[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1431 posts
2079 upvotes
Toronto

Uber Eats reveals Canadians’ top comfort food amid COVID-19 pandemic

March 16th to May 10th

The takeout and delivery service collected data on what food Canadians are ordering through its service. These are the top ten most-ordered food items enjoyed by Canadians:
Butter Chicken
Poutine
Miso Soup
Pad Thai
Naan
Fries
Bubble Tea
Edamame
Shawarma
Onion Rings

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/05/14/uber ... ort-foods/
11 replies
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
556 upvotes
M1C
A different list from Richard Southern @richard680news

Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2943 upvotes
easy to make butter chicken with the instant pot.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5681 posts
5076 upvotes
badOne wrote: easy to make butter chicken with the instant pot.
It's just as easy in a regular pot... Tastes better too.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1666 posts
1226 upvotes
GTA West
I am surprised that Pizza didn't make the list. But then, we never order it any more either. We just get one from the freezer now when our imagination runs out.

Yeah, Indian is a big thing and people need to try something besides Butter Chicken and Biryani. Our fave is something called Achari Tikka chicken (marinated in pickle spice and done in the tandoor) with an order of Baingan Burtha (roasted eggplant cooked in sauce). And I am surprised how many people have never tried lime pickle as condiment.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5791 posts
1918 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I am surprised that Pizza didn't make the list. But then, we never order it any more either. We just get one from the freezer now when our imagination runs out.

Yeah, Indian is a big thing and people need to try something besides Butter Chicken and Biryani. Our fave is something called Achari Tikka chicken (marinated in pickle spice and done in the tandoor) with an order of Baingan Burtha (roasted eggplant cooked in sauce). And I am surprised how many people have never tried lime pickle as condiment.
Most pizza places (even independents) have their own in house delivery system already, exceptions would be some of the higher end places. Pizza is still as popular as ever, but vast overwhelming majority order from large chains or their local independents that already have their own drivers (despite also being on Ubereats), so no need to use Ubereats or delivery apps for pizza unless it's 1 of the higher end pizzerias
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4557 posts
1077 upvotes
Regina
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I am surprised that Pizza didn't make the list. But then, we never order it any more either. We just get one from the freezer now when our imagination runs out.

am a big east indian fan, my wife and child dont like it....lamb korma, biryani, butter chicken, paneers...so good
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3545 posts
215 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Ah... so its either Indian or East Asian food.

Makes sense, those are super popular in GTA for people of all backgrounds.
I think its also among the harder things to replicate at home. If you want burgers, onion rings, fries, pizza, etc. you can make them easily at home from frozen in less much time than it takes for the delivery to arrive, but there's not really mainstream options out there for butter chicken, pad thai, etc. at home.

Of course my theory takes a bit of a hit seeing how many people ordered edamame...

I'm not a vegetarian but with indian food I prefer the vegetarian options - especially malai kofta. Very rich and I'm sure its amongst the least healthy options but its great in a roti or with naan.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43704 posts
6935 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Shimso wrote: I think its also among the harder things to replicate at home. If you want burgers, onion rings, fries, pizza, etc. you can make them easily at home from frozen in less much time than it takes for the delivery to arrive, but there's not really mainstream options out there for butter chicken, pad thai, etc. at home.

Of course my theory takes a bit of a hit seeing how many people ordered edamame...

I'm not a vegetarian but with indian food I prefer the vegetarian options - especially malai kofta. Very rich and I'm sure its amongst the least healthy options but its great in a roti or with naan.
Theory... side dish?

Order sushi with edamame
Roll with edamame
Tariyaki with edamame
(Or miso soup)

Not enough people ordered the sushi, rolls, or teriyaki to make the list. But people always enjoy these with miso soup and edamame. Thus making these side dishes near the top.

Kind of like fries/poutine/onion rings. Those can go with burgers/subs/pizza/shawerma, everyone is selling fries and poutine these days.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1666 posts
1226 upvotes
GTA West
Shimso wrote:
Never had that one yet - will try!