U.S. plans to shake up international postal rates next month

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2019 5:14 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19243 posts
3361 upvotes
Toronto
rf134a wrote: I agree with this. China has been exploiting this loophole to her advantage.

Yes, this will mean an end to buying random junk for 50c shipped, but it'll be better for the environment and we'll finally see the true cost of all the "stuff" we consume.
I doubt it'll mean the end. All that'll happen is Chinese companies will rent a few warehouses in the US or Canada and do bulk shipments of the 50c items there and use domestic US shipping rates to sell to Americans. Prices may rise a little bit, but not enough to really make a difference.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34490 posts
4039 upvotes
Winnipeg
Piro21 wrote: I doubt it'll mean the end. All that'll happen is Chinese companies will rent a few warehouses in the US or Canada and do bulk shipments of the 50c items there and use domestic US shipping rates to sell to Americans. Prices may rise a little bit, but not enough to really make a difference.
that would be nice, faster shipping and no worry about customs
Aug 18, 2019
5 posts
3 upvotes
My average delivery window seems to be 4 weeks this year. A week longer than last year.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9323 posts
10882 upvotes
Vancouver
Piro21 wrote: I doubt it'll mean the end. All that'll happen is Chinese companies will rent a few warehouses in the US or Canada and do bulk shipments of the 50c items there and use domestic US shipping rates to sell to Americans. Prices may rise a little bit, but not enough to really make a difference.
That will mean doing their own customs brokerage and paying domestic Canadian/US shipping rates. That's definitely going to make a difference to prices.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6586 posts
5179 upvotes
Canadian retailers want to keep selling us grossly overpriced cheap Chinese garbage passed on as normal, but then get angry when we try to get them directly for China on the cheap instead of paying their rip-off prices. I have zero sympathy for them. Hire Canadians to make stuff in Canada and then I will. Until then, any way I have to bypass this, I will use.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3724 posts
3799 upvotes
Vancouver
We all realize that there's a substantial markup on small items like cables and adapters when you buy them from a Canadian retailer, partly because they are trying to amortize the cost of their Canadian operations over all the items they sell. There are also a lot of individual item sale costs in spite of the low value of the item. Huge distributors in China can skip a lot of those Canadian retail costs, but the cost of shipping a small item to an individual Canadian by mail should realistically make it cost at least as much as Canadian retail. The fact that the Chinese distributor can ship it for free should have made it obvious to everyone that something unfair and unsustainable is going on.