Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
2724 posts
1392 upvotes
Surrey

Two numbers on one Smartphone?

I have personal phone number for years and would like to keep it. Recently I received iphone with new number from work as well. I don't want to carry two phones.
I asked at work if I can transfer number to work corporate plan according to them, I can but won't able to transfer back due work policies and contracts.
Is It possible to have or plan exists where I can forward my calls and messages to work number for low cost so I don't have to carry two phones?
I checked the dual sim phones but I can't use them due to work policy.

Thanks
10 replies
Dec 11, 2013
368 posts
271 upvotes
Victoria
Forwarding works for calls. Not sure about SMS forwarding.

Or install Fongo VoIP app on the phone and port your personal number to your Fongo account. Works for both calling and SMS if you pay for their service.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
22156 posts
26028 upvotes
Toronto
or pickup a tiny second phone

"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4466 posts
700 upvotes
Fongo is probably your best bet.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4963 posts
1494 upvotes
0 downvotes
There are companies out there that offer a virtual phone number for something like $4 a month, and forward the number to your cell phone. I believe comwave offers such service but not sure of the price. no need for apps like FoneGo or any sip or apps that use data. your friends/business clients simply call the virtual number and it forwards it directly to your cell. they call your cell phone number and it calls your cell directly, so in essense, your cell phone has 2 usable numbers to receive calls. now its just that, its for calls, you can not text this so called virtual number or call out from it, so if that is what you are looking for, its cheap, I remember it being something like $4 a month, maybe could be a little higher now or so but still worth it. its like works out to $60 a year, a small amount to pay for someone who has a business and needs a virtual number
Hi
Dec 11, 2017
165 posts
101 upvotes
Ottawa
paaji wrote: I have personal phone number for years and would like to keep it. Recently I received iphone with new number from work as well. I don't want to carry two phones.
I asked at work if I can transfer number to work corporate plan according to them, I can but won't able to transfer back due work policies and contracts.
Is It possible to have or plan exists where I can forward my calls and messages to work number for low cost so I don't have to carry two phones?

Thanks
Ask your provider about Simultaneous Ring. Every provider should have this option for their business account.
Aug 8, 2008
335 posts
98 upvotes
I had exactly same situation!

Installed Fongo, transferred my personal number to fongo, and forwarded in fongo the number to my work phone# (this is optional since you can answer your personal number using the fongo app on your work phone)
You cannot forward SMS but you can buy a fongo SMS plan. 90 days for $10 unlimited Canada SMS.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14478 posts
12400 upvotes
Going to the Moon
lexar123 wrote: I had exactly same situation!

Installed Fongo, transferred my personal number to fongo, and forwarded in fongo the number to my work phone# (this is optional since you can answer your personal number using the fongo app on your work phone)
You cannot forward SMS but you can buy a fongo SMS plan. 90 days for $10 unlimited Canada SMS.
Inbound sms on Fongo is also free, meaning if it's just to receive calls and SMS on personal number, then Fongo is free after porting fee.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Aug 8, 2008
335 posts
98 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Inbound sms on Fongo is also free, meaning if it's just to receive calls and SMS on personal number, then Fongo is free after porting fee.
I just looked it up.
"All incoming text messages are free. Add an unlimited text messaging (SMS) package nominal monthly fee to text non-Fongo phone numbers."
So only texting to other Fongo customers is free.

Either way if you want to answer SMS on your personal # then you would need to pay the SMS price. Actually I just looked it up and its $10 for 6 months of SMS in Canada or $15 for global SMS. Pretty cheap!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4961 posts
1841 upvotes
paaji wrote: I have personal phone number for years and would like to keep it. Recently I received iphone with new number from work as well. I don't want to carry two phones.

Thanks
The best option is to get a phone with TWO SIM Card Slots ... screw the work policy.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Dec 4, 2017
590 posts
262 upvotes
sprung wrote: or pickup a tiny second phone

+1. I have the predecessor, the POSH Micro X S240. These tiny things fit in a jeans 5th "watch" pocket very discreetly. They are also inexpensive.