• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2021 8:43 pm
[OP]
Dec 22, 2004
568 posts
702 upvotes
Toronto

Types of cabling to install in a new house

Helping a friend with her new home and she is at the stage of cabling. My thought was to go for all Ethernet, no coax or telephone. I think we are past the point of using Coax as the new rogers ignite does not use that anymore. Since she gets a certain amount of included drops, I don’t want to see her waste it on something that she will never use. She is hesitant because she has always had at least coax. just wanted to know what everyone thinks?
51 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
why bother with ethernet when there is wifi?
why use coaxial?

the way to go is no coaxial, no ethernet, no phone lines
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1518 posts
510 upvotes
Definitely ethernet as wifi is not something to depend on. Coax, seems to be on it's way out, but still has it's uses for a bit.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2004
568 posts
702 upvotes
Toronto
Hood_Rep wrote: why bother with ethernet when there is wifi?
why use coaxial?

Ethernet is much better than wifi. Faster and more stable. I rather hook up my ps5 and other streaming devices to Ethernet. Ethernet cable is also really useful for security cameras. I guess my question is if not installing coax or phone is a mistake. My current condo still has both and it is brand new. I just sold another condo which was a year old and also have both.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
1904 posts
2252 upvotes
I don’t think you need a phone line anymore, but Ethernet is a must and coaxial is a nice to have for resale value (as long as there are compatible service providers in the area).
[OP]
Dec 22, 2004
568 posts
702 upvotes
Toronto
I didn’t even think about resale. You think that having coax would make the house more attractive? Any suggestions on how to run the cables? Terminate in the basement into a patch panel then to switch? My friend isn’t that tech savvy so it should be manageable.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
3498 posts
1390 upvotes
Toronto
Ethernet to each bedroom, the family room and any other areas. wifi is trash.
If you're doing Coaxial do a run from a south facing wall for an OTA HD antenna. Otherwise I'd say don't bother as all bell and rogers boxes are basically TV over internet now anyways.
Sep 10, 2010
397 posts
100 upvotes
St Catharines
Conduit runs leave you future proofed.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3341 posts
2132 upvotes
Toronto
Hood_Rep wrote: why bother with ethernet when there is wifi?
why use coaxial?

You have no idea how large/small this place is or the potential uses they may want/need. For most cases/people wifi is fine, but that's not to say having options is bad.

OP - if they have drops included, try to get one to each room. If there's only a select number of drops try to get one where the modem is most likely to go, any office areas, and any entertainment areas, plus one at the furthest point from the modem location.

This will allow your friend to a) setup the wifi where they need it most, b) hardwire any critical hardware (i.e. laptop/desktop for video calls) c) setup a mesh wifi if the place is big enough to need it.

As an enthusiast, if i were building it I would put in conduit to make future wiring easy, but that is a very niche case.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2004
568 posts
702 upvotes
Toronto
AstonM wrote: You have no idea how large/small this place is or the potential uses they may want/need. For most cases/people wifi is fine, but that's not to say having options is bad.

OP - if they have drops included, try to get one to each room. If there's only a select number of drops try to get one where the modem is most likely to go, any office areas, and any entertainment areas, plus one at the furthest point from the modem location.

This will allow your friend to a) setup the wifi where they need it most, b) hardwire any critical hardware (i.e. laptop/desktop for video calls) c) setup a mesh wifi if the place is big enough to need it.

As an enthusiast, if i were building it I would put in conduit to make future wiring easy, but that is a very niche case.
Thanks, this is helpful. What I was thinking was Ethernet in all bedrooms and great room all terminating into a patch panel in a closet down in the basement. The modem/security/NAS will go in the same closet so everything will be out of sight. Then for wifi, instead of mesh, I was thinking of putting in a couple of additional drops for access points around the house.

Your suggestion of conduit is interesting. I take it that you mean run the Ethernet in conduit so that in the future if there is a better wire, you can just fish it through the conduit? I was thinking of upgrading my friend to cat6, so that should be good for the medium term. Not sure how long she will stay in the house.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3341 posts
2132 upvotes
Toronto
my_sir wrote: Thanks, this is helpful. What I was thinking was Ethernet in all bedrooms and great room all terminating into a patch panel in a closet down in the basement. The modem/security/NAS will go in the same closet so everything will be out of sight. Then for wifi, instead of mesh, I was thinking of putting in a couple of additional drops for access points around the house.

Your suggestion of conduit is interesting. I take it that you mean run the Ethernet in conduit so that in the future if there is a better wire, you can just fish it through the conduit? I was thinking of upgrading my friend to cat6, so that should be good for the medium term. Not sure how long she will stay in the house.
Correct on conduit. Cat6 at a minimum. Cat6a if willing to spend a few $ more for more "future proof". No need for Cat8 for 99.99% of households at this point.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
AstonM wrote: You have no idea how large/small this place is or the potential uses they may want/need. For most cases/people wifi is fine, but that's not to say having options is bad.

OP didn't specify he has specific needs. You neither "have no idea how large/small this place is or the potential uses they may want/need.'

An average user doesn't need all that. It's over kill. WiFi is fine for average people. It's not worth wiring a house with CAT when most people won't hardwire their devices. It's old fashioned (read 90's) way of thinking that CAT is needed in rooms. Unless they want a CAT to plug in their Pentium PC...

But for someone with specific needs, like someone who wants to run a bitcoin mine in their house, well, then it's a different story. Other people WiFi is fine. Save your money.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
AstonM wrote: Correct on conduit. Cat6 at a minimum. Cat6a if willing to spend a few $ more for more "future proof". No need for Cat8 for 99.99% of households at this point.
CAT8??? Why???

Present is wireless. Why do you think people in future would want to use CAT??? It's ancient technology ...

Unless you sell the house to some boomer who wants to plug in his old desktop, no one will need CAT in a house, neither now nor in the future. In future, even WiFi is unnecessary. Your wireless signal will be sufficient to run all your rich media needs. It's already available in many countries ...
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
my_sir wrote: Thanks, this is helpful. What I was thinking was Ethernet in all bedrooms and great room all terminating into a patch panel in a closet down in the basement. The modem/security/NAS will go in the same closet so everything will be out of sight. Then for wifi, instead of mesh, I was thinking of putting in a couple of additional drops for access points around the house.

CONDUIT for CAT???? You can't be serious!!!
Why would you want to invest so much money, material and effort in installing something that is useless for 99.9% of the population???
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
my_sir wrote: Ethernet is much better than wifi. Faster and more stable. I rather hook up my ps5 and other streaming devices to Ethernet. Ethernet cable is also really useful for security cameras. I guess my question is if not installing coax or phone is a mistake. My current condo still has both and it is brand new. I just sold another condo which was a year old and also have both.
Condo builders are using building codes from ancient times. Plus installing useless junk in condos creates jobs that you pay for.
Just because builder installed doesn't mean it's a necessity. You had no option.
If you had a choice, why would you install coax and ethernet in a condo? Most people don't need that. wifi and (soon 5G+) is sufficient for most average folks. So wasteful ...
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2498 posts
523 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Wifi is no good when parents working at home and kids having online classes at time. Your boss won't see your camera on during Zoom meetings most of times
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
ma678 wrote: Wifi is no good when parents working at home and kids having online classes at time. Your boss won't see your camera on during Zoom meetings most of times
Ontario kids are going to be back in classrooms in Sept, and some places they are already back in IRL learning.

It's very short-sighted to invest in all this unnecessary equipment and installation over a temporary pandemic that over the life of a house is meaningless.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4795 posts
238 upvotes
Austin/Markham
I've never used the coax or phone lines in my house. Only cat6. Put ethernet drops EVERYWHERE. Not just in every room but also outside the house for PoE cameras or floodlights. They're great for being able to push low level voltage everywhere, even the attic.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1060 posts
836 upvotes
in the past I paid the builder to put a conduit from the basement to the attic to "future proof". This will allow me to run whatever cable is the latest and greatest when the time comes.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2316 posts
1383 upvotes
GTA
Wired is ALWAYS going to be better than wireless. I should've done the conduit with my renos as well, but I wired up the house with cat6a anyways. Still use WIFI for mobile devices/tablets, but for real work and video calls all day long, wired is always going to be most stable.