None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3326 posts
2539 upvotes
Montreal

U.S. Supreme Court rules in favour of Amex

The Supreme Court ruled Monday that the card company’s “anti-steering” rules do not violate federal antitrust law. The rules prevent merchants from offering you discounts or incentives to use cards with lower "swipe" fees, like Visa or Mastercard...

All in, swipe fees generate more than $50 billion a year, according to the Justice Department.
“Swipe fees are the engine that powers the whole credit card rewards game,” Matt Schulz, a senior industry analyst at CreditCards.com, said in a statement.
“If those fees had taken a hit, which was a real possibility if the ruling had gone against Amex, it would've been great news for merchants' bottom line but almost certainly would have marked the end of the golden era of credit card rewards
Here's what the Amex court decision actually means for consumers.
1 reply
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5855 posts
4394 upvotes
LaLaLand
I'm not sure a lot changes.

With wireless payments, it's not always apparent which card is being used.

I was recently returned something to a retailer and I originally paid with my Amex through GPay. However, when I returned it, they only wanted to see that my amex existed on GPay. I went to tap, but my default card was MC so the refund went to a different card. It was inadvertent, but welcome because I get more rewards with my Amex than my MC.