• Jul 19th, 2020 4:30 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 5, 2018
348 posts
153 upvotes

Which TV Stick to buy?

Hi all,

I have little knowledge about these TV Stick, only know the name of Amazon Fire TV Stick.
My TV is an Sony (not Adndroid) 48'', we usually play youtube and Netflix with the builtin app. But recenlty, it seems Youtube has changed their stream app, so it becomes unusable on my TV.
When starting, youtube displays some ads then the video play a while, then new ads in the middle and after the ads, it becomes frozen, cannot continue the video.

So I think to buy an external HDMI TV stick to use with this TV. Please recommend a good quality TV Stick not very expensive and easy to use (for my wife). Don't need fancy, complicated stuffs, only Youtube and Netflix.
By the way, the TV model is KDL-48R550C. Look like Sony TVs now are not as good as other brand like Samsung. In my family, there are several using Samsung since years without problem.

Thank you in advance
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4214 posts
1936 upvotes
Depends on how much you want to do, fire stick allows you to do more stuff and comes with a remote. I love my 4 Chromecasts, it’s pretty dummy proof that even my in-laws can use it. Most people are always around their phone anyhow and you just use it to control what you’re watching.

My wife loves it so much that she said the chromecast is the best tech device in the house.
May 27, 2012
353 posts
165 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
firestick lets u install some basic games and you can also play nintendo 64/old gaming system games...
it lets u hook up bluetooth controllers, bluetooth headphones

roku stick is very locked down.. its streaming apps only

if you search for and watch youtube videos on firestick 4k hacks.. ull see what it can do.

i bought the regular firestick and it was bti slow... exchanged it for 4k and big difference in speed. i also got wyzecam so i just say ... alexa show me front door or alexa show me daughters room and it shows it on my tv
May 27, 2012
353 posts
165 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
if u want locked down.. no options.. go with roku stick
if u want to tinker with stuff...firestick 4k
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1942 posts
210 upvotes
Ottawa
We have several Chromecast in our home and they're great, you can cast from a lot of apps from your phone, but I recently got my parents some firesticks and the remote and on screen app selection is hands down better, they even have apps to legally stream live tv on top of prime, Netflix, Disney, crave, etc
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17487 posts
12209 upvotes
Markham
Chromcast - need your phone/tablet/PC to find content and then "cast" it to the chromecast. Works well but you need your other device.

Firestick - get 4K version, not the basic. You can install apps like Youtube, Netflix etc. When your watching stuff it's fine but it's not as easy navigating/searching (no keyboard - although there are ppl who install one) if you want to/need to do that. Navigating Youtube is not that fun if there are multiple ppl as you have to login to each persons account when they want to access their subscribed lists/library.

Roku - I don't have one and can't comment on it.

Recommend you google vids on the differences. Chromecast/Firestick are pretty inexpensive IMO so you won't go really wrong with either.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 28, 2010
661 posts
170 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
I bought a firestick 4k during the Prime day last year for under 30 bucks ....its an amazing small piece of hardware.
Running youTube, Netflix, PrimeVideo and IPTV on it among other things ...
It also offers screen casting and has parental controls too .... best bang for buck for me since I got it for dirt cheap
[OP]
Mar 5, 2018
348 posts
153 upvotes
Thank you all. Just get a Fire TV 4k, it seems work very well on the TV. The 4K version is almost no stock in Montreal. I have to go to a farther Staples for pickup as the online order may take 1-2 weeks now.
Wife is happy now.

Very appreciate all your helps.

Tom
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10765 posts
2610 upvotes
Victoria
I love my firestick 4k. It has most the apps you would want, plus you can sideload apps like Kodi.

I only have a 1080p setup, but paid a few extra bucks for the 4k version because people said it was smoother and snappier. If you can find one on sale I think it's a great buy.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2196 posts
1503 upvotes
GTA
Firestick is pretty good. Been using it for a while now and no issues.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1928 posts
2193 upvotes
Just to add to the thread, I just bought a firestick 4k. Use it with Kodi and Pluto TV to watch the news channels. Everything works fine but have to use a vpn.

Been using windscribe free vpn for testing, it works but it has a bandwidth limit. So, looking to purchase a vpn subscription.

Thinking of surfshark as it's one of the cheaper ones.

Any comments on surfshark or should I look at some of the others?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)