Home & Garden

Two freezers in one outlet?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2020 1:33 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Aug 21, 2012
324 posts
208 upvotes

Two freezers in one outlet?

Hi all, newbie here needing help before proceeding with a purchase. Wanted to buy a 2nd freezer for my parents but need your input.

I wanted to buy this Danby upright freezer here, which is energy star certified:

https://www.danby.com/products/freezers/dufm085a2wp1/

Was going to put this in the basement storage room in the same 15amp wall outlet as another chest freezer. Not sure on the specs aa its an old freezer from the 2000's but I attached a pic of it below:

In this same room, there's also a washer and dryer if that's any help.

Would it be okay to plug both freezers in the same outlet? Would it affect the circuit at all? Will there be a power outage at all? Thanks for your time!
Images
  • 20201219_001024.jpg
14 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
19650 posts
7200 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I have no idea the peak usage of either device, if your local library has a kill a watt energy meter you can grab it and test both devices. Bear in mind that their use is not constant so you need to watch it for an entire compressor running cycle.
This assumes the library is open these days and even carries an energy meter (many in Ontario do).
Conversely the placard on the back may have peak amperage use. Or you can try contacting the company though for the old unit who knows if they have that info on file.

All that said i suspect you will be fine but i cannot guarantee it.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
19650 posts
7200 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Why not get a larger freezer and just use one freezer?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Sr. Member
Jun 10, 2003
705 posts
117 upvotes
Halifax
Pop the access panel off of the freezer and read the Amp rating on the compressor, that would be its max current on start up. New compressors have very low starting currents, my chest freezer is about 3.5A. Modern circuit breakers also dont trip the moment you go over their rating. if both happened to come on at the same time the current spike wouldnt be high enough or long enough to trip with two moden freezers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5220 posts
637 upvotes
What that guy said. Find out the amperage. You can call the manufacturer. Sometimes they have it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9943 posts
5234 upvotes
Paris
instanoodles wrote: Pop the access panel off of the freezer and read the Amp rating on the compressor, that would be its max current on start up. New compressors have very low starting currents, my chest freezer is about 3.5A. Modern circuit breakers also dont trip the moment you go over their rating. if both happened to come on at the same time the current spike wouldnt be high enough or long enough to trip with two moden freezers.
Conversely, my super old but still runs beer fridge my parents bought in 1989 side by side Maytag start up amperage is 17.5 for a split second.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4570 posts
4626 upvotes
Vancouver
Check the label on the back of the fridge to see the peak power consumption, and made sure the total of both doesn't exceed 15 amps (about 1700 watts) for a normal socket. That's unlikely.

The concern would be that the startup power surge of the motor draws a lot more for a fraction of a second, and if the two happened to start exactly simultaneously, it could trip the breaker. Let's say the compressor starts every 15 minutes in hot weather, and the surge lasts about 1/2 sec., the chances of a random simultaneous start (1 in 15 x 60 x 2) would come out to more than once a month.

The startup current draw probably isn't on the outside label, although probably is on the compressor motor itself. The easier way to tell would be to use a power meter, like the Kill-a-watt you can borrow from public libraries in Ontario. But they only cost about $20 to buy (try Amazon), and they're very handy to have around the house. All of them can measure peak amps on a device that's plugged into them.
Sr. Member
Jun 10, 2003
705 posts
117 upvotes
Halifax
Jerico wrote: Conversely, my super old but still runs beer fridge my parents bought in 1989 side by side Maytag start up amperage is 17.5 for a split second.
Holy crap thats crazy, my 2 chest freezers and fridge dont add up to that.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
3684 posts
2642 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
instanoodles wrote: Holy crap thats crazy, my 2 chest freezers and fridge dont add up to that.
One of the reasons Code said fridges needed a dedicated 15A circuit.

OP, it's hard to tell if this will be a problem or not. That old Woods freezer probably has a fairly significant start up draw. New fridges and freezers are more efficient running, and more efficient at start up.
They may be fine on a single 15A circuit. However, if there are any other loads on that circuit (washing machine, vacuum cleaner, etc) it may cause the breaker to trip.

You could run a heavy duty appliance extension cord to the washing machine receptacle and plug the new freezer in there, since they are typically on their own dedicated 15A circuit as well. You may end with the same problem, but at least you'll know sooner rather than later that the breaker has tripped. It could be several days before you realise both freezers aren't running the other way.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
2142 posts
373 upvotes
Canada
I’ve got a small freezer and small beer fridge on the same circuit and both can operate simultaneously without issues. But like others have mentioned, you’ll need to determine if amperage requirements for your specific freezers exceed 15A.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9943 posts
5234 upvotes
Paris
instanoodles wrote: Holy crap thats crazy, my 2 chest freezers and fridge dont add up to that.
My brother is a P.Eng and had it for a while. He tested it when they were having circuit problems with a dedicated 15 amp line. I have had it for about 5 years now and have not had an issue. Its run off the basement lights which are all LED and never on though.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4727 posts
1693 upvotes
RockAndReligion wrote: Hi all, newbie here needing help before proceeding with a purchase. Wanted to buy a 2nd freezer for my parents but need your input.

I wanted to buy this Danby upright freezer here, which is energy star certified:

https://www.danby.com/products/freezers/dufm085a2wp1/

Was going to put this in the basement storage room in the same 15amp wall outlet as another chest freezer. Not sure on the specs aa its an old freezer from the 2000's but I attached a pic of it below:

In this same room, there's also a washer and dryer if that's any help.

Would it be okay to plug both freezers in the same outlet? Would it affect the circuit at all? Will there be a power outage at all? Thanks for your time!
If you are concerned .. then plug them into two different receptacles.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12214 posts
6753 upvotes
Brampton
jdmfishingonly wrote: If you are concerned .. then plug them into two different receptacles.
Those receptacles need to be on separate circuits. Otherwise it solves nothing.

Old compressors have huge inrush current on start up.

Don't forget some freezers have self defrost which can also cause a problem.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
20211 posts
8291 upvotes
Toronto
Small chest freezers are very energy efficient and so the motor is tiny and should not be a huge load on a circuit. Fridges are much bigger loads. The only chance I see of a challenge to the circuit breaker is if both fridge and freezer motors were to start up at exactly the same time and with maybe other loads on the same 15 amp circuit.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii

Top