Tv shows opening theme songs/credits

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2019 4:54 am
[OP]
Oct 24, 2018
271 posts
257 upvotes

Tv shows opening theme songs/credits

Yes, it seems we are in a golden age of tv shows. North American production companies were forced years ago to drop their policy of single episode contained plots in favor of continuing plot lines through the run a of tv series like the rest of the world had produced, resulting in some great television for the consumers. There was an interesting interview with show runners from the old Star Trek DS9 about this, and how they got in trouble from Paramount because Paramount only wanted shows where a viewer could watch any single episode of a program and have it make total sense without having to watch any of the episodes before it.

Anyway, along with great content, some programs seem to put fantastic effort into their show's opening theme, songs, video sequences. Are there any that stand out to you? Any you watch before every episode instead of FF through them to get to the content of a show?

One that springs to mind for me in recent years is Black Sails. The original song is fantastic, the song writer even made the hurdy gurdy instrument from scratch that he plays during the opening credits, and the artwork during the sequence is something else. I watched it every time before each episode without fail. This is a taste of it for those who haven't seen it:

Another I watched each time without fail is an oldie but an absolute classic, the writer of the show also did the theme song, and he had to sing it too as the band they hired to record it didn't show up to the studio the day it had to be recorded! The show also had a closing credits theme that was different to the opening theme...may I present Only Fools and Horses:

Yes, there are some really poor efforts too, but we'll leave those for a different thread shall we?
17 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11635 posts
1838 upvotes
Mississauga
You can't have a thread like this without mentioning Game of Thrones. It is the only show to have ever won the Best Main Opening Title Emmy twice.

And it's not my favourite Trek series, but Voyager has the best opening credits of any of them.

Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3947 posts
1051 upvotes
Toronto
The Wire for sure was a highlight for me, especially since they used totally different cover versions of the same song for each season.

I like the visuals of American Gods

In the same way, the Daredevil and Westworld ones stand out as being mesmerizing to me too.

Dexter, while it went downhill as a show, was always a fun intro because it was a good juxtaposition of a fun song, with really striking visuals that played on the serial killing vs everyday morning routine.

Silicon Valley's is short, but it's fun to spot the minor differences and companies that they add to the mix

In terms of older shows, Fresh Prince is rewatchable, and I challenge you not to sing the song in your head or at least bob your head
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2889 posts
1070 upvotes
All of the above are great.

But my all time favorite is Magnum PI opening theme (the original series, not the reboot).

I guess I'm older than you. :)

Also, you should start a thread about the WORST intros or theme songs.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3947 posts
1051 upvotes
Toronto
motomondo wrote: All of the above are great.

But my all time favorite is Magnum PI opening theme (the original series, not the reboot).

I guess I'm older than you. :)

Also, you should start a thread about the WORST intros or theme songs.
I mean, you could go on and on with 80s shows too... A-Team, Knight Rider, Perfect Strangers, Family Matters, Air Wolf, etc... and let's not even get into the rabbit hole that is cartoon intros!
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2227 posts
567 upvotes
Ontario
The 80s ruled TV themes!!!!

Favourite recent ones: GOT, Black sails and the affair.

The Vikings theme was used in a breaking bad episode before the series aired.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9129 posts
1808 upvotes
Winnipeg
check out murdoch's mystery. Listen to the intro. Then listen to the intro of Bon Jovi Its my life around 29 sec mark

starting at the 8 sec say.

Don't those sound the same?
Dec 29, 2012
860 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
Original Law & Order theme (the longer version used for the first 3 seasons)
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11635 posts
1838 upvotes
Mississauga
I noticed that the Jason Momoa series Frontier has a very similar opening credits style in both music and visuals to Black Sails:

[OP]
Oct 24, 2018
271 posts
257 upvotes
Just in case anyone might not have seen it:

Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12004 posts
1636 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Doctor Who Theme is timeless.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7649 posts
2253 upvotes
All in the Family not making the cut?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4552 posts
1835 upvotes
Global Village
The Mindhunter opening gets my vote because of the music. I usually skip the opening credits of shows on netflix but not on this 1.

All day I dream about sports