None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4581 upvotes
Alberta

Turbocharged Engines

Hey guys, just wondering what's your take on turbocharged engines. Are there going to be more problems than they're worth down the road and how long does a turbocharger last? Thinking about buying a 2016 Honda Civic EX-T and it has a 1.5L turbocharged engine. I guessing with a 1.5L engine, there's going to be some or lots of turbo lag. We were looking at the EX but the 2.0L engine has a recall and there was a stop sell on all the cars with the 2.0L and I sure don't want one of these. New car with a rebuilt engine >> no thanks.
82 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36182 posts
10315 upvotes
Ottawa
Deleted....duplicate post
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36182 posts
10315 upvotes
Ottawa
Turbochargers have been around for 100 years now.
Turbocharger technology has evolved to become a very reliable performance enhancing device. The old problems of lag is long gone. They last for as long as the engine will last.
They were in aircraft in WWII.
Turbos have been on diesel engines for mny decades too.
Turbochargers are an efficient way of drawing power from smaller engines.
They have become almost trouble free at this time in their life....although regular oil changes are critical.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Jun 10, 2008
466 posts
334 upvotes
Halton Hills
I have a 2007 rdx 2.3l 4 cylinder turbo. Haven't had any issues with approx 190 000 km.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9676 posts
3087 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
I've had turbo car for 8 years, 0 problems with turbo. Now another car with turbo and soon another car with turbo.

Turbos are here to stay and for a very good reasons too. Get turbo for sure.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
2812 posts
3581 upvotes
Calgary
2006 Forester XT - original turbo, no problems after 9 years of ownership.
2011 BMW X3 35i - no problems with the turbo after 4 years of ownership.
2016 WRX - solid engine, no issues so far. 1 year of ownership.

As as someone mentioned above, stick with the regular maintenance intervals and you'll be fine.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2007 posts
657 upvotes
Markham
Problem is not with the turbocharger. It is with the operator.

I had a factory turbocharger that lasted more than 200k km. It was still okay but I upgraded to a different turbocharger.
My aftermarket turbocharger has +30k km with no issue.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2878 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
Nothing to worry about.

They obviously add moving parts compared to a similar NA engine, but have been around for ages and manufacturers take them seriously for the average person/daily driver including all of the rigourous temperature extreme and logetivity testing.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18653 posts
2375 upvotes
Woodbridge
thisischris wrote: I have a 2007 rdx 2.3l 4 cylinder turbo. Haven't had any issues with approx 190 000 km.

I remember when the RDX first came out and thought about it but questioned Honda going with a Turbo.

My boy bought the 2016 Honda Coupe Touring, it's amazing I really love it though I wish the seats could've been better. We drove to Niagara Falls last night and my back was sore, he let me drive to and back. It felt so good when I sat in my Murano seats. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35606 posts
21668 upvotes
Center of Universe
Timely OCI is a must for turbocharged vehicles.
Otherwise, they're maintenance free and don't generally fail.

But, tuning them to produce more boost can result in catastrophic failures.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4581 upvotes
Alberta
I just read a review on the 1.5L and there is turbo lag on this engine from a standing start. There always will be until the revs wind up. Wish it didn't have a CVT tranny though.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
173 upvotes
Modern turbos are much better than the old ones, but I wouldn't say lag has gone. We test-drove a 2015 Forester XT for a few hours, and there was none of the old 'floor the gas and count to 10' feeling from a 1980s turbo car, but the lag was still noticeable... enough that my girlfriend simply couldn't drive it with her lead foot.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2763 posts
1763 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Am I the only one who absolutely loves turbo lag? It's so fun when it finally kicks in.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35606 posts
21668 upvotes
Center of Universe
jackrabbit000 wrote: I just read a review on the 1.5L and there is turbo lag on this engine from a standing start. There always will be until the revs wind up. Wish it didn't have a CVT tranny though.
Turbo needs to spool up in order to create boost...
You shouldn't expect much on an economy vehicle.

When performance becomes a requirement, you will see twin turbo as the preferred setup.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5532 posts
1416 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Pete_Coach wrote: Turbochargers have been around for 100 years now.
Turbocharger technology has evolved to become a very reliable performance enhancing device. The old problems of lag is long gone. They last for as long as the engine will last.
They were in aircraft in WWII.
Turbos have been on diesel engines for mny decades too.
Turbochargers are an efficient way of drawing power from smaller engines.
They have become almost trouble free at this time in their life....although regular oil changes are critical.
Mechanics echo this about the infamous BMW 335i. Turbos often die from neglect.
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36182 posts
10315 upvotes
Ottawa
jackrabbit000 wrote: I just read a review on the 1.5L and there is turbo lag on this engine from a standing start. There always will be until the revs wind up. Wish it didn't have a CVT tranny though.
I think that, while there may be some "turbo lag", we are dealing with a 1.5 litre honda engine and not a race car. The lag would not be evident nor really detrimental in your daily commuter. Where the turbo helps is highway driving where it is already spooled up and you have power to pass.
It is a small commuter car, if you are after performance, then perhaps that should not be your choice? :)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36182 posts
10315 upvotes
Ottawa
FirstGear wrote: Mechanics echo this about the infamous BMW 335i. Turbos often die from neglect.
Everything dies from neglect. It is nature's way. :)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: Hey guys, just wondering what's your take on turbocharged engines. Are there going to be more problems than they're worth down the road and how long does a turbocharger last?
Have a ~8 year old Subaru with a turbo and it's fine - only thing is that you need to fill it up with premium gas according to the manual.

Turbo lag is fine once you get used to it - on my car it's only 1 second or so if you slam on the gas.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36182 posts
10315 upvotes
Ottawa
coolspot wrote: Have a ~8 year old Subaru with a turbo and it's fine - only thing is that you need to fill it up with premium gas according to the manual.
Maybe for your Subaru but my Kia runs fine on regular. The owners manual will let you know what is suggested and what can be used.
Premium can provide a bit more horsepower but, it it worth the expense for 2 to 4 more HP? Oh and, you may get a bit better mileage depending where you get your gas as many premium fuels do not have any ethanol...again, is it worth the extra 15 to 22 cents per liter?
Dec 24, 2009
817 posts
459 upvotes
Wooooshh tsh ths tsh ths Whooooshh tshu tshu tshu tsh