• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 4:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1188 posts
1182 upvotes

Uber Eats just started "Batch Order Routes" & it's terrible

Anyone order Uber Eats lately and have their food arrive much longer than normal? Blame their new "feature", not the restaurant.

Uber Eats started this new "feature" designed to help restaurants, (lol) called Batch order Routes. Basically it allows their drivers to pick up multiple orders from multiple restaurants and deliver them along their route. A driver can pick up up to 4 orders from different stores in a fixed area and deliver 4 orders at a time.So a driver can pick up an order from Store A, proceed to pick up another order from Store B, deliver Store B's menu item to the customer and pickup another order from Store C, deliver store C's order to the customer and then proceed to deliver store A's meal which has been in transit for 30-40 minutes more than it needed to.

They introduced this a few days ago and we have had extreme delivery delays ever since it was implemented. Orders are taking as long as 45-50 minutes to reach a customer after the driver has left our store. Best thing about this new feature is we can choose to "opt out" and have things stay the same but if we choose this option, our customers will incur higher delivery fees and longer wait times as our store is put in low priority in the que.

I think we are done with Uber. Just curious to know if other shave experienced long delays in the last few days?
16 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16175 posts
3543 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like Uber users should only order salads, cold sandwiches and other foods that can be delivered cold and it won't matter...?? lol
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1212 posts
934 upvotes
Toronto
Did not see this when I ordered yesterday. Delivery was on time. Where do you live OP?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1188 posts
1182 upvotes
yesnomaybe wrote: Did not see this when I ordered yesterday. Delivery was on time. Where do you live OP?
Our locations are in the Durham Region area. We have had some deliveries arrive in a normal time frame as we can see the exact time the order reaches the customer but about 1/2 of the orders since this has been implemented are taking much longer than normal after they leave our stores.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1212 posts
934 upvotes
Toronto
HghSsociety wrote: Our locations are in the Durham Region area. We have had some deliveries arrive in a normal time frame as we can see the exact time the order reaches the customer but about 1/2 of the orders since this has been implemented are taking much longer than normal after they leave our stores.
Oh wait, you're the restaurant?
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2008
1032 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
I don't notice anything. Sometimes my driver drops off another delivery before mine but that has been going on for a long time now.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12973 upvotes
Just? I thought this was always a thing.

Also (some) drivers do this with multiple apps anyways so nothing really changes.
It sure sucks for everyone else (the restaurant and the consumer) though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1188 posts
1182 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Just? I thought this was always a thing.

Also (some) drivers do this with multiple apps anyways so nothing really changes.
It sure sucks for everyone else (the restaurant and the consumer) though.
It's always been a thing where a restaurant can have an Uber driver pick up 2 deliveries at the same time from the same location and then deliver them. It's called "batch ordering." This is new; it's a new feature called "Batch order routes" which allows an Uber driver to pick up to 4 different deliveries from 4 different locations which can lead up to 8 different stops before food gets delivered.

Drivers do use multiple apps however this is a lot worse. The amount of orders that have taken extremely long to deliver starting the day this new feature rolled in can't be a fluke. Anyways I was just curious to see if anyone has ordered Uber in the last few days and had extremely long wait times.
Feb 16, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
As someone who is well past platinum and heading towards diamond (meaning I use Ubereats alot - used to be for business travel and per diem and now out of boredom of cooking) I've noticed orders taking WAY longer than they used to. Uber has issued us so many "sorry your order is taking so long" free deliveries, and discounts on next orders we can't even use them lol. I was wondering, it's like been in the last month or so...our food arrives stone cold - we have to microwave all of it. I was so happy when we ordered from our fav fish and chips place and we got a bicycle deliver, which used to suck, but now it's great as they don't generally do a bunch of other drop offs. We're in Toronto proper. Might try skip the dishes or door dash and see.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5784 posts
1908 upvotes
rockarolla99 wrote: As someone who is well past platinum and heading towards diamond (meaning I use Ubereats alot - used to be for business travel and per diem and now out of boredom of cooking) I've noticed orders taking WAY longer than they used to. Uber has issued us so many "sorry your order is taking so long" free deliveries, and discounts on next orders we can't even use them lol. I was wondering, it's like been in the last month or so...our food arrives stone cold - we have to microwave all of it. I was so happy when we ordered from our fav fish and chips place and we got a bicycle deliver, which used to suck, but now it's great as they don't generally do a bunch of other drop offs. We're in Toronto proper. Might try skip the dishes or door dash and see.
If your food is arriving stone cold, picking it up yourself may be a better option. You'd save money on service fees, delivery charge, & tip, & your food would be hotter as well (bonus, ordering direct from restaurant, they don't have to pay Uber 30%). I find after all those extra charges, services like Uber Eats end up being very expensive. If I'm ordering from a restaurant, the last thing I want is stone cold food.
Mar 4, 2010
515 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Hey, so since i was laid off back in April, i've been driving for ubereats and trust me, as a driver this sucks for us as well. When i get a 'ping' it shows i have 2+ orders. It doesn't give me the option to decline one or select route or anything. Today i picked up Mediterranean food, swiped i picked it up then it sent me a block away to a florist. At least i was able to drop off the luke warm food first before dropping the flowers off.

Btw, the base pay for the 25 minutes and 8km was under $10 (gross not net)
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1183 posts
833 upvotes
VANCOUVER
djfunk wrote: Hey, so since i was laid off back in April, i've been driving for ubereats and trust me, as a driver this sucks for us as well. When i get a 'ping' it shows i have 2+ orders. It doesn't give me the option to decline one or select route or anything. Today i picked up Mediterranean food, swiped i picked it up then it sent me a block away to a florist. At least i was able to drop off the luke warm food first before dropping the flowers off.

Btw, the base pay for the 25 minutes and 8km was under $10 (gross not net)
Upvoted. Thanks for the insight.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1643 posts
306 upvotes
BC
I find Uber Eats good & fast. But Restaurant Menus are terrible ordering through a delivery service. Better to order the normal menu and pick up.
If you tell the truth you don’t have to remember anything. – Mark Twain
Jan 2, 2020
42 posts
24 upvotes
I recently placed an order with Uber Eats, $64 for two people with a promo code. Food arrived cold. While it's true you can choose to pick up, some restaurants are only available for delivery.