Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 7, 2008
881 posts
310 upvotes
Okanagan

tv vs projector

we all know that tv's are getting very low in price so are the projectors.
Isn't better to look for a good hd projector instead of tv?
Any pros/cons? Anyone has an experience with these and would like to share?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4826 posts
71 upvotes
Local
Only get a projector if u can have a dedicated home theatre room in your house. Like in a basement where you can make it really dark even if it's sunny outside. U don't want a projector in the living room when all the sun is out. TV's u can leave on and be careless. Projectors not as much.
Dec 20, 2007
5 posts
1 upvote
Saskatchewan
also keep in mind that projectors have a lamp life, and these lamps can be upwards of $500
Mar 6, 2006
151 posts
3 upvotes
I have a projector in my room, It takes very little space and I can watch movies on 100" screen. I watch primarily at night, so light is not a factor, but even in the day it is watchable (blinds closed) although not as good as regular screen. Bulb life isn't really as much a factor 3 hrs a day will still last you 5-7 years.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1354 posts
126 upvotes
Markham
Plus you need source for sound. It will be an extra $. Agree that if you are not watching that much, the lamp is now not a big factor. And with the projector lumens is much higher now, even though a bright room is OK. But a good 1080P projector is still expensive.
torontodragon
All opinions expressed by me are mine and may not agree with my employer or any person, company, or thing, living or dead, on or near this or any other planet, moon, asteroid, or other spatial object, natural or manufactured
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5513 posts
279 upvotes
Mississauga
Depending on how you use a projector, the lamp life shouldn't be an issue. You also want to maintain a projector properly too (cleaning/replacing air filters, cleaning the inside where dust gets in, etc.). Noise is also a factor to consider as well.

Consumer-grade doesn't it cut it for me after working with prosumer and pro grade projectors. Such a difference :razz:
Dec 27, 2006
723 posts
63 upvotes
Projectors are the choice if space isn't an issue. There are easy to use, set up and have screen size options
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
3167 posts
462 upvotes
Don't be nosey
Im looking for a good projector that DOES NOT have to be 1080P but it has to be above $1k.
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4369 posts
102 upvotes
RunOrDie wrote: Im looking for a good projector that DOES NOT have to be 1080P but it has to be above $1k.

Epson 8350. Amazing reviews by end users. 1080p. Bright, beautiful colours, excellent ambient light performance, not much more than $1k.
Yes I do have heatware. Look over here! Yes, here! Heatware: fitbrit
Dec 17, 2008
148 posts
22 upvotes
I'm assuming that you have a home theatre already set up. Otherwise NEEDING to spend $1000 on a projector seems kinda pointless for your first one. You'll get a much better experience buying a good 720p projector, getting a HDMI multichannel receiver, and investing in at least a good 5.1 speaker system. $500-$700 on the projector, $400-$600 on a receiver, $150-$250 on a blu ray player, $500-$1000 on a few new or multiple used speakers, and $50-$100 on cables, connectors, and wires. That tops you out around $2000-$2500 for a true home theatre experience. You can spend less if you get used components, or spend lots more if you have money to burn. Keep an eye on the forums for good deals and you're all set.