• Sep 26th, 2019 5:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1498 posts
1351 upvotes
Vancouver

U.S. plans to shake up international postal rates next month

The U.S. plans to withdraw from yet another international body next month (October 2019), this time the 144-year-old Universal Postal Union (UPU) that governs how the cost of mailing from one country to another is handled. The UPU is trying to negotiate a last-minute compromise this month, and there could be significant effects on postal package costs.
https://business.financialpost.com/news ... businesses

The issue is a familiar one: package post costs from China to North America are too cheap.

Under the current postal system, countries receive a fixed terminal-delivery fee per item under 2 kg, with the net amount paid from the post office of the sending country to the post office of the receiving country as a lump sum each period based on volume and balance in each direction in that period. But "developing" countries pay a special lower rate than developed countries, and the "developing" country that stands out by a huge amount is of course China. That's why your package shipments from China are so cheap compared to shipments within Canada/U.S..

The U.S. says they will withdraw from the UPU unless they get to set their own terminal-delivery rates per country. Canada will likely be affected, both because our retail business associations will push for the same treatment of Chinese direct shipments, and because the U.S. will not want to see goods from China enter indirectly via Canada.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5431 posts
1039 upvotes
I agree with this. China has been exploiting this loophole to her advantage.

Yes, this will mean an end to buying random junk for 50c shipped, but it'll be better for the environment and we'll finally see the true cost of all the "stuff" we consume.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Mar 20, 2011
238 posts
157 upvotes
Langley, BC
Interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on this. The current system for postage definitely has a lot of issues and I'd like to see things improve for sure. Canada Post's refusal to show tracking for anything international sub-EMS is reflective of that. Whether this would be a positive step towards reform is hard to say.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1580 posts
702 upvotes
London
usps has already become a rip off. use to only cost like 7 or 8 bucks to ship small packages like a dvd or video game via first class now even the smallest item cost 17.25 to get to canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1580 posts
702 upvotes
London
CanadaJimmy wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 6:36 pm
Interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on this. The current system for postage definitely has a lot of issues and I'd like to see things improve for sure. Canada Post's refusal to show tracking for anything international sub-EMS is reflective of that. Whether this would be a positive step towards reform is hard to say.
usps does it to but the have only limited it to packages from china hong kong or a couple of those other countries that aliexpress sellers use. i had a package sent to the us from the Ukraine and it had full tracking via registered and it and only took 2 weeks. canada post would have blocked tracking and probably took twice as long if not longer. UPU is actually the reason why sub ems packages no longer have to provide tracking they changed the rules in 2012 saying that the destination post office is no longer required to provide the tracking to customers. now ofcouse its up to the destination country weather or not to show it so Canada post blocked it for all usps just blocked Asia packages.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16065 posts
6227 upvotes
Sometimes people complain about what the US does just because they don't like Trump, but this sort of thing seems long overdue. Why on earth can I get something delivered from overseas to me for $0.06 off ebay?

Yes this will affect all of us - no doubt about it. But someone is losing a bunch of money with this sort of subsidy, and I suspect it's us (directly and indirectly). It really doesn't seem fair.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5020 posts
4120 upvotes
Toronto
Just read a few articles, this could be big, it may eventually decimate cheap shipping from China. Especially all the cheap stuff, many drop shipping companies. Fundamentally it makes sense. For example compare how cheap or free it is to get an item from China, versus trying to send something there. Plus how does it make any sense you could send a small item thousands of kilometers for a few pennies, but costs multiple dollars for something locally. However it will still suck for most of us as the costs will be passed on to consumers.

Potentially the end of dollar items from China and price increases all around for many products.

Also has anyone noticed that many dollar items from Asian countries on ebay are not being received for this year? What is going on, I've had a ton of items go missing and had to request my money back. Initially thought it was Asian sellers messing around, but I got a few tracking numbers that show it entered the country and then just disappeared. Are they destroying all the cheap cables and trinkets? I see most of the stuff from Malaysia especially not arriving at all. Never had an issue until this year.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1580 posts
702 upvotes
London
zentro wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 11:55 pm
Just read a few articles, this could be big, it may eventually decimate cheap shipping from China. Especially all the cheap stuff, many drop shipping companies. Fundamentally it makes sense. For example compare how cheap or free it is to get an item from China, versus trying to send something there. Plus how does it make any sense you could send a small item thousands of kilometers for a few pennies, but costs multiple dollars for something locally. However it will still suck for most of us as the costs will be passed on to consumers.

Potentially the end of dollar items from China and price increases all around for many products.

Also has anyone noticed that many dollar items from Asian countries on ebay are not being received for this year? What is going on, I've had a ton of items go missing and had to request my money back. Initially thought it was Asian sellers messing around, but I got a few tracking numbers that show it entered the country and then just disappeared. Are they destroying all the cheap cables and trinkets? I see most of the stuff from Malaysia especially not arriving at all. Never had an issue until this year.
i normally pay extra for e-packet i hate waiting forever for packages to show up or for them not to show up at all if the seller don't offer e-packet i buy elsewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5020 posts
4120 upvotes
Toronto
aaron158 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 12:12 am
i normally pay extra for e-packet i hate waiting forever for packages to show up or for them not to show up at all if the seller don't offer e-packet i buy elsewhere.
Yeah for certain things I do that as well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5512 posts
1665 upvotes
Space
Nice to see that we have intelligent folks here. I support this as well, for obvious reasons. Deal getting not being one of them ( for once ).
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20334 posts
4290 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Just rename China a developed country.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Dec 26, 2011
608 posts
217 upvotes
zentro wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 11:55 pm
I've had the opposite experience for cheap ebay items from China/HK/Singapore/etc. Everything this year has come in much faster than I expected, well under the estimated times (3 weeks or less in many cases). Whereas last year (and the few before that) some were taking months. I even had a few items I disputed as not having arrived at the last possible minute only for them to then arrive a few months later.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4089 posts
4403 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Canada Post has been delaying packages from China exactly for this reason.

But Chinese sellers already have workarounds for this. I bought some phone cases that were supposed to ship from China(and I expected to wait 2+ months for them), but instead they came from some European countries(Estonia, Ukraine) and arrived within a week of ordering.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1580 posts
702 upvotes
London
er34er34 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 9:54 am
Canada Post has been delaying packages from China exactly for this reason.

But Chinese sellers already have workarounds for this. I bought some phone cases that were supposed to ship from China(and I expected to wait 2+ months for them), but instead they came from some European countries(Estonia, Ukraine) and arrived within a week of ordering.
will only be a time before Canada post catches on though and slows those countries down to though. china sellers use to use Singapore and a couple others before and those ones got slowed down Canada post also blocks tracking from those countries unless its sent ems unlike the usps who will provide full tracking for registered from there they only block china and Hong kong .