Home & Garden

⚡⚡⚡Rental of water softner

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2020 8:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jun 17, 2017
166 posts
19 upvotes

⚡⚡⚡Rental of water softner

What would be the approx cost of renting one from Reliance or Enbridge? Between renting and buying, which one is more cost effective?
16 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
3213 posts
3223 upvotes
GTA
healsio wrote: What would be the approx cost of renting one from Reliance or Enbridge? Between renting and buying, which one is more cost effective?
rental: $30 x 12 months x 15 years = $5400 Purchase : $1400
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4914 posts
3967 upvotes
tew wrote: rental: $30 x 12 months x 15 years = $5400 Purchase : $1400
Is it $30/mth to rent water softener? Seems high. And a water softener is more like 2k+ installed unless you get the cheapest HD or Costco specials which are cheap for a reason
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9929 posts
5223 upvotes
Paris
StatsGuy wrote: Is it $30/mth to rent water softener? Seems high. And a water softener is more like 2k+ installed unless you get the cheapest HD or Costco specials which are cheap for a reason
Water Softeners are not $2k. We have the second hardest water in Ontario and a good one from a plumbing shop runs $800 and you can easily install it yourself with some MAP gas.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1634 posts
852 upvotes
Buy. Buy. BUY.

If you can't afford to buy upfront... Save. Save. then BUY!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6038 posts
2672 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
bizzyseller wrote: Buy. Buy. BUY.

If you can't afford to buy upfront... Save. Save. then BUY!
Even taking out a CC loan may be cheaper than rental, assuming you make the same payment schedule.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
3213 posts
3223 upvotes
GTA
StatsGuy wrote: Is it $30/mth to rent water softener? Seems high. And a water softener is more like 2k+ installed unless you get the cheapest HD or Costco specials which are cheap for a reason
I thought it was for a water heater. I didn't know you could rent a water softener. It will still be cheaper to buy than rent over the life time of the softener.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4914 posts
3967 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Water Softeners are not $2k. We have the second hardest water in Ontario and a good one from a plumbing shop runs $800 and you can easily install it yourself with some MAP gas.
You're not getting anywhere near a good one for $800

You're getting a generic parts bin big box cheap softener for $800 like licensed under Whirlpool name one with a cheap control valve and plastic parts everywhere
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1163 posts
633 upvotes
Ripley
It is never in your interest to rent anything in your house. Buy. Simple math.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9929 posts
5223 upvotes
Paris
StatsGuy wrote: You're not getting anywhere near a good one for $800

You're getting a generic parts bin big box cheap softener for $800 like licensed under Whirlpool name one with a cheap control valve and plastic parts everywhere
Mine came from an industrial plumbing supply store with my buddies plumbing discount, $800. I’ve seen the same model for between $1200-1600. I used to have a Culligan that was over $2k and from the user side, there is very little difference. The Culligan held more 1 more bag of salt, thats about it. Grain wise they are the same. The Culligan failed due to o-rings that are no longer available, so paying more doesnt mean it will last longer when they disco parts. Generic o-rings wouldnt work.

I do know the ones you are talking about, and this ain’t it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33508 posts
7136 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Jerico wrote: Mine came from an industrial plumbing supply store with my buddies plumbing discount, $800. I’ve seen the same model for between $1200-1600.
That is great for you. But how does that apply to the rest of us?

You want to lend us your buddies so we can get a discount? 800$ is not a price we can expect for a quality system.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
11951 posts
8618 upvotes
GTA, ON
Simple arithmetic:

Renting + Enbridge + Reliance = STUPID!
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9929 posts
5223 upvotes
Paris
Gee wrote: That is great for you. But how does that apply to the rest of us?

You want to lend us your buddies so we can get a discount? 800$ is not a price we can expect for a quality system.
Sure. He works in SWO though, so you will have to move here.

Point is, a “good system” isnt $2k. The pool store 500 metres from my house has really good systems starting at $1k which are not the trash you see at box stores or Cdn Tire.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6410 posts
1074 upvotes
Bought mine about 5 years ago, 48000 grains, Fleck 5600SXT valve, a good quality system. I paid $842 which I think included the shipping charges for the skid from Ontario to Manitoba, taxes and some extras like two flex extension water cables. I'm sure that the price has gone up a fair bit since then. It works well and I haven't had any problems once installed. Bought from Aquatell.

You can buy from name brand places like Culligan but they will gouge you pretty good on the price, and from companies like that their systems tend to be proprietary which means down the road you have to buy repair parts only from them at prices which will bring tears to your eyes.

As for the big box store stuff from HD and yes, even Costco, that tends to be the one piece all in one cabinets which aren't very good.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1959 posts
949 upvotes
London
Why the annoying lightning bolts in the title?
For that reason alone, I want to skip this thread.
I can't resist asking the question though.

Top