Computers & Electronics

Type of wire for bell fibe internet.

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2021 7:03 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 12, 2008
143 posts
37 upvotes

Type of wire for bell fibe internet.

Hi all,

Does anyone know what type of cable bell uses for their modems? It's thinner than your standard ethernet cable. I want to buy a longer cable because I want to move the modem to another location but the current wire isn't long enough. Any links you can post would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
25 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2715 posts
1443 upvotes
London
Haji_Kun wrote: Hi all,

Does anyone know what type of cable bell uses for their modems? It's thinner than your standard ethernet cable. I want to buy a longer cable because I want to move the modem to another location but the current wire isn't long enough. Any links you can post would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
are u talking about the cable the plugs into the modem for internet or the cable the goes from the modem to the router/computer. the cable that goes to the router/computer can be replaced with any standard Ethernet cable.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 12, 2008
143 posts
37 upvotes
It doesn't have the same head as an Ethernet cable. The end if the wire is like a little white knob. Resembles a headphone jack but much shorter.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 12, 2008
143 posts
37 upvotes
The cable that plugs into the modem for internet.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2504 posts
1443 upvotes
SW ON
It's a telephone cable. It has only two wires and the connector is RJ11.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4762 posts
4606 upvotes
Toronto
Haji_Kun wrote: Hi all,

Does anyone know what type of cable bell uses for their modems? It's thinner than your standard ethernet cable. I want to buy a longer cable because I want to move the modem to another location but the current wire isn't long enough. Any links you can post would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
What speed package do you have?
Which modem? Home Hub 2000 or 3000?

If you have Bell Fibe FTTN (Plain Old Telephone System), modem needs to close to the wall jack.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 12, 2008
143 posts
37 upvotes
alpovs wrote: It's a telephone cable. It has only two wires and the connector is RJ11.
I don't think it is. I google rj11 and the end looks like an Ethernet cable right? As I said, the end of the cable I need looks like a little white knob.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 12, 2008
143 posts
37 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: What speed package do you have?
Which modem? Home Hub 2000 or 3000?

If you have Bell Fibe FTTN (Plain Old Telephone System), modem needs to close to the wall jack.
The box says it's the 4000. I have Ftth.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4762 posts
4606 upvotes
Toronto
Haji_Kun wrote: The box says it's the 4000. I have Ftth.
Bell technician will have to relocate your modem since you have fibre optic Internet.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2504 posts
1443 upvotes
SW ON
Haji_Kun wrote: I don't think it is. I google rj11 and the end looks like an Ethernet cable right? As I said, the end of the cable I need looks like a little white knob.
Sorry I missed that.
Haji_Kun wrote: The box says it's the 4000. I have Ftth.
And you confused everybody. In your title you wrote you had Fibe, then you wrote you had FTTH. Fibe goes through telephone wires. FTTH, the real fiber is optical. I think you'd better contact Bell. I am not sure if you can extend optical cables without some kind of transducers.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4762 posts
4606 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: And you confused everybody. In your title you wrote you had Fibe, then you wrote you had FTTH. Fibe goes through telephone wires. FTTH, the real fiber is optical. I think you'd better contact Bell. I am not sure if you can extend optical cables without some kind of transducers.
Bell Fibe branding is confusing

Class-action suit claims Bell Fibe service misleads customers
Advertising claimed network is "made up of 100 per cent fibre optic connected directly to each home," which lead plaintiff says isn't true.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... s-customer
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2504 posts
1443 upvotes
SW ON
Dhanushan wrote: Bell Fibe branding is confusing

Class-action suit claims Bell Fibe service misleads customers
Advertising claimed network is "made up of 100 per cent fibre optic connected directly to each home," which lead plaintiff says isn't true.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... s-customer
Yes, except the OP was mislead in the opposite direction here.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 12, 2008
143 posts
37 upvotes
I see. Sorry for confusing everyone. I'm new to this whole fibre internet service. Thanks for everyone's help!
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4762 posts
4606 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: Yes, except the OP was mislead in the opposite direction here.
@Haji_Kun should have also mentioned which Bell modem they have.

from https://www.reddit.com/r/bell/comments/ ... _may_17th/

"Home hub 4000 rollout starts tomorrow everywhere on all new installs with bell ftth(fibre only) installs. Home hub 4000 is a fibre only modem so pair bond or dsl services are not available to this modem. Up until now bell was trialing this modem in certain areas."
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4762 posts
4606 upvotes
Toronto
Haji_Kun wrote: I see. Sorry for confusing everyone. I'm new to this whole fibre internet service. Thanks for everyone's help!

Did the Bell Technician who installed/setup the modem install a fibre jack/outlet near the modem or was it already there?

xrpcpw1hizi41.jpg

My fibre cable comes directly from outside my home and connects to the modem in my basement. It is very long if I need to route it to another room.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 12, 2008
143 posts
37 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Did the Bell Technician who installed/setup the modem install a fibre jack/outlet near the modem or was it already there?




xrpcpw1hizi41.jpg


My fibre cable comes directly from outside my home and connects to the modem in my basement. It is very long if I need to route it to another room.
The technician installed that outlet in my home. He then connected the cable from that outlet to my modem. Can I move my modem without calling bell?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4762 posts
4606 upvotes
Toronto
Haji_Kun wrote: The technician installed that outlet in my home. He then connected the cable from that outlet to my modem. Can I move my modem without calling bell?
No, you do not need to call Bell.

You need to call them if you want to relocate the wall outlet to another room.

Just be careful unplugging the fibre cable from the modem and wall outlet.

Top