• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2020 10:42 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
15 posts
23 upvotes

Turning off Auto payments

I have couple of auto payments including a gym membership which is pretty much dead due to the covid19 situation,
How to turn it off considering that the gym is just charging every month?
10 replies
Aug 15, 2018
73 posts
66 upvotes
Call the gym and ask to discontinue the services.
You cant just stop paying bills. They will send you to collections and ruin your credit.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3478 upvotes
The NORTH
My gym is not collecting fee's during its shutdown. If yours is, you may want to cancel you membership irregardless....
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3821 upvotes
Ofirsc wrote: Call the gym and ask to discontinue the services.
You cant just stop paying bills. They will send you to collections and ruin your credit.
Gyms don't send to collection. Scare tactic like private parking ticketing
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7452 posts
3564 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Gyms don't send to collection. Scare tactic like private parking ticketing
Are you saying private parking ticketing is not legitimate or legal? If so, good to know.

We had a problem with an alarm company contract a few years back and when they wouldn't honour a condition they promised in the original contract, we stopped making payments. We also sent them a letter telling them the reason why we stopped making payments and encouraged them to take us to court if they weren't satisfied with it. They never took us up on it. I might suggest to OP that he/she notify the gym of his/her intention to discontinue payments followed by a statement in writing supporting this action. If the gym later gives him/her a hard time, then he/she can pursue a dispute with them.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2855 posts
1859 upvotes
Toronto
Back to the original question - there are only 2 ways to stop pre-authorized debits against your bank account or credit card. Either get the vendor to agree to cancel your service and stop taking withdrawals, or contact your financial institution and convince them to de-authorize.

I've never tried the latter. They will have a record on file of you authorizing the company to take money from your account each month. You need to convince them the agreement is no longer valid.

Or drain your bank account and open a new account. Change your credit card number - claim it's lost.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17107 posts
2153 upvotes
Out west
Really an ask first is the best option. If you call the gym and they deny it, then just say you wont be coming back then, and block your payments.

This is a weird time for every person on this planet. If businesses that provide a service cant anymore due to this, why should you keep paying. Would they allow you to use the gym for free if you had no job? Which you could also ask as well.

A good company would make sure their clients are taken care of whatever way they can in this crisis, so they have them when this is all over. Bad ones wont, and will lose business after the fact, and then die off.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8997 posts
10421 upvotes
Vancouver
spraveenitpro wrote: I have couple of auto payments including a gym membership which is pretty much dead due to the covid19 situation,
How to turn it off considering that the gym is just charging every month?
Tip for anyone signing up for gym membership contracts: Don't use a real credit card for this. Use a prepaid credit card where you control the balance. Same goes for online free trials that auto-charge you afterwards. A prepaid card with a $2 balance is just enough for those small authorizations that check that the card is valid, but will reject all charge attempts larger than $2. Every RFDer should have one of these. I use Koho prepaid MC for this.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1923 posts
404 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I usually just get my bank to swap my account number then try to deal with the gym.
Banned
Oct 23, 2018
85 posts
54 upvotes
Make sure it's far enough from withdrawal date that you're able to call in and cancel.

If it were me, I'd never do an auto debit if I could help it.

I'm sure some twit at the gym will tell you some convoluted process you have to follow through the bank, but anyway...
Apr 18, 2017
560 posts
419 upvotes
What about car payments and car insurance. Anything we can do about those?