• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2019 8:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 11, 2018
77 posts
36 upvotes

Turning right with green indicator arrow

I tried searching the web for answers but there's no clear distinct answer and 311 doesn't have any clear answers.

The situation is I'm approaching an intersection with a red light camera where j want to turn right. The circle indictator for the direction I'm travelling is red but when I reach the white line there is a fourth circle below the red with a green arrow pointing for a right turn so I proceed to slow down but don't come to a complete stop and make my right turn as well the car doing the same behind me.

I'm assuming we have the right turn arrow because traffic going perpendicular to my route has an advanced green for left turns and the pedestrians have the stop signal to not walk.

My concern is am I supposed to come to a complete stop before making this indicated right turn or does that defeat the purpose of the indictator arrow?

I know that I'll find out in 30 days if a ticket shows up in the mail but just for piece of mind if anyone can shed some light on this scenario

Thanks !
16 replies
May 20, 2017
803 posts
583 upvotes
ON
If there is a green right turn signal, you don't need to stop.
[OP]
Apr 11, 2018
77 posts
36 upvotes
That is what I was thinking or it would defeat the purpose but the customer service rep at 311 said you still have to stop completely but couldn't cite a source which made me worry that infact I was going to get slapped worth a 325 ticket
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1524 posts
632 upvotes
Green arrows are funny things........the rule says no one can move accept for those with the green arrow. When there is an advanced green arrow to turn left it is technically an offence to stop at the red and then turn right.
Selling 2017 Ford Focus Electric, White, Cloth, 2 Sets of Tires and Rims, Undercoated and 3M Front End, 56k, - $16,000.00
Selling 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Unlimited Hybrid, White, 18inch x 2 Sets of Wheels, Undercoated, 48k, Extend War - $38,000.00
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1524 posts
632 upvotes
andrewmay9 wrote: That is what I was thinking or it would defeat the purpose but the customer service rep at 311 said you still have to stop completely but couldn't cite a source which made me worry that infact I was going to get slapped worth a 325 ticket
No stop required, the red is telling every other direction to stop, right turn go
Selling 2017 Ford Focus Electric, White, Cloth, 2 Sets of Tires and Rims, Undercoated and 3M Front End, 56k, - $16,000.00
Selling 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Unlimited Hybrid, White, 18inch x 2 Sets of Wheels, Undercoated, 48k, Extend War - $38,000.00
[OP]
Apr 11, 2018
77 posts
36 upvotes
No I'm in Toronto.

Just read through that thread.

Just anxious because don't want to have to deal with a ticket
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5474 posts
2280 upvotes
Toronto
andrewmay9 wrote: No I'm in Toronto.

If you have a green right arrow, and you're turning right, that means you have a green light. Treat it like you have a green light. "Right turn on red" is treated like a stop sign, so it would make no sense to have a green light that you have to stop at.

If you're turning right on a green right arrow (or left on a green left arrow), and you come to a complete stop at the line, the guy behind is probably going to rear end you...
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11850 posts
8119 upvotes
Edmonton
andrewmay9 wrote: No I'm in Toronto.

I’m not going to bother looking things up again for Ontario, but in Alberta you can proceed without stopping when you have a green arrow. That’s the point to the arrow, as opposed to allowing “right on red” turns (which is allowed everywhere that’s not specifically disallowed by sign or signal).

In any case, you’ll either get a ticket or you won’t. Knowing the right answer now won’t change that. You could also call your local “non-emergency” police line, or in my area, there’s local precincts that have FB presences that you can contact. A 311 operator probably knows about as much as you do when it comes to traffic laws. But they might be able to direct you to your local traffic signalling department for someone who installed the lights and their purpose...

C
Dec 19, 2015
934 posts
484 upvotes
Calgary, AB
CNeufeld wrote: Do you have two threads going?

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/right-t ... n-2285278/

I posted a link in there for Alberta, stating you don’t need to stop.

Give a location if you want an accurate response

C
No, OP is not me. He’s talking about green arrows, my thread was about black signs. Re reading my OP though I now understand why you started talking about green arrows. Miscommunication there.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11850 posts
8119 upvotes
Edmonton
Andy34 wrote: No, OP is not me. He’s talking about green arrows, my thread was about black signs. Re reading my OP though I now understand why you started talking about green arrows. Miscommunication there.
The black and white sign in your case simply indicates that the right lane is a right hand turn lane. If there was not right turn on red, you would have a sign specifically for that, like:

https://images.app.goo.gl/ioKX33VnebaA7Xst6
https://images.app.goo.gl/C7LFNjFGSNXRLGzS8
https://images.app.goo.gl/iRdbaNFpHoXYEqyo9

C
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5277 posts
2840 upvotes
Toronto
I know for sure if you don't stop or travel over 10kmh while making a right turn, the red light camera will get you.

Safest way would be to do a complete stop because you never know if the advance green had just turned off while you are turning.

What I been doing at my red light camera front of my place is slow down to crawl or stop then process on red or advance green. So far no ticket.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3840 upvotes
QTheNukes wrote: Green arrows are funny things........the rule says no one can move accept for those with the green arrow. When there is an advanced green arrow to turn left it is technically an offence to stop at the red and then turn right.
But then how do people turning right know the opposite way has a advance left turn green? That's what I found confusing.

In all other instances, would the left turner have to give way to the right turner from the opposite way? (when there isn't a stop, or a stop with no advance left turn).

To me it always made sense the left turner would have the right of way and the right turner would give way, since it's harder to turn left as you must wait for opposite traffic going forward (in an intersection with no lights, or just a T intersection.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2563 posts
1536 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peteryorkuca wrote: I know for sure if you don't stop or travel over 10kmh while making a right turn, the red light camera will get you.

Safest way would be to do a complete stop because you never know if the advance green had just turned off while you are turning.

What I been doing at my red light camera front of my place is slow down to crawl or stop then process on red or advance green. So far no ticket.
That's bad camera design then. A green right means you have right of way to turn right. if the camera doesn't take it into account, someone should get fired.

Now I will always be weary of green right turns with cameras. So annoying.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28237 posts
8690 upvotes
andrewmay9 wrote: I tried searching the web for answers but there's no clear distinct answer and 311 doesn't have any clear answers.
311? You mean like the rude boys from Omaha, Nebraska? lol
Jun 4, 2019
1 posts
Edmonton, AB
peteryorkuca wrote: I know for sure if you don't stop or travel over 10kmh while making a right turn, the red light camera will get you.

I was recently making a right turn and had a solid green arrow allowing me to do so. However, just as I pulled up to the line the green arrow disappeared with no warning. I wasn't able to react fast enough (I wasn't speeding, but not slowed down enough to stop) and ended up going through the right turn on the red without stopping. This also happens to be an intersection with a camera. But I didn't notice any flash. When I went through the same intersection the next day, I noticed that after the green arrow disappears, the lights stay red for about a second and then the lights go green.

I also noticed at a different intersection (which also had a red light camera), three cars turned right without making any attempt to stop. The flash didn't go off at any time. Maybe our cameras here don't ticket for right turns (I'm in Edmonton btw).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)