including working weekends and holidays).

http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/jobopps_students.htm

Just a little clarification for those who do plan on applying that the positions available, mentioned in the above post, are mainly for students...
Eligibility

To be considered for summer student employment, you must be:

* a full-time student, enrolled in full-time studies at a secondary or post-secondary institution; and
* returning to full-time studies in the Fall

You may be asked to provide proof that you meet these requirements.
Feb 3, 2005
957 posts
Thanks man, I'm definitely gonna apply. How many references are required? I wanna punch my present manager for making me take out the trash each day I work while making minimum wage :mad:
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3427 posts
196 upvotes
Anyone willing to be cleaners for the jumpers? :twisted:
The RFD Doctrine
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2003
1330 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Blunt wrote:Anyone willing to be cleaners for the jumpers? :twisted:
can't be that bad if they give you one of those crazy suits to wear like the ones you see when there is a chemical spill. Also there aren't that many jumpers at most probably 1 a week. The job is probably kind of like lifeguarding where you sit and do squat most of the time and then if your unlucky on your shift you'd have to clean up a mess.
Feb 20, 2005
657 posts
2 upvotes
gamovafan wrote:Thanks man, I'm definitely gonna apply. How many references are required? I wanna punch my present manager for making me take out the trash each day I work while making minimum wage :mad:
I didn't even think they checked my reference :lol:
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2005
1864 posts
35 upvotes
Scaborough
thezone wrote:can't be that bad if they give you one of those crazy suits to wear like the ones you see when there is a chemical spill. Also there aren't that many jumpers at most probably 1 a week. The job is probably kind of like lifeguarding where you sit and do squat most of the time and then if your unlucky on your shift you'd have to clean up a mess.
While you're not cleaning up a mess you'd probably be in therapy....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)