Can't trust ANYONE now.
Qwesty905 wrote: can we trust drivers though

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2017
1051 posts
738 upvotes
Westmount, QC
engineered wrote: Yea, I think i'll just do pickup if I'm getting food.
Can we trust cashiers though?...

Can we trust cookers though?

At this point, you're entering stuffs from the outside, so you're increasing the risk... it's pretty low
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12299 posts
170 upvotes
Toronto
stephroll wrote: Now if only the service fee would also be 0
how much is the service fee?
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
Jun 1, 2016
372 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto/KW
Aznkid2000 wrote: how much is the service fee?
10% of the order cost.

Honestly pretty negligible (like a dollar per person), and Uber needs to at least come close to breaking even, so I don't see a problem with the service fee still being charged here.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15426 posts
16516 upvotes
Oakville
husamus156 wrote: Can we trust cashiers though?...

At this point, you're entering stuffs from the outside, so you're increasing the risk... it's pretty low
yea, unless you're in a bunker up north there's no way to be risk free. key is to just slow the spread.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14511 posts
27244 upvotes
Scarborough
stephroll wrote: Now if only the service fee would also be 0
Agreed. For most of the restaurants around me, the delivery fee is $0.99 and it's the lowest of the 3 that fees Uber charges (small order, service, delivery). Would've been nice if they temporarily waived all 3 of them. Saving $0.99 isn't exactly going to make me jump to place an order.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15426 posts
16516 upvotes
Oakville
TomRFD wrote: Agreed. For most of the restaurants around me, the delivery fee is $0.99 and it's the lowest of the 3 that fees Uber charges (small order, service, delivery). Would've been nice if they temporarily waived all 3 of them. Saving $0.99 isn't exactly going to make me jump to place an order.
I guess if restaurants are desperate for business they could offer discounts that cover the costs of uber delivery.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
1039 posts
429 upvotes
Remember, food delivery apps can charge restaurants up to 30 percent. Not sure about Uber fees specifically. Ordering from the restaurant direct if they have delivery earns them a lot more
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1770 posts
9646 upvotes
cosmopath wrote: 10% of the order cost.

Honestly pretty negligible (like a dollar per person), and Uber needs to at least come close to breaking even, so I don't see a problem with the service fee still being charged here.
"Uber needs to come close to breaking even" - you're missing the fact that Uber takes 30% of the final order amount from the restaurant, and the "Service Fees" or "Delivery Fees" are additional on top of that.

Uber waiving the $0.99 "delivery fee" they make up is nothing but a publicity stunt. Waive the 30% fee to the restaurant and I'd be impressed.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1340 posts
256 upvotes
GTA
Leverage wrote: "Uber needs to come close to breaking even" - you're missing the fact that Uber takes 30% of the final order amount from the restaurant, and the "Service Fees" or "Delivery Fees" are additional on top of that.

Uber waiving the $0.99 "delivery fee" they make up is nothing but a publicity stunt. Waive the 30% fee to the restaurant and I'd be impressed.
I generally don't trust BlogTO, and unfortunately they didn't provide a reputable source for their 30% claim. Has this been verified by a reputable source yet?

Edit: I googled and found some who seem to verify, but it's all people claiming to work for restaurants... guess that explains why menu items are generally more expensive with these delivery services!
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1770 posts
9646 upvotes
slim_shady wrote: I generally don't trust BlogTO, and unfortunately they didn't provide a reputable source for their 30% claim. Has this been verified by a reputable source yet?

Edit: I googled and found some who seem to verify, but it's all people claiming to work for restaurants... guess that explains why menu items are generally more expensive with these delivery services!
How about the National Post:
Uber Eats charges restaurants a one-time fee between $350 and $500, depending on how many extras they want, such as photography, said Park. The app then charges a 30 per cent commission on each order, though some restaurants may pay a slightly different fee.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5944 posts
2049 upvotes
A lot of restaurants the delivery fee is only $1, Uber makes money by charging restaurants 30% & on top of that, they charge a service fee (10% of your order cost). So basically this promo amounts to $1 off, not really a deal. If you want to support a restaurant, call & order from them directly, so they don't have to pay Uber 30%.
Jul 21, 2013
763 posts
454 upvotes
Calgary
HP_John wrote: A lot of restaurants the delivery fee is only $1, Uber makes money by charging restaurants 30% & on top of that, they charge a service fee (10% of your order cost). So basically this promo amounts to $1 off, not really a deal. If you want to support a restaurant, call & order from them directly, so they don't have to pay Uber 30%.
And how will it get delivered to my house? No way I'm going to stand in line at a restaurant with a bunch other idiots.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1170 posts
1277 upvotes
Qwesty905 wrote: can we trust drivers though
husamus156 wrote: Can we trust cashiers though?...

At this point can you trust the chicken? The cow? The fish? lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6009 posts
2279 upvotes
Toronto
Roger21 wrote: And how will it get delivered to my house? No way I'm going to stand in line at a restaurant with a bunch other idiots.
Can you trust the cook and other staff that will prepare/touch food for you? At least the "other" idiots in line won't be touching your food.

Illegitimi non carborundum