• Dec 2nd, 2009 7:48 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2029 upvotes
Nowhere
Doesn't anyone else have a problem with this? Electronics will always get cheaper but you don't return something that you have been using because it is cheaper. Once you start using something, it is yours. Costco can't resell it as new so who pays for it? The cost gets passed on to other members. I don't have a problem asking for a price adjustment within the return period but returning something that is used but not defective, is not right. It is because of people abusing Costco's return policy that they have tightened up on it. If people keep it up, we'll be lucky to return anything at all.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2387 posts
347 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote: I don't have a problem asking for a price adjustment within the return period
Normally I'd agree with everything you said, but the problem I've found with Costco is that everything seems to have a model number that is slightly different in some way compared to other retailers, so while the unit is probably identical in every way, the lack of a matching model number makes getting a price adjustment impossible. (And even if the model numbers did match, from what I've read Costco won't price match other retailers anyway.)
Aug 5, 2007
643 posts
91 upvotes
GSRee wrote: Normally I'd agree with everything you said, but the problem I've found with Costco is that everything seems to have a model number that is slightly different in some way compared to other retailers, so while the unit is probably identical in every way, the lack of a matching model number makes getting a price adjustment impossible. (And even if the model numbers did match, from what I've read Costco won't price match other retailers anyway.)
i believe cheap cat meant if the price drops in costco within the 90 day period...
Oct 15, 2007
852 posts
74 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote: Doesn't anyone else have a problem with this? Electronics will always get cheaper but you don't return something that you have been using because it is cheaper. Once you start using something, it is yours. Costco can't resell it as new so who pays for it? The cost gets passed on to other members. I don't have a problem asking for a price adjustment within the return period but returning something that is used but not defective, is not right. It is because of people abusing Costco's return policy that they have tightened up on it. If people keep it up, we'll be lucky to return anything at all.
I agree with you 100%. HOWEVER, on reading this board, it would appear that many more people abuse (sorry... take advantage of... ;) ) store return policies than I had realized. In other words, welcome to the real world.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2006
2069 posts
78 upvotes
I returned my 52" LCD tv to costco the other day. Because it was raining, the CSR started bitchin about how the box wasn't its original as it was wet and damaged. I argued with her for a bit and eventually she took back the tv.

It doesnt matter if tv price goes down and OP wants to return his. If he is doing it within the return period.....he has every right to. If the policy was 60 days or 1 week he would do it within that period. Abusing a policy is when people return stuff by damaging or altering them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2387 posts
347 upvotes
drunag wrote: i believe cheap cat meant if the price drops in costco within the 90 day period...
I realize that. But it's gone down everywhere else except Costco. If they would price match the other places, I'd be happy to keep the TV.

It would probably be cheaper for them in the long run. Like I said it's only $30 difference right now, so if I was really anal about it, I could return the TV and leave them with a used model. I'm sure they'd have to discount it way more than $30 to offload it as a used unit.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
GSRee wrote: I just received a response for their customer service department, and they've indicated that you DO need to be an active member for the extended warranty to be honoured.
I asked about whether the Costco warranty would be honored if I purchased a gift for a none Costco member and I was told that it would be honored as long as they had the invoice to show proof of purchase.