• May 25th, 2021 2:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 25, 2021
19 posts
2 upvotes

Tyvek House wrap need to be taped?

Hi there,

As far as I know, Dupont Tyvek house wrap has to be taped at the seams.

The house wrap is overlapped and they plan on installing the vinyl siding without taping anything.

Met with our builder and asked this question and they responded that they don't tape Tyvek at any seams. I am located in Alberta, maybe there is something I don't know about and I am wrong.

I searched the internet and found, yes tape the seams and no don't tape them.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
6 replies
Mar 24, 2009
137 posts
131 upvotes
KW
Why do the joints need to be taped when using Tyvek?

What does Tyvek actually do?

Most builders don’t get it either….
[OP]
Apr 25, 2021
19 posts
2 upvotes
Keep water out and let water vapor escape. Wouldn't the seams need to be taped?

DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® is the original house wrap, incorporating unique material science that helps keep air and water out, while letting water vapor escape. As a result, it can contribute to improved building durability by helping to protect homes against damaging wind and rain that can penetrate the exterior cladding. Tyvek® HomeWrap® can also reduce home energy bills by controlling air flow and water intrusion, which helps insulation work better, allowing the HVAC system to work more efficiently. It’s a house wrap engineered to keep homes cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and dry all year round.
Mar 24, 2009
137 posts
131 upvotes
KW
It’s a breathable product….that’s the answer.

As long as it’s fastened properly to the walls. That’s ALL it needs…..
Feb 26, 2019
501 posts
469 upvotes
Ottawa
One of Tyvek’s most important functions is that is acts as the building’s air barrier (not to be confused with vapor barrier). If the seams aren’t taped, it is less effective at that job. It’s not the end of the world, but the house will be less “tight” than if it were taped. In theory, you would see decreased air tightness performance (I don’t know how much).

Did you check Tyvek’s warranty and installation documentation to see what they say on the subject?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17185 posts
19078 upvotes
Oakville
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2021
19 posts
2 upvotes
I have to say, I am a bit confused on this. I have pasted some items from the PDF document and it does say to Tape but then also says Skip-taping terminations and untaped horizontals seams is allowed when Tyvek is being installed as a water-resistive barrier only for buildings less than 5 stories.

I called Tyvek and the Rep told me yes they need to be taped and also emailed me a PDF for Tyvek residential WRB install:

STEP 5
Tape all vertical seams with DuPontTM Tyvek® Tape. If the
DuPontTM Tyvek® WRB is not being installed as an air barrier,
DuPontTM Tyvek® Tape is not required on horizontal seams but is
considered a recommended best practice. Use 3” DuPontTM
Tyvek® Tape for the horizontal seams of DuPontTM Tyvek®
StuccoWrap® and DuPontTM Tyvek® DrainWrapTM. Use DuPontTM
Tyvek® Metalized Tape when taping DuPontTM Tyvek®
ThermaWrapTM LE.

STEP 5
Tape all vertical seams with DuPontTM Tyvek® Tape. If the
DuPontTM Tyvek® WRB is not being installed as an air barrier,
DuPontTM Tyvek® Tape is not required on horizontal seams but is
considered a recommended best practice. Use 3” DuPontTM
Tyvek® Tape for the horizontal seams of DuPontTM Tyvek®
StuccoWrap® and DuPontTM Tyvek® DrainWrapTM. Use DuPontTM
Tyvek® Metalized Tape when taping DuPontTM Tyvek®
ThermaWrapTM LE.

Tilt Wall Instructions
STEP 1 Unroll and secure DuPontTM Tyvek®
WRB over the wall panel. Leave enough lap to
ensure a minimum 6” overlap of the DuPontTM
Tyvek® WRB on all sides except top of the wall.
These flaps allow for a DuPontTM Tyvek®
WRB-to-DuPontTM Tyvek® WRB seal with
adjacent sides. When taping, make sure the
stud marks printed on the DuPontTM Tyvek®
WRB line up with the first stud and that the roll
is plumb.

Continuity
It is important to maintain the continuity of the WRB throughout the building envelope.
The entire wall surface shall be wrapped, including unconditioned spaces. Special
attention should be given to ensure a proper 6’’ overlap at all terminations, seams,
penetrations, and transitions to maintain a continuous downward drainage plane and
WRB. Installing the DuPontTM Tyvek® WRB as an air barrier is the preferred installation
method. However, skip-taping terminations and untaped horizontal seams is allowed
when the DuPontTM Tyvek® WRB is being installed as a water-resistive barrier only for
buildings less than 5 Stories and low-rise multi-family buildings less than 6 Stories with
design requirements that don’t exceed ASTM E1677, 65 mph equivalent structural load
and 15 mph equivalent wind-driven rain water infiltration. All vertical seams must be
taped for both air barrier and water-resistive barrier installations.