• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2018 9:01 am
Oct 31, 2017
272 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto

Two Prong outlets - Rental

Hi,

I am wondering if two-prong outlets are up to code for a rental property in Toronto. I tried looking it up but I got caught up in all the terminology.

Thanks for your responses.
You miss shots you don't take.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6833 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
Electrical code does not require retroactively updating existing installations to comply with new requirements.

At some point in history, two-prong ungrounded plugs were in fact permitted and common.

Hence it is possible that a rental has two-prong plugs yet is a fully grandfathered code-compliant location.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
You may want to check with your insurance company as to their willingness to insure a rental property with ungrounded plugs. Not saying they’ll have an issue, but it would suck to find out after you’ve committed to purchasing a property that you can’t get insurance (and thus, a mortgage) without a significant repair job.

Tenants will also have to jump through hoops to get things working properly. For example, using “cheater” plugs that allow them to plug in a three prong plug from their $2000 tv, but offering no protection.

You could talk to an electrician about your options. It might be less expensive than you think to fix. For example, grounding some outlets in high use areas while leaving others alone.

C

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)