Shopping Discussion

Two Different Brandname of the Same Blanket, $5 Cheaper

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2019 8:58 pm

Poll: Two Brand of the Same Blanket and $5 Cheaper

• Total votes: 21. You have voted on this poll.
Kate Spades Blanket with Logo on garment tag $20

33%
Barbara Barry Blanket with Logo on garment tag $15

5%
Unbranded, No Logo on garment tag $13

62%
[OP]
Mar 6, 2005
517 posts
161 upvotes

Two Different Brandname of the Same Blanket, $5 Cheaper

Not a very serious poll, but I am just curious and want to know what everyone thinks.

Which one will you buy?
All seems to be manufactured with the same fabric and came from the same factory.

Kate Spades New York
The company sold mainly handbags at first, but soon extended to clothing, jewelry, shoes, stationery, eyewear, baby items, fragrances, tabletop, bedding, and gifts. The handbags Spade designed and produced quickly found popularity, owing to their sophistication and affordability, and have been described as a symbol of New York City in the 1990s. In 2004, "Kate Spade at home" was launched as a home collection brand. It featured bedding, bath items, china, wallpaper and various items for the home.

Barbara Barry
Barbara was raised in a family of artists. She is an active plein-air painter that takes her inspiration in the subtle colors and forms in nature. Barbara founded her Los Angeles design firm in 1985. Her practice has grown to international renown and her interiors and product design are celebrated through partnerships that include furniture, lighting, textiles, bedding, carpets, crystal, plumbing and tile. More recently, with thirty plus years in the business, Barbara Barry has taken on private consulting for businesses looking to elevate their brand aesthetic and partnerships.

ks.jpg
bb.jpg
bk.jpg
Last edited by DNAv5 on Feb 25th, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15194 posts
12349 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Sorry ...
Dumb Question for RFD
Is not the obvious answer self evident

I am more interested in knowing how you know

1- They are all EXACTLY IDENTICAL
2- Produced in the same factory / facility
3- And Beyond photos, have you actually seen all 3 inperson, to attest they are ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL

Or is this a case of just a cut & paste post sourced from some other website / source
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4677 posts
4187 upvotes
Shouldn't the third one be branded "Kirkland Signature"? :-)

We have the first two (in different colours and sizes), and comparing the tags on the actual blankets, both say "Imported by Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
Reminder #1: Kraρrig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Reminder #2: The burger chain with the Big Mac is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Get it right.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13683 posts
8692 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
This is like amazon 3rd party sellers. Different branding but same product.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
11976 posts
137872 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

You're paying for the name, nothing else...

Ju Leon...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
Price > Name

I'm cheap and don't care what other people think.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20711 posts
4843 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Brand name. Gotta impress the visitors.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: Brand name.
I mean... I know nothing about brands but I didn't realize that Kate Spade was something to be "proud" of.

Not that I think any brand is anything to be proud of, but that's a different argument.

Side note: If I was a visitor and knew you paid $7 more for what's (let's assume is) the same blanket, I'm going to probably laugh at you behind your back. Or maybe to your face because that's just who I am.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2014
5226 posts
2212 upvotes
I'll take the Kate Spade. Who the hell is Barbara Berry. It's as good as unbranded to me.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4677 posts
4187 upvotes
Depends. If I was buying it as a gift for my mother, Kate Spade hands down (since she wouldn't know Barbara Berry, and the generic just "looks cheap" if gifted).

If it was for my own use, lowest price wins assuming all else is equal.
Reminder #1: Kraρrig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Reminder #2: The burger chain with the Big Mac is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Get it right.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5358 posts
2146 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Depends. If I was buying it as a gift for my mother, Kate Spade hands down (since she wouldn't know Barbara Berry, and the generic just "looks cheap" if gifted).

If it was for my own use, lowest price wins assuming all else is equal.
Same, after all once you take the packaging off, you can't see the brand anymore anyway, can you? It's basically whether you are willing to pay extra for something nicely wrapped.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3356 posts
960 upvotes
Edmonton
Never heard of Katie spade, or Barbara something.

I would buy whatever looked good if I needed. But a blanket, don't need one, wouldn't get any.

On another note, if some cheap brand one looked really good (good colour or something) and some other expensive brand (is Katie normally expensive?) Looked bland, I would get the cheap brand one even if they cost the same
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8