• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2019 3:41 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3528 posts
822 upvotes

Type of Fan for PC Air Intake to push through HDD cage

I understand there are different types of fans for PC cases, some focuses on static pressure while others for maximum airflow. Already running 1 intake in the front and 1 for exhaust in the rear. Saw the ever popular Youtube video where it was shown that 3 case fans does not make a significant to temps over 2. But, given that I want to drop temps a bit more due to a newer, larger GPU installed, I want to add 1 more intake in front of the HDD cage. Running a fractal design GP-14 at the moment. It's spec'ed at "Optimized fan geometry for a good balance between static pressure and maximum airflow, resulting in good performance in all usage scenarios". I was going to add the same one but was wondering if I should get something that could push more air through the HDD cage.

Maybe it won't even make a big difference. When not gaming, the GPU fan rarely comes on as idle and working temps do not go above 50C (which is when ASUS has set the fan to spin).

Any advice?
2 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23375 posts
9003 upvotes
Google published a study a while back stating that heat has no real correlation to drives dying as long as they're operated within spec.

If you're cooling other things, it might matter but it sounds like you have enough airflow already.
May 26, 2011
31 posts
17 upvotes
VANCOUVER
High airflow fans simply push as much air as possible, while static pressure fans are specifically designed to tackle installations with heightened impedance and resistance. Radiators and case meshes are becoming more common in PC builds, which is where static pressure fans have been marketed towards.Aug 2, 2018
So if there is a case mesh against the fan or other stuff blocking it on either side get a static one. I think the static pressure will be better at directing the air to your GPU whereas the regular one might blow more air sideways.