[U-Haul] Potential pricing error deal: U-Haul trailer hitches

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 3:25 pm
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1195 posts
449 upvotes
Whitby
is OP just talking about the hitch itself when he considers the price? Because with the ball, pin, wires etc it's about an extra 100 bucks... which is still a pretty good deal... but you know, not 135 like OP is saying... I'm getting 267 for my subaru crosstrek with everything included.
May 10, 2020
2 posts
2 upvotes
Just bought one for my 2017 Honda Pilot, CAD149.95 hitch only, no tax and free shipping. Listed price was the same in USD! Just saved myself over $100! Thanks OP!
Feb 27, 2005
168 posts
43 upvotes
strawberry9999 wrote: is OP just talking about the hitch itself when he considers the price? Because with the ball, pin, wires etc it's about an extra 100 bucks... which is still a pretty good deal... but you know, not 135 like OP is saying... I'm getting 267 for my subaru crosstrek with everything included.
Yes. OP’s was just for the receiver.

When I check my vehicle the price for the receiver doesn’t change when I switch to CAD, but when I input my moms car the price dropped by $10. I tried my brothers car and the price went up. It varies by vehicle.
Apr 29, 2019
13 posts
17 upvotes
Not a car expert, so looking for some advice here. I have a 2019 RAV4. When I look on Toyota they list a hitch for >$1000 from them. Is this the same thing or am I missing something as to why this is at 1/4 the cost.

When I look up the RAV4 options, the prices range under $200, and there are several options for ball mount, hitch ball, etc. How should I determine what is the best option. Thanks for any help
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
2065 posts
303 upvotes
Vancouver
yycRAV wrote: Not a car expert, so looking for some advice here. I have a 2019 RAV4. When I look on Toyota they list a hitch for >$1000 from them. Is this the same thing or am I missing something as to why this is at 1/4 the cost.

When I look up the RAV4 options, the prices range under $200, and there are several options for ball mount, hitch ball, etc. How should I determine what is the best option. Thanks for any help
Lots of great info here: https://www.rav4world.com/threads/tow-h ... st-2781237

Overall the one sold by toyota requires cutting of the bumper. This makes the hitch sit a few inches higher which can be advantageous. The ones sold by uhaul sit below and are not made by Toyota. Both options are very similar just different makes. I personally went with the cheaper of the two. I do not intend on towing, just putting a bike rack on, so the ground clearance was not much of an issue in my opinion. Really depends on what you intend on using the hitch for.
Toyota of course has an up charge on their products and possibly the price you are seeing includes wiring for trailer lights? The $200 price tag does not include the wiring.
You Have No Life If You Can Calculate It Mathematically
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Stabilo7/RFD2.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
1843 posts
880 upvotes
cbcpride wrote: $199.95 Canadian for the Tesla Model 3 hitch.

But I cannot find any reviews on this product anywhere. But it's so much cheaper than the stealth eco hitch.
Keep in mind any of these “cheaper” hitches become inevitable rust buckets in a few years. I wouldn’t put them on anything fancy or where you really cared about your car appearance. The stealth is just that, way less visible so that if/when it rusts it won’t kill you every time you walk past your car's rear end.
Nov 13, 2017
27 posts
51 upvotes
Thanks OP. Just bought the trailer hitch for my MDX. The wiring kit and hitch all came under 200 shipped. The next cheapest option elsewhere was costing me around 300 plus tax.
Deal Guru
Jul 17, 2008
10490 posts
3188 upvotes
How much is a hitch regularly?

My 07 civic cames to 250 and 15 forte to 290, with all the other options.

Did you guys not get those? Only the hitch itself?
Last edited by Messerschmitt on May 23rd, 2020 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 11, 2018
740 posts
672 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: What are you talking about?
You don’t run any wires from the trunk to the battery!
You clearly haven’t installed anything have you?
You are really amusing... Here, I still have the box of the second installation I did.
Images
  • kit.JPG
A human race drowning in materialism.
Apr 11, 2020
7 posts
3 upvotes
MichaelW37467 wrote: No dice for my 2009 Toyota Matrix. =(
May 23rd, 2020 5:34 am

Not sure if someone mentioned to you yet, but I checked it out, and they have availability for 2009 Pontiac Vibe. Since Vibe and Matrix were essentially the same build, joint venture between Toyota and GM, very good chance it will fit your matrix. I checked a couple sites selling hitches, and found some that state they are for both the vibe, and the matrix, so that makes me even more confident this would work.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1203 posts
409 upvotes
razrsharp wrote: Keep in mind any of these “cheaper” hitches become inevitable rust buckets in a few years. I wouldn’t put them on anything fancy or where you really cared about your car appearance. The stealth is just that, way less visible so that if/when it rusts it won’t kill you every time you walk past your car's rear end.
If rusts bothers you just make sure to put a coat of paint when needed.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1314 posts
655 upvotes
Hamilton
FYI, for a 5 year old Camry, self install
Hitch only, USD$174.95 and USD$271.24 with wiring, balls.etc.
when switch to CAD
$144.95 (CAD) and $252.48 (CAD), respectively
install U-HAUL & CAD
$144.95 (CAD) and $267.48 (CAD) (inc lifetime warranty and wiring service plan)

Installation Package, location A

Product subtotal:
$276.75 (CAD)
Installation fee:
$140.00 (CAD)
Tax:
$54.16 (CAD)
Total:
$470.91 (CAD)

Installation Package, location B

Product subtotal:
$256.24 (CAD)
Installation fee:
$140.00 (CAD)
Tax:
$51.50 (CAD)
Total:
$447.74 (CAD)
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4057 posts
3258 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote: My 07 civic cames to 250 and 15 forte to 290, with all the other options.

Did you guys not get those? Only the hitch itself?
What options are you considering? With both vehicles, you can really only use a bike rack or cargo carrier, so you only need the hitch receiver (i.e. "hitch"). You're not going to put on a ball and tow a boat or trailer and thus not require wiring, etc. Sure, they'll sell them to you and people likely do it, but check your owner's manual for towing specs and I'll bet the manufacturers say nope.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13863 posts
14383 upvotes
Oakville
coolintheshade wrote: My daughters 2017 Kia Sportage would cost around $160 for the hitch itself, but install kills the deal, as it’s more than the hitch itself lol.
The install is usually a pretty easy DIY, just a few bolts.
Jul 23, 2008
977 posts
297 upvotes
Anyone know what the difference is between a "round tube" and a "front mount" hitch is?
Thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

FryingPanChuck