Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2388 posts
348 upvotes

TV return to Costco

Just wondering if anyone has returned a TV to Costco, and if so, are there any "gotchas"? The TV I bought is now cheaper elsewhere (or the next size up is the same price as what I have), so I'm thinking I may want to return what I have.

Thing is it's not a whole lot cheaper (right now anyway, hoping for a sale or coupons to come soon!), so if there are hidden restocking fees or something like that, then it's not going to be worth my time.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
GSRee wrote: Just wondering if anyone has returned a TV to Costco, and if so, are there any "gotchas"? The TV I bought is now cheaper elsewhere (or the next size up is the same price as what I have), so I'm thinking I may want to return what I have.

Thing is it's not a whole lot cheaper (right now anyway, hoping for a sale or coupons to come soon!), so if there are hidden restocking fees or something like that, then it's not going to be worth my time.
You have to be within the 90 return policy... They are pretty straight up, no issues, just a few questions why the unit is not suitable... Just a note: the return policy and warranty is way better than factory, does that fit in to the equation?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19342 posts
3382 upvotes
Toronto
Costco doesn't charge restocking fees. They either take it back or they don't.
Mar 17, 2009
184 posts
77 upvotes
Mississauga
Also, keep in mind that the new TV you buy will become bigger / cheaper again in a matter of a month or two.... and you will not have the option of returning it at your leisure elsewhere.

The warranty rocks at Costco. I had to call the concierge with an issue with my PC, and they were first class with it.... they work with HP to have a longer warranty than HP normally gives out, and my PC got fixed.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19226 posts
1713 upvotes
Anything you buy electronic will always be cheaper somewhere else within a month. Unless you are talking like a 25%+ drop, I would just suck it up.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2388 posts
348 upvotes
ah802 wrote: You have to be within the 90 return policy... They are pretty straight up, no issues, just a few questions why the unit is not suitable... Just a note: the return policy and warranty is way better than factory, does that fit in to the equation?
Yeah the fact that they extend to 2 years is definitely a factor. But then buying from a big box store with my Visa will extend it to 2 years as well. So that was going to be my next question: Is the Costco warranty really that much better? Because my problem here is that I haven't really seen anything else I want to buy at Costco (it's not close enough to do day to day shopping like I see a lot of people doing when I'm there), so to keep the warranty I'll have to renew my membership twice, which is going to add to the overall cost.
bratman wrote:Also, keep in mind that the new TV you buy will become bigger / cheaper again in a matter of a month or two
Yeah I realize that, and if the price had been cut in half 91 days past when I bought it, I'd be totally OK with that. But since it's come down (although not in half) within the 90 day window, I'd like to save some money if it'll be a decent amount.
brunes wrote:Unless you are talking like a 25%+ drop, I would just suck it up.
I'm looking more for a $ amount to make it worth my while. Right now the new regular price is only $30 cheaper, but if a 10% off or $50 off $500 comes up, then we might be more like $100+, and I'm OK with a little extra packing and unpacking for that. Plus as mentioned before it'll save me 2 renewals of a membership I don't really use, so could really be $200+ savings. I guess you're right it would be silly to worry about that on a $3000 TV, but this one was nowhere near that price.
Mar 17, 2009
184 posts
77 upvotes
Mississauga
You do not need to renew your membership at Costco to keep the warranty valid on the TV. You bought it, it has a warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6575 posts
1185 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
If you have worries might as well return it.

I have returned TV's before and as long as it's within 90 days they will take it back. There might be some questions as to why you are returning but nothing that really prevents the refund. Try to put it back into original packaging and everything that came with it to make the process simpler.

I would rather buy a TV from Costco due to their excellent customer service, but unfortunately they don't often stock the higher-end models.
There's a sucker born every minute.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2388 posts
348 upvotes
bratman wrote: You do not need to renew your membership at Costco to keep the warranty valid on the TV. You bought it, it has a warranty.
I realize the manufacturer's warranty is still valid for 1 year, it's the extended year that Costco offers that I assume will not be honoured without a valid membership.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15584 posts
13185 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What if one doesn't have any of the packaging or manuals?
Apr 21, 2009
949 posts
109 upvotes
Winnipeg
GSRee wrote: I realize the manufacturer's warranty is still valid for 1 year, it's the extended year that Costco offers that I assume will not be honoured without a valid membership.
You don't need the Costco membership for you warranty claims. The warranty goes on the TV and if you don't renew your membershp you're still covered. :!:
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19342 posts
3382 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: What if one doesn't have any of the packaging or manuals?
All you need are the actual components of the TV. The remote, batteries, cables, etc. The manuals don't really count as part of those. I used to be the guy who inspected electronics returns at Costco when I worked there, and I've seen people bring in just the TV and a jumble of crap in their hands with no packaging or anything. They don't really care as long as the stuff is there and you're not trying to steal a remote or anything.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
1139 posts
24 upvotes
pompoco wrote: You don't need the Costco membership for you warranty claims. The warranty goes on the TV and if you don't renew your membershp you're still covered. :!:
So exactly when did you buy this tv?
2010..what a year!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2388 posts
348 upvotes
I just received a response for their customer service department, and they've indicated that you DO need to be an active member for the extended warranty to be honoured.

Still no good deals elsewhere so I'll probably end up keeping the TV in the end.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1689 posts
201 upvotes
pompoco wrote: You don't need the Costco membership for you warranty claims. The warranty goes on the TV and if you don't renew your membershp you're still covered. :!:
My friend had a water dispenser which broker after one year. He had bought it at Costco but he was not a member anymore. He called them and they said they would replace it but he had to renew his membership, so he did.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2031 upvotes
Nowhere
Doesn't anyone else have a problem with this? Electronics will always get cheaper but you don't return something that you have been using because it is cheaper. Once you start using something, it is yours. Costco can't resell it as new so who pays for it? The cost gets passed on to other members. I don't have a problem asking for a price adjustment within the return period but returning something that is used but not defective, is not right. It is because of people abusing Costco's return policy that they have tightened up on it. If people keep it up, we'll be lucky to return anything at all.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2388 posts
348 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote: I don't have a problem asking for a price adjustment within the return period
Normally I'd agree with everything you said, but the problem I've found with Costco is that everything seems to have a model number that is slightly different in some way compared to other retailers, so while the unit is probably identical in every way, the lack of a matching model number makes getting a price adjustment impossible. (And even if the model numbers did match, from what I've read Costco won't price match other retailers anyway.)
Aug 5, 2007
644 posts
91 upvotes
GSRee wrote: Normally I'd agree with everything you said, but the problem I've found with Costco is that everything seems to have a model number that is slightly different in some way compared to other retailers, so while the unit is probably identical in every way, the lack of a matching model number makes getting a price adjustment impossible. (And even if the model numbers did match, from what I've read Costco won't price match other retailers anyway.)
i believe cheap cat meant if the price drops in costco within the 90 day period...
Oct 15, 2007
852 posts
74 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote: Doesn't anyone else have a problem with this? Electronics will always get cheaper but you don't return something that you have been using because it is cheaper. Once you start using something, it is yours. Costco can't resell it as new so who pays for it? The cost gets passed on to other members. I don't have a problem asking for a price adjustment within the return period but returning something that is used but not defective, is not right. It is because of people abusing Costco's return policy that they have tightened up on it. If people keep it up, we'll be lucky to return anything at all.
I agree with you 100%. HOWEVER, on reading this board, it would appear that many more people abuse (sorry... take advantage of... ;) ) store return policies than I had realized. In other words, welcome to the real world.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2006
2069 posts
78 upvotes
I returned my 52" LCD tv to costco the other day. Because it was raining, the CSR started bitchin about how the box wasn't its original as it was wet and damaged. I argued with her for a bit and eventually she took back the tv.

It doesnt matter if tv price goes down and OP wants to return his. If he is doing it within the return period.....he has every right to. If the policy was 60 days or 1 week he would do it within that period. Abusing a policy is when people return stuff by damaging or altering them.