Automotive

Tuscon Rated Best in new IIHS Small SUV Overlap Test

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2016 2:00 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 29, 2014
533 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Tuscon Rated Best in new IIHS Small SUV Overlap Test

"The Institute conducted 40 mph passenger-side small overlap tests on seven small SUVs with good driver-side small overlap ratings. Only one of the vehicles, the 2016 Hyundai Tucson, performed at a level corresponding to a good rating, and the others ran the gamut from poor to acceptable."

Good for Hyundai, they really are trying to get better and better with each model year. Toyota on the bottom and the only SUV with a poor rating...hardly surprising from a stagnant company and a SUV that rides on a dated 20 year old platform.

Here are the findings, listed in this order: vehicle model, driver's side protection rating, passenger's side protection rating.

2016 Hyundai Tucson: Good, good
2015 Buick Encore: Good, acceptable
2015 Honda CR-V: Good, acceptable
2015 Mazda CX-5: Good, acceptable
2014 Nissan Rogue: Good, marginal
2014 Subaru Forester: Good, marginal
2015 Toyota RAV4: Good, poor

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopne ... rs-at-risk

Image
44 replies
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 29, 2014
533 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bartium wrote: Nice bait brah
You may not like the results but IIHS did release the report yesterday and anyone buying a small SUV should at least be informed. With so much volume of Small SUVs being sold you don't think customers should know that the RAV4, being one of the more popular models, rated poorly? Especially after the RAV4 failed the tests just two years ago, tried to improve it in 2015 but cut corners and only improved one side to pass the test?

Again, you may not like it but customers like to be informed about high performing vehicles like the Tuscon and poor quality cars like the RAV4 before a purchase.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35601 posts
21667 upvotes
Center of Universe
Fiddilixx wrote: You may not like the results but IIHS did release the report yesterday and anyone buying a small SUV should at least be informed. With so much volume of Small SUVs being sold you don't think customers should know that the RAV4, being one of the more popular models, rated poorly? Especially after the RAV4 failed the tests just two years ago, tried to improve it in 2015 but cut corners and only improved one side to pass the test?

Again, you may not like it but customers like to be informed about high performing vehicles like the Tuscon and poor quality cars like the RAV4 before a purchase.
Tuscon ≠ performance
Jr. Member
Mar 5, 2016
156 posts
58 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Tuscon ≠ performance
I do not think that Fiddilixx referred to the tuscon as a performance vehichle, rather then it performed highly in the crash tests, which according to the authority it did. This is relevant information and interesting at that. I cant see how these types of findings would not effect toyota negatively as for many safety is a top priority.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35601 posts
21667 upvotes
Center of Universe
toro17 wrote: I do not think that Fiddilixx referred to the tuscon as a performance vehichle, rather then it performed highly in the crash tests, which according to the authority it did. This is relevant information and interesting at that. I cant see how these types of findings would not effect toyota negatively as for many safety is a top priority.
Performed "highly" would also be an overstatement, considering it didn't exceed the test.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 29, 2014
533 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote: Performed "highly" would also be an overstatement, considering it didn't exceed the test.
Well you can't beat #1 :) .
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36181 posts
10315 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: Tuscon ≠ performance
vkizzle wrote: Performed "highly" would also be an overstatement, considering it didn't exceed the test.
Another guy that cannot get over the fact his favorite did not do well. Same as the JD Power rating KIA as best in initial quality. Many hate that :)
What is even more grating in his result is the that the KIA Sportage rated the same as the Tuscon as it is the same chassis and basic body.
Fiddilixx wrote: Well you can't beat #1 :) .
Tee Hee
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12252 posts
6802 upvotes
Brampton
vkizzle wrote: Performed "highly" would also be an overstatement, considering it didn't exceed the test.
Good is excelling the test. Acceptable is meeting the test....

This isn't like school where you have terrible grade inflation.

Unless you think all cars should be like Tesla or Soviet Russia where car crashes test?

Hyundai being #1 a side I'm more horribly disappointed that Toyota is just not taking safety seriously in their new refreshes. Pretty much all their cars from the top Spec LS Lexus to the lowest end base Corolla are scoring poor (not many of their cars are getting the Safety Pick+). First it was their lack of engine development and their super long in the tooth chassis' now this.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2004
3955 posts
871 upvotes
Mississauga
trixstar wrote: You conveniently left out the mazda cx-3

Superior rating and top safety pick.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... 4-door-suv
OP is showing the results of the "front passenger" small overlap crash test.
All the previous tests were done on the "front driver" side which many of these SUVs already ace.
However, the airbag design/distance on the front passenger side is different vs the driver side thus the results would be different.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42463 posts
6771 upvotes
Is this the same as "Small overlap front" test on IIHS's website?
Blanka
Sr. Member
Mar 9, 2009
600 posts
187 upvotes
I think "Small Overlap Front" refers to 'drivers-side' crash at this point. Was reading that IIHS may create a new category (passenger-side small overlap) if they find more vehicles underperforming, and will be a requirement for Top Safety Pick ratings in the future.

A little disappointing. It feels like most manufacturers focused only on the driver-side as that was the 'exam' they needed to pass.

For all people bringing up other cars (CX3 really? Not even the same category as the compact SUVs above). ALL current small-overlap grades on the IIHS site are for driver-side only. Does not reflect how they would do on a passenger-side small overlap crash. I imagine IIHS will re-test a lot of vehicles again to see how they fare.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36181 posts
10315 upvotes
Ottawa
trixstar wrote: You conveniently left out the mazda cx-3

Superior rating and top safety pick.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... 4-door-suv
Not left out,.... the test the OP quoted was just one of the 5 tests that are done.
Also, not all small SUV's were tested.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4317 upvotes
There will be a lot of disappointed small SUV owners out there.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35601 posts
21667 upvotes
Center of Universe
Fiddilixx wrote: Well you can't beat #1 :) .
So as hundred of other vehicles.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35601 posts
21667 upvotes
Center of Universe
Pete_Coach wrote: Another guy that cannot get over the fact his favorite did not do well. Same as the JD Power rating KIA as best in initial quality. Many hate that :)
What is even more grating in his result is the that the KIA Sportage rated the same as the Tuscon as it is the same chassis and basic body.

Tee Hee
Actually, my 2015 RX350 performed well all around also, but you don't see me showboating.

Seems that KIA owners have more to prove, while this type of result is normal for many different makes and models.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35601 posts
21667 upvotes
Center of Universe
tebore wrote: Good is excelling the test. Acceptable is meeting the test....

This isn't like school where you have terrible grade inflation.

Unless you think all cars should be like Tesla or Soviet Russia where car crashes test?

Hyundai being #1 a side I'm more horribly disappointed that Toyota is just not taking safety seriously in their new refreshes. Pretty much all their cars from the top Spec LS Lexus to the lowest end base Corolla are scoring poor (not many of their cars are getting the Safety Pick+). First it was their lack of engine development and their super long in the tooth chassis' now this.
As per my response to the other two, there are many other vehicles that scored well all around.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1231 posts
444 upvotes
London, ON
djemzine wrote: Is this the same as "Small overlap front" test on IIHS's website?
Almost, they are starting to test passenger side as well. as MANY manufactures focused just on the driver side, and left the passenger weak.

Top