None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
3492 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto, ON

TV Boxes?

Just learned about TV Boxes and wanted the opinions as to which of these would be the best for my situation. I don't have a 4K tv, so I will need it primarily for regular Netflix, Kodi & Youtube. Down the road maybe IPTV? I guess a VPN is also needed on the box? These are the ones with the best reviews right now. Maybe someone could explain what makes them differ? For anyone else whose curious and whats to learn.

Xiaomi Mi Box
Amazon Fire TV
Minix Neo U1
Roku Stick

Thanks
12 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21086 posts
10548 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Just get the mi box and a vpn if you want to run exodus on kodi.

You won't regret it
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
3492 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nasa25 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 7:45 pm
Just get the mi box and a vpn if you want to run exodus on kodi.

You won't regret it

Awesome. Thanks

Is it possible to load a VPN directly on the mi box?

What's the biggest difference to Xiaomi Mi Box and Minix Neo

Thanks
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21086 posts
10548 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
JRGUINNESS wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 8:21 pm
Awesome. Thanks

Is it possible to load a VPN directly on the mi box?

What's the biggest difference to Xiaomi Mi Box and Minix Neo

Thanks
The neo has solid hardware but it's not running true android tv. You want a box running android tv and not just android (mobile) software

Choices are NVIDIA shield, mi box and google nexus player. Since the nexus player isn't sold anymore that limits you to the shield or mi box. The shield is more than double the price of the mi box and if you aren't interested in gaming, paying the extra money isn't worth it.

As for vpn, you can just sideload the vpn software. I have IPVanish and sideloaded the apk onto both my shield and mi box.

As for iptv you can run it through either stb emulator or kodi. I prefer the look and feel of stb emulator for iptv.
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5073 posts
859 upvotes
If your router is fast enough and has either DD-WRT or Tomato firmware, you can run OpenVPN client on it so your entire network is protected.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2397 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
NASA, I already have mag box now and happy with it. If I buy mi box for Kodi, Netflix etc , do you think I would have a need to run iptv from it? I mean I can switch to mag for that right....
Where do the Android boxes like T95z plus stand against mi box ... I heard that because they run vanilla Android, you can install more apps on them whereas the no of apps for Android TV are limited...
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21086 posts
10548 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Asker123 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 9:51 pm
NASA, I already have mag box now and happy with it. If I buy mi box for Kodi, Netflix etc , do you think I would have a need to run iptv from it? I mean I can switch to mag for that right....
Where do the Android boxes like T95z plus stand against mi box ... I heard that because they run vanilla Android, you can install more apps on them whereas the no of apps for Android TV are limited...
You can either run iptv through the mag or stb emu on any android box like the mi box. Will be the same thing pretty much.

I prefer android boxes running android tv over ones running just android because the UI is just so much better and much more polished. I hated the junky version of android running on the two leelboxes that I purchased only to return.

Also you can sideload whatever you want on a box running android tv. I don't see a single benefit of getting a non android tv box over one running android tv. Maybe someone with knowledge on the subject can chime in....

I'm running a shield in the living room and a mi box in the bedroom and couldn't be happier with the setup
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2397 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
nasa25 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 11:16 pm
You can either run iptv through the mag or stb emu on any android box like the mi box. Will be the same thing pretty much.

I prefer android boxes running android tv over ones running just android because the UI is just so much better and much more polished. I hated the junky version of android running on the two leelboxes that I purchased only to return.

Also you can sideload whatever you want on a box running android tv. I don't see a single benefit of getting a non android tv box over one running android tv. Maybe someone with knowledge on the subject can chime in....

I'm running a shield in the living room and a mi box in the bedroom and couldn't be happier with the setup
OK I had taken Mag box because I was told that the stability of the live iptv was superior than the Android boxes. If you are saying MI box could do the job pretty much same than I think I would have just bought that. As I have only one tv and will be switching from MI box to mag and vice verse any ways.
But now that I have mag box, I think the other box I would need for kodi, netflix etc...MI box seems good.

YOu bought from Amazon right
Which of the two links below you bought..

https://www.amazon.ca/International-Ver ... rds=mi+box

or

https://www.amazon.ca/Xiaomi-Internatio ... rds=mi+box

Did it come with US/Canadian power adapter. Both are promising that in the title itself but I read on the first one ( with 23 reviews) that someone did not receive the Canadian power adapter..
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21086 posts
10548 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I've never owned a mag box so I can't speak for the stability issue but once you load the iptv portal, whether it be on a mag, shield, mi box, minix neo, etc I'm assuming it would be the same reliability (which would be dependent on your internet speed and the reliability of the iptv server).

When you get the mi box try your iptv subscriptions on both devices (mag and mi box) and compare to see if you notice any difference.

I got mine from bluetecs (first link) but buying direct from xiaomi shouldn't be an issue either. The one from bluetecs comes with the north american power adapter as well as a cover for the remote (a thin white skin like cover).

I'd advise to grab a ugreen ethernet adapter as well to ensure consistent streaming speeds. It also gives you 3 usb ports for peripherals.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00LLU ... UTF8&psc=1

The ethernet suggestion is assuming you will have your router in close proximity to the mi box. I've been using wifi on my mi box for the past couple days (adapter is due in today for me) and it's pretty good on wifi, but I just like taking advantage of ethernet whenever possible.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2397 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
OK ..I dont have a router. My whole set up is at one place. I have a modem with built in wifi. This modem has 4 ports for Ethernet . Right now mag box is connected to one port. Can't I just put the MI box in the other Ethernet port so I wouldn't need this Ethernet adapter I mentioned.

Does the remote which comes with MI box good enough. I saw that many people buy these kind of remotes also

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MDK1950?psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01NGYRJKI?psc=1
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21086 posts
10548 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
You need the adapter because the mibox doesn't have a LAN (Ethernet port). All it has is a USB port.

I think the mibox remote is pretty good but if you want a keyboard style remote for easier input for kodi searches, then by all means get one of the ones you linked. I have a leelbox wireless keyboard remote connected to my mi box and it's pretty good. You'll need the ugreen adapter because it has multiple USB ports that will be required if you want to run peripherals like a wireless keyboard
Aug 31, 2006
927 posts
82 upvotes
I'm very new to this as well and was going to start another thread but luckily here it is.

I also have a non-4k, non-smart TV, and need a box for the same features. I've been carrying my big laptop over to the TV to connect via HDMI every time.

I need something that'll run Kodi/YT/Netflix as well, but also I need to be able to access the regular ersion of chrome (i.e. not mobile) because I can't figure out how to get my sports streams to work properly with Pro Sport/Kodi so I just go straight thru reddit. And whenever I try using mobile chrome I can't see anything because of the ad overlays.

So it looks like the Mi Box is the best option?? Can I still use it to get onto the regular Chrome or does it just have the android version (probably a stupid question but I don't understand 100%)

What is a VPN exactly, and what's it needed for? I know it's something you need to purchase but what is the benefit?

Cheers
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21086 posts
10548 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Grab the mibox and sideload the chrome browser apk

A vpn hides your physical location and is good if you want to watch geo-restricted content or to stay out of the purview of the copyright trolls when watching exodus content.