• Aug 5th, 2021 9:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1832 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario

TV Remote ergonomics

I'm scratching my head and wondering why a perfectly good Remote was changed for something thinner, longer, then it's surface area was under utilized with smaller buttons and over 2" of bare space at the bottom? Older remote fit in the hand better and has bigger and more tactile buttons.

What am I missing? Are they just doing things as cheap as possible or are worse ergonomics better now? Why do you need a 9 1/8" remote with so much unused space?

2021 Remote (Left), 2017 Remote (Right).

14 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3241 posts
1991 upvotes
SW ON
How do you press those bottom buttons on the short remote with one hand? It seems that the longer remote is more ergonomic for that reason.

Don't you have more important things to do?
Nov 6, 2014
909 posts
1560 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Because it's a Sony? Un-intuitive.Face With Tears Of Joy
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1832 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
alpovs wrote: How do you press those bottom buttons on the short remote with one hand? It seems that the longer remote is more ergonomic for that reason.
Very easily actually.
fordmaple wrote: Because it's a Sony? Un-intuitive.Face With Tears Of Joy
That's quite possible. They never show you the remote at the store so it's a surprise when you get it home.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3241 posts
1991 upvotes
SW ON
Gibsons wrote: That's quite possible. They never show you the remote at the store so it's a surprise when you get it home.
Do you chose TVs by their remotes?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2903 posts
1561 upvotes
London
did they change batteries from triple a to double or from 2 to 4 batteries other then needing more space for extra or larger batteries seems like extra dead space for nothing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1832 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
aaron158 wrote: did they change batteries from triple a to double or from 2 to 4 batteries other then needing more space for extra or larger batteries seems like extra dead space for nothing.
No, same two AAA right at the end of the remote... just a lot of dead space.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3241 posts
1991 upvotes
SW ON
Hmm, OP. You started a conversation on a public forum, then you sent me a PM. Why start a public discussion if you are not comfortable discussing the topic? I didn't imply sarcasm in my answers. All my remotes have a space without buttons at the bottom. I think it's because of what I said. But I replaced them all with one Harmony remote.

If you open up both of your remotes you will find that they are pretty much empty inside with a single board with almost no components. They are not trying to save anything. It's their vision of ergonomics.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8432 posts
3010 upvotes
Maple
I found my Sony (2016) remote is not very responsive. I really point directly to TV and it is not easy holding and controlling with 1 hand. Hopefully new one is better.
Last edited by teoconca on Aug 5th, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1832 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
teoconca wrote: I found my Sony (2016) remote is not very responsive. I really point directly to TV and it is not easy holding and controlling with 1 hand. Hopefully new one is better.
What's the model #? I find my 2017 one just gets wonky when the batteries are getting low. Swap them out and proper function is restored. I use rechargeable batteries but Alkaline seem to last longer.

Using my old one I can do everything and reach all the buttons pretty well with One Hand. New one is over 9 inches and spreads everything out, so there's goes that. I'm sure someone with small hands could never reach all the buttons with one hold anyway.

Both will operate the other TV as well, except for the "Speech" feature which seems to not work. The LG TV my new Sony replaced had a very small remote, probably 6" long and wider than these.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4500 posts
4660 upvotes
GTA
I have a longer one, minus the Prime and Disney+ button. I find it's easy to use with one hand, no issues for me. Just looking at the picture of the old one, the buttons look very cramped together, especially from the directional circle down. I'd imagine it is easier for some to trip over buttons that way. Plus buttons have been rearranged into 3 columns as opposed to 4, which then makes it easier to use a function without looking. I intuitively click the play and pause pretty regularly without looking on my remote, it's right down the middle. Same with the gear icon when I switch the speakers to my surround system, the Home screen, and the back buttons. I'd never be able to do that on the old remote. I find it's a great design in a dark room.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11968 posts
1774 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I never really thought about TV remote ergonomics before... The only buttons I use are power and volume up/down. My TV just acts as a big monitor hooked up to a PC. I don't use any of the smart features.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8432 posts
3010 upvotes
Maple
Gibsons wrote: What's the model #? I find my 2017 one just gets wonky when the batteries are getting low. Swap them out and proper function is restored. I use rechargeable batteries but Alkaline seem to last longer.

Using my old one I can do everything and reach all the buttons pretty well with One Hand. New one is over 9 inches and spreads everything out, so there's goes that. I'm sure someone with small hands could never reach all the buttons with one hold anyway.

Both will operate the other TV as well, except for the "Speech" feature which seems to not work. The LG TV my new Sony replaced had a very small remote, probably 6" long and wider than these.
My remote is RMT-TX200U. Just replaced batteries, they were Sony original with the TV since 2016. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Images
  • 1EEBC4D8-AF38-46DB-BC4B-20C65529B8A0.jpeg
  • 98C3D8E6-44EC-4EA2-9822-1FF2DCA17EDD.jpeg
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1404 posts
972 upvotes
Vancouver
Since I got my FireStick with the Programmable IR Fire Remote, never even needed any of those remotes. It controls both my TV & Amplifier
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1832 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I never found a universal remote to do all the functions I wanted... I go into the Menu more than other people I guess. Always checking my OTA signal strength and scanning for more channels and stuff.

My Sony remote controls most of my Firestick functions anyway.