• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2024 3:40 pm
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon

[Tutorial] Link External Accounts to Simplii Financial

Rather than reviving an old thread, figured I'd make a new thread with updated info.

FAQ:
  1. How many external accounts can I link to Simplii? - @Shawguy provided DP for max 10 (vs. 3 with Tangerine, 10 with EQ, and none with most of the big five)
  2. Why would I link external accounts? - bigger limits than e-transfer (or no limits if doing it over the phone), no cheques involved, no hassle once setup
  3. Does this work in mobile app? - once setup, yes, but can't link accounts via mobile app
  4. Any fees to transfer funds? - not with Simplii, but YMMV with other banks
  5. How can I see upcoming external transfers? - during the same session, they can be seen under upcoming transfers. After logging out, they will disappear, but they will still be processed on the selected date

Easiest method:
  1. call customer service, request secured email to submit external account (one email per account)
  2. In the secured email, download the PDF
  3. Fill out PDF
  4. Get PAD form from other bank with stamp or a void cheque
  5. In the secured email, follow the link. Within that link, reply and send attached documents (can be a photo from smartphone of the PDF and the stamped PAD or void cheque)
  6. Wait 2-7 business days, then enjoy

Alternative method:
  1. log in online (via web browser, not mobile app)
  2. Click on add external accounts found in Transfers -> Bank to Bank Transfers
  3. Input the account info (transit/institution/account #'s)
  4. Click send
  5. Snail-mail the PAD (stamped) or void cheque
  6. Wait longer, then enjoy

Note: for smaller FI's (credit unions), follow the steps of adding external account via online banking in web browser, then request secured email (rather than snail-mail).
Last edited by titaniumtux on Sep 17th, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Thread Summary
254 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
I just don't understand why institutions like PCF/Simplii and Tangerine require the snail-mail step, whereas others like Hubert and the defunct Ally Financial let you do it with just an online test transfer.
Dec 21, 2007
825 posts
277 upvotes
Scarborough
Exp315 wrote: I just don't understand why institutions like PCF/Simplii and Tangerine require the snail-mail step, whereas others like Hubert and the defunct Ally Financial let you do it with just an online test transfer.
Tangerine doesn't require it for linking to an external bank (although they might still require it when setting up/funding your first account with them). For linking external accounts, they simply send 2 transactions and you need to confirm the amounts to finalize the link.
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2370 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto
How do we link Tangerine's account with Simplii? I can't get Tangerine void cheque stamp anywhere...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7020 posts
2906 upvotes
Victoria, BC
For clarity, wouldn't the thread title be better worded as '[Tutorial] Link External Accounts from Simplii Financial'?

Or, '[Tutorial] Link External Accounts within Simplii Financial'

Not nitpicking, but just to avoid any confusion.

The tutorial is certainly valuable in order to take advantage of Simplii's virtually unlimited 'push' options.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Exp315 wrote: I just don't understand why institutions like PCF/Simplii and Tangerine require the snail-mail step, whereas others like Hubert and the defunct Ally Financial let you do it with just an online test transfer.
No snail-mail required using the first method I posted. They used to accept void cheque only, now they accept stamped PAD. Simplii is no Tangerine, they're basically a "no frills CIBC" but once this is setup, it's far more convenient than other banks.
spy cl wrote: How do we link Tangerine's account with Simplii? I can't get Tangerine void cheque stamp anywhere...
Called Tangerine customer service, requested a PAD stamped by them to be snail-mailed to me (since I only have a savings account with them). Snapped it with my phone, and uploaded it via secured email.
macnut wrote: For clarity, wouldn't the thread title be better worded as '[Tutorial] Link External Accounts from Simplii Financial'?

Or, '[Tutorial] Link External Accounts within Simplii Financial'

Not nitpicking, but just to avoid any confusion.

The tutorial is certainly valuable in order to take advantage of Simplii's virtually unlimited 'push' options.
"Within" might be appropriate, but wanted to keep thread title short and direct, and even that could be ambiguous (to be accurate, would have to be "within Simplii online banking account").
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
Max 10 accounts can be linked at Simplii Financial it is not unlimited
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8476 posts
6210 upvotes
is it possible to link Tangerine savings account to Simplii? I don't have chequing account so no void cheque to set it up
Dec 21, 2007
825 posts
277 upvotes
Scarborough
mkl38s wrote: is it possible to link Tangerine savings account to Simplii? I don't have chequing account so no void cheque to set it up
Why not just spin-up a chequing account with Tangerine as it is free and use it to shuffle funds around? Tangerine also instant-transfers between your own internal accounts, so you can move money from savings to chequing (and back) in under a minute, unlike some other banks that take 24 hours to process even internally.
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Shawguy wrote: Max 10 accounts can be linked at Simplii Financial it is not unlimited
Where do you see max 10 accounts? Several Simplii CSR's have told me it's unlimited number of external accounts. Please show me your sources.
mkl38s wrote: is it possible to link Tangerine savings account to Simplii? I don't have chequing account so no void cheque to set it up
Yes you can. Call Tangerine customer service, and request a PAD (pre-authorized deposit) form stamped by the bank to be snail-mailed to you. They print a letter with the account info, stamp it, and mail it to you. Then upload via secured email to Simplii.
Conundrum1911 wrote: Why not just spin-up a chequing account with Tangerine as it is free and use it to shuffle funds around? Tangerine also instant-transfers between your own internal accounts, so you can move money from savings to chequing (and back) in under a minute, unlike some other banks that take 24 hours to process even internally.
Not everyone wants a chq account with Tangerine, especially if they have one or more with Simplii.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
titaniumtux wrote: Where do you see max 10 accounts? Several Simplii CSR's have told me it's unlimited number of external accounts. Please show me your sources.
My sources are that I have 10 accounts linked.... And you get an error message of you try to add more... I'll see if I can get a screenshot tomorrow. I've had to delete one to add another.

I've had Simplii "PC Financial" for over a decade.

You got bad info... Call back and ask again.

Show your evidence that you have more than 10 linked.... Because you won't be able to.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Shawguy wrote: My sources are that I have 10 accounts linked.... And you get an error message of you try to add more... I'll see if I can get a screenshot tomorrow. I've had to delete one to add another.

I've had Simplii "PC Financial" for over a decade.

You got bad info... Call back and ask again.

Show your evidence that you have more than 10 linked.... Because you won't be able to.
Thank you for the information.

I also had Simplii/PCF for a long time, but only recently started linking external accounts. I don't think I'll make it to ten any time soon (only have three linked so far...I may link another one or two this year).

Is it really worth dealing with ten or more banks though? Mind you I don't see why banks would put such a limit on the number of external accounts linked.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
titaniumtux wrote: Rather than reviving an old thread, figured I'd make a new thread with updated info.

FAQ:
  1. How many external accounts can I link to Simplii? - unlimited (vs. 3 with Tangerine, 10 with EQ, and none with most of the big five)
Here is a screenshot from SImplii Financial's website showing that you can only have 10 accounts linked
Simplii Financial.JPG
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
titaniumtux wrote: Thank you for the information.

Is it really worth dealing with ten or more banks though? Mind you I don't see why banks would put such a limit on the number of external accounts linked.
It's easy when chasing the best rate which being a part of this forum causes. You open accounts and multiple banks to get the best savings rate. lol
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Shawguy wrote: Here is a screenshot from SImplii Financial's website showing that you can only have 10 accounts linked
Simplii Financial.JPG
Shawguy wrote: It's easy when chasing the best rate which being a part of this forum causes. You open accounts and multiple banks to get the best savings rate. lol
OP updated, thank you.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2138 posts
955 upvotes
Does this work with Simplii high interest savings accounts (or only chequing)?

Good thread by the way... Thanks OP.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
mbmbkop wrote: Does this work with Simplii high interest savings accounts (or only chequing)?

Good thread by the way... Thanks OP.
It works with chequing, savings and LOC with Simplii. That means once an external account is linked to your Simplii account, you can push and pull between any Simplii account and any external linked account. That means you can push money from Simplii savings to Tangerine/EQ/etc. and it'll go out as early as next day (and appear in the external account the following day).
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2016
1265 posts
683 upvotes
I just tried the following:
-------------------------------------------------
Easiest method:
call customer service, request secured email to submit external account (one email per account)
In the secured email, download the PDF
Fill out PDF
Get PAD form from other bank with stamp or a void cheque
In the secured email, follow the link. Within that link, reply and send attached documents (can be a photo from smartphone of the PDF and the stamped PAD or void cheque)
Wait 2-7 business days, then enjoy
--------------------------------------------

And I was rejected. The agent said they only allow this method if you're trying to pay off a loan or a product at Simplii. I didn't argue because I didn't have much time. The agent said I must set it up using the alternative slower method.

I will try again.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
yydd4567 wrote: I just tried the following:
-------------------------------------------------
Easiest method:
call customer service, request secured email to submit external account (one email per account)
In the secured email, download the PDF
Fill out PDF
Get PAD form from other bank with stamp or a void cheque
In the secured email, follow the link. Within that link, reply and send attached documents (can be a photo from smartphone of the PDF and the stamped PAD or void cheque)
Wait 2-7 business days, then enjoy
--------------------------------------------

And I was rejected. The agent said they only allow this method if you're trying to pay off a loan or a product at Simplii. I didn't argue because I didn't have much time. The agent said I must set it up using the alternative slower method.

I will try again.
Makes no sense. Call again and request the secured email for external account linking.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2016
1265 posts
683 upvotes
I did call again and I was able to get the secure email link. Here is what happened:
  1. The first time I called I spoke to a new agent. They automatically misunderstood what I was trying to do.
  2. When I called back the second time, the agent was looking at the notes of the first agent. So that agent only had the context of the first agent and didn't really listen to me.
  3. When I called the third time, the new agent understood and sent me the secure link.
I just filled everything out and replied to the email with all the documentation. Hopefully it goes through.

Thanks for your help.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

jsmitho