• Jul 12th, 2020 2:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4600 posts
4658 upvotes
Vancouver

Tuya Smart Life drops IFTTT support

Apparently they don't like paying IFTTT a fee. This is unfortunate, as a large number of IoT devices use Tuya Smart Life as their control server, such as the Globe devices sold at Canadian Tire and The Source. This is one of the problems of the current home automation scene, lack of cooperation between suppliers of devices and services, frequent unexpected changes and cuts to service.

8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1963 posts
795 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
Scote64 wrote: Apparently they don't like paying IFTTT a fee. This is unfortunate, as a large number of IoT devices use Tuya Smart Life as their control server, such as the Globe devices sold at Canadian Tire and The Source. This is one of the problems of the current home automation scene, lack of cooperation between suppliers of devices and services, frequent unexpected changes and cuts to service.

Yep. I cannot remember which devices I had that dropped ITFFF, but slowly one at a time is dropping support. I have migrated away from ITFFF. But it is sad, because it was a fast and reliable service. No phone app provides the equivalent to being able to trigger different devices on the same events. The SmartThings Webcore works for most of my devices. For those that don't I can setup virtual devices for alexa routines. But I really don't like having my automation depend on Amazon's servers either. If it is a voice command I give Alexa, it makes sense. But do I really want things like security routines to turn on lights to depend on Alexa?
Nov 23, 2004
785 posts
1392 upvotes
Ontario
facebook259 wrote: Yep. I cannot remember which devices I had that dropped ITFFF, but slowly one at a time is dropping support. I have migrated away from ITFFF. But it is sad, because it was a fast and reliable service. No phone app provides the equivalent to being able to trigger different devices on the same events. The SmartThings Webcore works for most of my devices. For those that don't I can setup virtual devices for alexa routines. But I really don't like having my automation depend on Amazon's servers either. If it is a voice command I give Alexa, it makes sense. But do I really want things like security routines to turn on lights to depend on Alexa?
Have you looked at Home Assistant? I ditched SmartThings and direct Google, Alexa, etc. integration long ago in favor of Home Assistant being my hub, and then my voice control service (Google home devices) simply integrating with Home Assistant. Also allowed me to ditch IFTTT, and I later opted to get rid of most home automation devices that weren't based on open protocols like Z-Wave or ZigBee so I could almost completely eliminate my dependency on proprietary hardware vendors who, like we see here, will start to kill off old or non-profitable product lines over time and leave people high and dry who bought those products for a specific purpose.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4600 posts
4658 upvotes
Vancouver
mindabsence wrote: Have you looked at Home Assistant?
Home Assistant is a great addition to any home automation setup, and allows for some degree of local control. But its support for Tuya Smart Life devices is via the Smart Life internet service. There have been a couple of glitches in that support that required patches to restore only partial functionality, and with Tuya implementing new authentication measures, it may well break again now. Home Assistant does get frequent updates, but that's part of the problem - the updates are too frequent, and usually the changes are sufficient to break a few things with each update, so it takes a lot of work to keep up.

Another option is to flash the devices with something like Tasmota, forget about Smart Life control and take over local control instead. But that only works on a subset of devices, and only if you have not updated the device firmware to the latest version, which recently changed to deliberately block such aftermarket flashing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4600 posts
4658 upvotes
Vancouver
Tuya went ahead with dropping Smart Life support for IFTTT as of June 1. There was an official announcement to customers using the Smart Life app on May 31.

There is now an alternative: the redundantly-named Brilliant Smart (https://brilliantlighting.com.au/) has added support for Smart Life devices, including an Android app in the Google Play store and working IFTTT support. You have to remove your devices from Tuya Smart Life and add them to the Brilliant Smart service. Unfortunately there is no support yet for Brilliant Smart in Home Assistant
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4600 posts
4658 upvotes
Vancouver
Tuya says today they have reached a new agreement with IFTTT and expect to restore support by the end of June.

There are ongoing problems with Home Assistant Tuya support component though. For about a week the function to set the colour of colour bulbs didn't work - then it was restored. But Tuya also implemented a new request rate limiter that screws up Home Assistant, and that's an ongoing problem with no resolution in sight. When you flip the state of a Tuya-supported switch now it returns "rate limit error" on the follow-up status check about 80% of the time. That makes HA think that the function didn't work, so it restores the original state indication of the switch, then picks up the correct new state about 30 seconds later on the next poll.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4600 posts
4658 upvotes
Vancouver
So, further news: it seems that IFTTT is trying to shake down all the companies that work with them for a fee as of the beginning of June. eWeLink, the service that supports most Sonoff-based devices was also hit up for a fee. Their solution is to make support for IFTTT a paid option - US$10 per year for "Premium" service including IFTTT.

"Dear eWeLink user,

Thank you for using eWeLink service on IFTTT.

This is a kind reminder that IFTTT has become a paid service from May 31, 2020. Only advanced users have access to it.

If you would like to continue to use our service on IFTTT, please upgrade your account to the advanced plan immediately, or your current connection may expire anytime soon. (As soon as it expires, all the applets you set with your eWeLink account will be cleared completely and cannot be reversed. You will have to re-create all of them later when you upgrade your account.)

Apart from eWeLink service on IFTTT, advanced users also enjoy more new features and exclusive privilege. The Advanced Plan package includes: - eWeLink Web (The web-based eWeLink app for PC/Mac/tablets) - 10 homes - 200 rooms - 1000 scenes - 200 groups - 100 Shared users"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6578 posts
2950 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Been using the Tuya app as it works better then Globesmart's own app for wifi plugs. Couldn't even get the Globesmart app to connect whereas Tuya has connected with several plugs.

Works fine for us and seems IFTTT is trying to change the game in their favour at inconvenience to users.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.